Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Lazy eye

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I have always had one eye smaller then the other, and have now decided to do something about it. I have read about it and I think have "Strabismus". My vision is not impaired, I would just like cosmetic surgery so that my eyes are the same size. I am 17 and still in full time education - starting university in september 2007.

Before I take this any further I was wandering if you guys knew anything about this. What I am interested in is:

How much doesnt it cost? (even though i do get free medicine now on NHS this is cosmetic so I have to pay yeah?)
If I decide to look further into it then should I go to the doctor or optician?
What the surgery consists of.

Thanks

Comments

• Options
    Don't know anything about it i just thought i'd say that i have a slight lazy eye too. It's quite annoying at times when you look back at pictures.
  • Options
    I have a really bad lazy eye, which got worse when i got prescribed penicillin and the allergic reaction went for my eye. My vision is pretty bad (+6.5 and +7.5).

I have spoken to countless opthamologist about getting the lazy eye fixed, but they all strongly advised me not to do it. This is because there is a high risk of it going wrong and then the eye will be lazy in the other direction if you get what i mean.
  • Options
    I thought a lazy eye affected your vision? It does mine anyway.
  • Options
    satehen wrote: »
    I thought a lazy eye affected your vision? It does mine anyway.
    mine too, i can pretty much only see out of one eye...it makes driving hell!
  • Options
    My right eye compensates for the lack of vision in the left. I can see through my left, but it's very blurry. I'd love to get lazer eye surgery.
  • Options
    satehen wrote: »
    My right eye compensates for the lack of vision in the left. I can see through my left, but it's very blurry. I'd love to get lazer eye surgery.
    again so would i, but because my vision is so bad its advised i dont :(

But i do find wearing contacts makes my lazy eye more pronounced and obvious, then when i switch back to wearing glasses it almost disappears. Jenni30, maybe you should go for an eye test, even if your prescription is very weak it may help with the lazy eye.
  • Options
    hello, i had a very bad lazy eye when younger - i looked cross eyed on one side. so they corrected it!!! but... 5 years later the eye starts moving to look outwards!!! so more surgery to fix that!!! oh and the sight in the eye is permanently changed so i have double vision into the bargain

now 10 years later it is again going to move out - its very gradual, now i have so much scarring on the muscles around my eye (inside) they are not sure if they can repair it this time.

think very carefully about what you want to do - i know it can be hard when it is your eyes.

i do agree with amira that wear my glasses not contacts really helps!!! not even sure exactly why but it does :)
  • Options
    Amira wrote: »
    Jenni30, maybe you should go for an eye test, even if your prescription is very weak it may help with the lazy eye.

I dont have glasses or contacts at all. I know my vision isnt perfect but i dont want to wear glasses, im perfectly happy with it as it is. If it gets worse Ill consider it.
    i can pretty much only see out of one eye...it makes driving hell!

Talking of driving - I passed my test yesterday!!! :yippe: :D :thumb:
  • Options
    I wrote an email yesterday to an optemetrists (sp) who do the treatment asking lots of questions about it (most importantly the price), and they sent one back with no information at all just that they dont do under 18's! Thats really wound me up they could at least tell me something about it...grrrrrrrr:mad:
  • Options
    i know you said you dont want to wear glasses, but id consider it if your vision isnt 20/20. It could help a lot with your eye.
  • Options
    *puts on optometry student hat*

Strabismus is where an eye turns in/out/up/down in relation to the other. The fact that you are complaining of one eye being smaller than the other, and the fact that you have pretty good vision doesn't sound like strab to me. Someone with a strab will have poor vision in the turned eye.

A smaller, or sunken eye is called enophthalmus. Can you post a pic, so we can see what your eyes look like?