Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Buying an item, intending to return it...

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
What I'm thinking, is there's a computer case I want to check out. Unfortunately it's in short supply, can only get it from e-retailers. Am I allowed to buy the case, see if it's ok, then return it under distance selling regulations? Is it unethical?

:/ Just can't see how I can check it out otherwise :(

Comments

• Options
    Of course it's unethical.

I thought actually that DSR only applies if they contact you first?
  • Options
    The Distance Selling Regulation applies to all people who sell by the internet, telephone, etc, companies don't get an exception just because you've seen an advert rather than been approached by them.

I assume you're referring to the seven day right to cancel Shyboy? That applies because you haven't, by the nature of buying online, been able to actually see the product.

There are a small number of exemptions (but they don't apply here):

* financial services
    * sale of land or buildings
    * purchases from a vending machine or automated commercial premises
    the use of a public pay phone
    * auctions, including internet auctions
    * rental agreements that have to be in writing (i.e. a lease for three years or more)

There are also a number of partial business exemptions

The information and cancellation provisions do not apply to contracts for:

*accommodation
    *transport
    *catering
    *leisure services, including outdoor sporting events, but only where the supplier agrees to provide these on a specific date or within a specific period.
    *package travel
    *timeshare
    *contracts for the supply of food, drinks or other goods for everyday consumption supplied by 'regular roundsmen'.

And the right to cancel is also withheld from the following

* personalised goods or goods made to a consumer's specification
    * goods that cannot, by their nature, be returned
    * perishable goods (eg flowers, fresh food)
    * un-sealed audio or video recordings or computer software
    * newspapers, periodicals or magazines
    * betting, gaming or lottery services
    * services that begin, by agreement, before the end of the cancellation period providing the supplier has informed the consumer before the conclusion of the contract, in writing or another durable medium, that he will not be able to cancel once performance of the services has begun with his agreement
    * goods or services, the price of which is dependent on fluctuations in the financial market

The law itself gives you broad discretionary rights to cancel an order -

The regulations give consumers an unconditional right to cancel an order. This is to allow the consumer the opportunity to examine the goods or consider the nature of a service.

If a consumer cancels an order, written notice must be given to you by:

* goods : seven working days from the day after that on which the goods are received by the consumer;

You must refund the consumer's money as soon as possible and, at the latest, within 30 days of receiving the written notice of cancellation. The consumer may, at your discretion, be charged the direct cost of returning the goods, but you must tell them about this in the written information you give them.

More info here: http://www.oft.gov.uk/Business/Legal/DSR/default.htm

So Shyboy, it is perfectly legal, but buying an item knowing you are going to return it, and essentially meaning the company will only be able to sell it as returned or second hand goods - yeah, I'd say legal but ethically dubious
  • Options
    Hmmm, well I would keep it if it was ok. I'd keep the packaging together etc. - just want to look at the build quality really, because it's not something you can tell over the interweb. I'll think it through tho, might end up with a shuttle instead lol.
  • Options
    To be honest, if you want to buy something but aren't certain of the quality - but would buy it if it was good enough - well that's entirely ethical and exactly why the law is there to protect you from dodgy online sellers whose products wouldn't stand up to in the shop scrutiny. Be aware that the case refund might not be supplied for 30 days though, and you'd have to pay to return the item.
  • Options
    Yea I wouldn't mind that. It's the Enermax Venus and it looks ok but if it's cheap 'milk tray chocolate holder' plastic then I don't want it. But that would be down to the case, not the seller. *dilemma*
  • Options
    It's the seller mate. But tbh, why buy something that doesn't have airflow?
  • Options
    Fiend_85 wrote: »
    It's the seller mate. But tbh, why buy something that doesn't have airflow?

It's simlar enough to my other mATX case that never topped 45*C :D except that one has a 120, this has space for 2 80s. I would reckon installing both and then using a fanmate to slow the speed down. Not going to be a top end PC anyway, basically used for a small portable (but stylish ;)) do-everything-basically machine. Considering going with AM2 dual core though, not sure the PSU is up to it :p. They're dead cheap now though, £100 for processor and motherboard.

Bear in mind that on my P180 I changed the 3 120 fans from their maximum speed to their minimum (cant quote exact figures but at max speed they sound like a lawnmower lol and now they're silent) and my motherboard temp changed by all of 3*C. CPU remains the same :D (:heart: Scythe Infinity).

Do you know how hard it is to find a nice attractive small case? Apart from graphics, 99% of them are just boxes with no originality at all. Except apples sometimes, but they use different motherboards. We need to get someone to do the design, and then modders can work out the function :).

Also bear in mind on the graphics card I will likely install an aftermarket cooler that will take up an extra PCI slot (as they're often quieter) which pushes air from in the case to the outside.
  • Options
    Yeah you can do that, and I don't see a problem with it. I bought some RAM from Ebuyer, but accidentally bought the wrong type for my motherboard (God knows how I managed that). They took it back no questions because I notified them within 10 days. The only problem is that if you've just changed your mind, I think you are responsible for the shipping costs back to them, so it might be something to consider for something as big as a case. Computer websites are usually pretty good at this sort of thing, because of compatibility issues and things. Ebuyer take anything back up to 3 months and give you full credit for it. Then they introduce a restocking fee after that, depending on how long you've had it. But I did return something to Microdirect, who still owe me about £100 worth of stock, but won't answer their phone, so be wary of which website you're dealing with, and check other customer reviews first. All websites have great customer service until you want your money back for something, at which point a fair number of them seem to disappear.
  • Options
    Because I'm a member of hexus.net I get free shipping with scan.co.uk. But they are the best and I don't want to con them :p.