Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Alternative methods of contraception

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I've done a search for this but nothing's about that quite covers what I'm interested in.

Basically I'm a bit of a scatty monkey and taking the pill just isn't working for me. I also have a bit of a problem with the constant changing hormone levels, but it's not the main issue for me.

I have a doctor's appointment on Thursday to discuss alternative methods of contraception but wanted to do a bit of homework myself so I'm fully informed when I go. I've looked at the TheSite articles on contraception and now I'd like to hear some of your experiences.

So - coil, implant, patch, injection? If you've had any of them, what have your experiences been? Was the insertion of the coil/implant painful? Is it irritating to have to keep booking appointments to go back for an injection? Have your periods/moods been affected? Cheers.

Comments

• Options
    Hey,

i was on the injection for almost three years, and im gunna go back for it again. for me it stopped my periods completely, which i found brill.

as for constantly having it done, its only once every 12 weeks, so i found that good.
  • Options
    Did it affect you moodwise or your weight or anything?
  • Options
    I have the implant, it didn't hurt having it inserted- just felt like a sharp prick tbh :) My moods haven't really changed, and my periods come once every two months which is rather good :) Also, an implant lasts 3 years!
  • Options
    Did it affect you moodwise or your weight or anything?

I never got any change moodwise or weightwise that i can think of. For me it was the best option, however everyone's different and its finding the right one for you
  • Options
    I've had my coil (Mirena) for two years, and I love it. Insertion was only a little painful for a couple of seconds, and for 5 years, I have protection statistically equivalent to female sterilisation. If you have any more questions, feel free to ask :)
  • Options
    I had the other type of coil. I wouldn't recommend it if I'm honest, however, it hasn't put me off coils completely and I would definitely consider the Mirena one. Insertion wasn't really painful although I did feel like I was having a heavy period for about 12hours afterwards.

I had a few issues with the coil, such as bleeding after sex and heavier periods. I've been led to believe that this is less likely to happen with the Mirena coil though.
  • Options
    I was on the patch for a couple of years and loved it. It's a little unsightly, but I wore it on my ass cheek, so not many people ever saw it, and it did it's job perfectly for 2 years, before randomly deciding to make the skin on my bum blister.

It was a sad day when I had to go back on the pill :(
  • Options
    If you cant handle the hormones in the pill, then DONT go for the injection!!

one of the IUD coils might be a better bet.
    Ive had both types - hormonal and non-hormonal and found both great.
    Hormonal has the added benefit of stopping periods, but if youre particularly sensitive to hormones, it might not be the one for you, even though they are in a much smaller dose than you get in the pill.
  • Options
    Argh that's so not fair.

Rant:
    Everytime i see my doctor i ask for the implant/injection. But, they always end up fobbing me off with the pill

Doctor "the implant is for a more permanant measure"
    Me "No shit sherlock, that's why I'm asking for it"
    Doctor "we'll start you off on the pill then move onto the implant maybe"
    Me = :impissed:

The implant definately seems like the best contraceptive option tho. IMO
  • Options
    jordy wrote: »
    Hey,

i was on the injection for almost three years, and im gunna go back for it again. for me it stopped my periods completely, which i found brill.

as for constantly having it done, its only once every 12 weeks, so i found that good.

Wow... You know in a wierd way, I love riding the cotton pony.

I don't think I'd take the pill, it fucks up the environment. I'd be too scared to go on the injection, or have an implant not because of the pain, but because I'd be scared it'd change my mood or make me put on weight.
  • Options
    Argh that's so not fair.

Rant:
    Everytime i see my doctor i ask for the implant/injection. But, they always end up fobbing me off with the pill

Doctor "the implant is for a more permanant measure"
    Me "No shit sherlock, that's why I'm asking for it"
    Doctor "we'll start you off on the pill then move onto the implant maybe"
    Me = :impissed:

The implant definately seems like the best contraceptive option tho. IMO

Glad it's not just me... I keep asking about having the implant instead... I find it a bit of a pain taking the pill everyday. From what I understand though the pill is far cheaper, microgynon being the cheapest of all, hence why people are usually put on microgynon initially. Bloody NHS :grump:
  • Options
    hi butterfly kisses
    i used to be on the pill, but about 8 months ago changed to the patch as i kept forgetting the pill! i find it brilliant...i have NO moodiness now, only slight cramps the 1st and 2nd days of my period and havent gained weight or had any bad side affects!
    all i will say about it is make sure you stick it down hard, especially around the edges. and if you do use it on your butt cheeks, i find thongs/g-strings greatly increase the chances of my trousers/jeans rubbing it. This happened a few times with me, and as a result the top egde got stuck to my jeans+curled up,losing it stickyness, which makes it less effective sometimes!
    L+C
  • Options
    From what I understand though the pill is far cheaper, microgynon being the cheapest of all, hence why people are usually put on microgynon initially. Bloody NHS

Unfortunately, the NHS has a limited spending pot, and given that contraception is free, they have to rationalise it somehow, especially when you look at the figures, and see that a pill like Yasmin costs 14.50 for 3 months, whereas Microgynon is £2.80 for the same time frame. Not that it's particularly fair to women who suit one brand and not the other, but there is another side to it, not just healthcare professionals being meanies.
  • Options
    Dobbin wrote: »
    Glad it's not just me... I keep asking about having the implant instead... I find it a bit of a pain taking the pill everyday. From what I understand though the pill is far cheaper, microgynon being the cheapest of all, hence why people are usually put on microgynon initially. Bloody NHS :grump:

I'm glad it's not just me, lol I thought it was.

Everyone seems to stroll in and get what contraceptive they want, so not fair. :grump:

I'm fed up of chasing the damn thing around the kitchen floor everyday like my life depends on it. only for it to land in a bowl of cat food! :mad:
  • Options
    My wife has the Mirena coil fitted, and its helped her moods a lot. She doesn't have periods very often anymore, which is a bonus, and its fine for five years. I know there's a few others on here with the Mirena coil, and they all swear by it too.
  • Options
    I have just had the implant fitted about a week ago, previously i was on the pill for nearly two years and although never had any 'accidents' i was becoming more and more forgetful with it!! Having it inserted wasnt too bad you have an injection of local anaesthetic to start with and so its not painful at all, just a weird sensation really like something burrowing under your skin!! (dont let that put you off its not as bad as it sounds). The Doc warned me could be some bruising and jesus there was, half an hour later my arm was jet black all around it! However a week later and there is minimal bruising left although it has gone through all the colours of the rainbow to get there! I think given a couple more days and i wont even know its there....oh apart from the fact you can feel it with your fingers! Its well random!!

In terms of moods/periods etc, the doc told me to continue my pill to the end of the pack so got a few days before all the hormones change over so so far nothings changed!

In terms of doctors fobbing you off with the pill, i went to my doctors surgery and they told me to see a practise nurse- i knew all the info just wanted a professional opinion of side effects from their experience with patients! Biggest waste of time ever, i knew more info about it than her and when i said i wanted to book the app she said the doc who fits them at my surgery is always busy and i would be best going to the family planning clinic. Went there and they were fab....had a consultation, basically where they explained all the side effects and see if i still wanted it, signed the paper, made the app and came back and fitted it no questions asked!
  • Options
    I think from what the doctor, you guys, other online sources and friends have said I'm best off going with the jab. Apparently the implant makes your periods really irregular and heavier, and because my periods are only about 2 days long and really light anyway, the doctor said the injection would probably stop them completely. The coil..... on www.patient.co.uk there's a 'your experiences' bit, and from what everyone's said on there it's agony to have fitted and a lot ofpeople just haven't stopped bleeding for months....

All a bit scary, think the jab sounds best for me, although I really don't want to put on weight at the moment and that's a typical side effect of any hormone contraceptive....