Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

My joints

Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
I just got worked up about something, and decided to release some of it by punching a pillow. A simple soft couch pillow. Now my joints on that hand are hurting.
I've gotten the same kind of pain in the past, in the same way or when I was holding something and pretended to throw it (made the throwing motion but didn't let go).
What could be causing this?

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Punching pillows and pretending to throw something has caused it :p
  • Options
    squeal wrote: »
    Punching pillows and pretending to throw something has caused it :p
    Thank you Sherlock, I'd never have thought this on my own. :p

I don't think it's normal though, is it? ;)
  • Options
    Thank you Sherlock, I'd never have thought this on my own. :p

I don't think it's normal though, is it? ;)

Well i don't think i have ever experienced it. What kind of pain is it? Like a sharp throbbing pain or more like a cramp pain?
  • Options
    Hm, I suppose it has a similarity to a cramp pain... But kind of the opposite, if that made sense.
    This time it was little and lasted little (it's gone now) but in the worst cases, for several minutes afterwards I've felt like my fingers were going to fall off.
  • Options
    Anyone?
  • Options
    I get something similar. For example, if I grip something too hard, at a bad angle, all along the side with the little finger, from the wrist to the knuckle, moves out of place. I don't think it's dislocating, because whilst it hurts I can stand it long enough to flex/smack everything back, which wouldn't happen if it was dislocated.

Joints crack a lot? Mine do, sometimes I never even notice. My fingers occaisionally ache and the only way to relieve it is to crack them, which I don't like doing, but find it too uncomfortable not to.

In any case, the doctor said it was perfectly normal for teenagers to creak. Growing pains perhaps? He wouldn't do anything about it, so it still happens, but if it got to the stage where things were painful often, I'd go back and try to get a referral.
  • Options
    Yes, I crack them often, it's a habit that I've failed to break in the past... But when I asked a doctor about it (a pathologist) he said there's no harm in doing it.
  • Options
    According to my rheumatologist, in a lot of joints (esp fingers and toes) being able to crack them is a sign that they are working properly.

Anyhoo, it sounds to me like you strained your joints a wee bit by punching pillows and whatnot. The little bones and joints in your hands are pretty sensitive.
  • Options
    Ok, but surely it's not normal to feel this every time I punch something, is it? I'm far from being in a good shape, I admit that, but surely not that bad.
  • Options
    Sounds like you may have strained the muscle...
    You could try a supplement to help your joints - glucosamine's very good.
  • Options
    kaffrin wrote: »
    According to my rheumatologist, in a lot of joints (esp fingers and toes) being able to crack them is a sign that they are working properly.

:D! Come tell my mum this? Please? She's forever on at me to stop it, but since I started doing massages my joints in my hands/fingers crack really easily and I've got into a habit of doing it.
  • Options
    In any case, the doctor said it was perfectly normal for teenagers to creak. Growing pains perhaps? He wouldn't do anything about it, so it still happens, but if it got to the stage where things were painful often, I'd go back and try to get a referral.

And there was me thinking I'm weird - my bones (mainly my fingers and knees) creak an awful lot.

So I shouldn't be worried that my wrists click quite alot then?