Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Landlord threatening to fine me

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I had a letter pushed under my door from my landlord (or property management firm as he prefers to call himself :rolleyes: ) last night. It said if the occupants of my house do not put our rubbish out properly, we will all be fined £15.

I live in large house converted into six flats. Between us all we only have one wheelie bin, which is collected once a week. Seeing as there are around 10 people living in the whole house, every other week or so, I will put the wheelie bin out and/or bring it in. There's no schedule or rota for this, but if I notice it out I bring it in. I don't really know the other people in the house.

Can he really fine me £15? I can't be held responsible for other people can I?

Comments

• Options
    bloody hell - we have a large and a small wheelie between 4 of us
  • Options
    Does he mean what you are actually doing with the wheelie bin as in bringing it in/taking it out, or does he mean what you are doing with the rubbish ie. putting in the wheelie bin or not, what you're doing with recycling etc?

From what you've said about the note I'd assume the latter.
  • Options
    Does he mean what you are actually doing with the wheelie bin as in bringing it in/taking it out, or does he mean what you are doing with the rubbish ie. putting in the wheelie bin or not, what you're doing with recycling etc?

From what you've said about the note I'd assume the latter.

Well I think no one took the bin out at all last week. And sometimes it isn't brought in fast enough. I work all day and don't get back till late so wouldn't be able to bring it in until the evening anyway (the bin collection is about 7am). The note also said the bin was overflowing and people were putting bags of rubbish just on the pavement (well that would be because the bin is full as one bin is not enough for 10 people!)
  • Options
    I'd pop him a note back saying that if he doesn't provide sufficient and adequate recepticles for the rubbish of 10 people you'll fine him £15 a week.
  • Options
    RubberSkin wrote: »
    I'd pop him a note back saying that if he doesn't provide sufficient and adequate recepticles for the rubbish of 10 people you'll fine him £15 a week.

:yes: To be fair, one bin between ten in a week is ridiculous. There's four of us, and we've filled our bin within 5 days or so, and our rubbish is all combined (food and kitchen rubbish etc). Ten people living in seperate flats? That's ridiculous IMHO.
  • Options
    One of you need to ring the council and tell them how many of you live there and that you need adequate bins for the amount of people.
    It's not up to your landlord to do this.
  • Options
    I'd also check your contract to see if this is covered. If not then he has not right to fine you at all - besides on what basis is he making the claim that something isn't done correctly, his word? Photographs? Has he explained how he thinks it should be done?

Sounds like he's looking to make some easy cash to me...

Finally, how is he financially affected if you don't do it right? If he isn't then why does he think that charging you is okay?
  • Options
    Tweety wrote: »
    One of you need to ring the council and tell them how many of you live there and that you need adequate bins for the amount of people.
    It's not up to your landlord to do this.

I'm thinking that maybe the reason why there is only one bin is that the landlord has illegaly divided up the house as the council normally provides one bin per dwelling. However some evil councils make you pay for your bins - but my lovely council doesn't.
  • Options
    Yeah, that or the fact that when you moved in there was only one bin and no one told the council otherwise so they don't know to provide one.
    Remember not all council departments talk to each other.
  • Options
    That sounds rather dubious. And it is the landlord's responsibility to ensure that the bins provided are suitable for the purpose, although it's usually quicker to ring the council yourself.

If it isn't in the contract then he legally has no right to do such a thing. Of course he has a large wedge of your cash in his bank account, so good luck getting it back from him, though.

Landlord = cunt.
  • Options
    I'd also check your contract to see if this is covered. If not then he has not right to fine you at all - besides on what basis is he making the claim that something isn't done correctly, his word? Photographs? Has he explained how he thinks it should be done?

Sounds like he's looking to make some easy cash to me...

Finally, how is he financially affected if you don't do it right? If he isn't then why does he think that charging you is okay?

Because £150 a week is a nice bit of pocket money probably!
  • Options
    Without trying to look like a spammer ;)

I'd ask Shelter through askTheSite, you'll get a definate personal answer that should clear up any legal issues - though I find it hard to imagine a landlord can just invent fines.

You can ask a question here -

www.thesite.org/community/askthesite
  • Options
    Nikki* wrote: »
    :yes: To be fair, one bin between ten in a week is ridiculous. There's four of us, and we've filled our bin within 5 days or so, and our rubbish is all combined (food and kitchen rubbish etc). Ten people living in seperate flats? That's ridiculous IMHO.

we get a bin per 5 people every two weeks. any additional rubbish we make (loads) has to be put in special bags at £15 a roll.
  • Options
    How does binbags cost £15?!
  • Options
    It'll be like the Swiss system, you're not only paying for the cost of the binbag, but for the cost of dealing with the rubbish inside it.
  • Options
    Just to say the rest of the general debate on landlords is now over here -

http://vbulletin.thesite.org/showthread.php?t=112063

where it fits a bit better and leaves this thread for the specific situation of the OP