Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

This is doing my head in

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I'm trying to connect my 360 to the pc but it fails the " Test Media Connection " test at the " Pc Selected " stage. I've tried doing what i can in Sygate to allow what needs to be allowed access so that the files can be shared, which is set up through Windows Media Player 11, for some reason the Windows Media Connect has vanished from my computer but rather than install it again i thought I'd try this method.

This is driving me round the bend, why won't it connect !

Help please : (

Comments

• Options
    I think you also need to allow a shared connection on your network connections.
  • Options
    i used to use media connect but when you install WMP11 it removes it for some reason.

anyway with WMP you need to go into the preferences and set it to auto accept incoming connections, then the 360 should pick it up. then in the wmp11 settings its pretty similar to media connect, just choose which folders you want to share.

im not at home at the moment so dont know exactly the process but it was pretty straightforward when i did it.

i'll double check when i get home.

its pretty good tho. Managed to watch a dvd quality video over wireless last night using it, which used to be a bit flakey over media connect.
  • Options
    SpartaAlbion, yeah that's what i did do first in WMP11 then i did what i could through the firewall to open the ports the 360 requires but i don;t know enough about it to open them all and i cannot find anywhere the right information to guide me on how to set up the firewall so that i can allow the connection and sharing between WMP11 & the 360.

Thanks for those links Koe will check them out now and see what i can do but as i mentioned above because my knowledge of my firewall is not great i cannot figure out how to open the correct ports and the help info that comes with it is next to useless !
  • Options
    www.portforward.com

check that out as well, usually good info there on router/firewall setup for specific purposes.
  • Options
    Cheers for that link about to read it now. Checked out the other links but I'd already read them, none of the links on xbox.com provide me with the info i need which is basically how to open the required ports in sygate to allow an inbound & outbound sharing
  • Options
    Is the basic xbox live working? Am I right in thinking that your just having aggro with getting your media onto the xbox. I had this problem I just kept refreshing it for 5 mins and lo and behold my music showed up.
  • Options
    Checked that link out. It wasnt of use to me for a couple of reasons as I'm about to explain.

I've gone into my routers set up because i've realised upon readiong something on portforwarding that it could very well be, or is, that the router is blocking the sharing rather than the firewall solely. The problem is i'm WAY out of my depth now and i'm not happy playing around with settings like changing stuff to a static IP or dynamic routing or ANYTHING beside the fact that i absolutely guarentee you that as is ALWAYS the case with me messing with anything here would cause something else to fuck up ...

So what do i do .. I don't want to have to turn on windows firewall and rely upon that to firewall the pc whilst connected to the 360 but that is the only way i can do this at the moment.
  • Options
    aha ! I have found the place i need to be in the routers set up to allow sharing, i hope !

Have to go out now so will fix this later Cheers for the help by the way much appreciated :)

ETA: and already i have hit another problem. It won't allow me to have the port range as 0 - 0 but Microsoft do not define a port range for two of the process' that require open ports so how on earth do you supply it with this info if it isn't available or even exists ?