Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Gatwick Airport

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
Hi,

Am getting a flight from Gatwick that leaves at 6am, so obviously I need to be there at 4.

I may not be able to get a lift there, in which case i will have to go on public transport, namely trains. This will mean that I either spend 3 hours waiting around Victoria station, or 3 hours waiting around in Gatwick airport, between midnight and 3am ish.

I can't really afford a hotel :( and not much point, seeing as ill only be in it for a few hours. So am thinking that Gatwick will be a safer bet, unless anyone has any other suggestions?

so yes, questions are has anyone been to Gatwick? and do they know whether security is before or after the shopping area? obviously if it's before there's no way i'll be going through before my check in opens, but if not then i might just sit there for a while.

Other question is i've heard its got Wifi access in The Avenue, does anybody know where that is? is it in the shopping?
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    You would be better at Gatwick normally. More likely of having open facilities as well of course as the guarantee that you will be there.

I dont know when exactly you are travelling but there is normally two trains per hour throughout the night during the week, one from Victoria and the other from Kings X Thameslink and Blackfriars.
  • Options
    It's with Monarch airlines... a cheap cheap flight to granada!

well as long as there's shopping before i get to check in then i should be ok i reckon, i can just bunk down somewhere for 3 hours.

I've been checking the gatwick express, which stops at half 12 and starts again at half 3. Is there another train service i should be looking at? I'll be coming into Marylebone from home.
  • Options
    I think there is a train that runs all through the night but i'm not sure where it departs from - was having a random converation about this with someone the other day.

There is a big shopping place upstaris called the gatwich village but most shops shut early like 9pm or so - but mc donalds or somewhere might be open to keep you topped up on coffee. I'm sure there will be loads of other people there in the same predicament as you - so you won't be alone.
  • Options
    Well my only train into london gets me there at midnight, so that's really where my problem lies, if only it ran later!!

yeah i'd rather be sat in the airport then some train station in london i think i'll feel safer.

Thanks for your help guys, and Rachie don't worry u were still helpful!! Am used to online checkin with BA but monarch dont do it yet for gatwick flights.
  • Options
    There will be late night trains from Victoria/Kings X Thameslink to Gatwick. Best to spend a couple of hours at Gatwick, the shops might not be open, but it will be a lot, lot safer.
  • Options
    JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    I've been checking the gatwick express, which stops at half 12 and starts again at half 3. Is there another train service i should be looking at? I'll be coming into Marylebone from home.

First Capital Connect from Kings Cross Thameslink, and Blackfriars.

Definately Monday - Friday and Sunday but not sure bout Saturday nights overnight, I would expect it to run though.