Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

That great land of freedom and democracy that is the USA...

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Have broken the record jail term for keeping a journalist behind bars.

Story.

Good to see the US justice system isn't afraid to use legal technicalities to bend the law when it suits them, what a load of bollocks.

Comments

• Options
    If his video could be helpful in the trial of someone who killed a copper then he should hand it over, there is protecting your sources and then there is just being stubbon.
  • Options
    I agree. If anyone was hurt or killed, he should hand the evidence over.
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    :lol:

From a country that moans at China for imprisoning Jouranlists.

Atdimatley he is in the wrong. But does he really need that huge a sentence? He's a journo ffs - if they offered him some cash, I bet he'dforget his ethics immediatley and hand it over. That's the Journo's way!
  • Options
    budda wrote: »
    If his video could be helpful in the trial of someone who killed a copper then he should hand it over, there is protecting your sources and then there is just being stubbon.

To what ends though, should our intelligence services give up their informers?

Principle is the same.
  • Options
    To what ends though, should our intelligence services give up their informers?

Principle is the same.

No, the principle isnt the same at all, this isnt a 'source' this is a piece of video footage that he shot. If it was some high level mole in the Police Force who was gaining information on racism or corruption then your point would stand, but there is no source here.

I fully back the idea that journalists should be able to protect their sources but that isnt the case here. But, having said that I really dont think he should be going to jail for it, there must be some way of coming to an agreement.
  • Options
    right to remain silent i say
  • Options
    right to remain silent i say

Which really has nothing to do with this case at all.
  • Options
    Teh_Gerbil wrote: »

Atdimatley he is in the wrong

Is he bollocks wrong.
  • Options
    Of course he is wrong.

He has taken a video which may have evidence in which some poor guy has had his fucking skull fractured! He could of been killed.

Why should not hand the tape over?

What if some kid was getting molested in the background, you'd all expect him to hand over then right......?
  • Options
    Why should journo's be above the law? Would he be refusing to hand it over if it was a couple of protesters been given a kicking by the police.

Still journos whatever there creed or politics stick together so you're unlikely to hear any criticism of him in the media.
  • Options
    There is no point of him holding to that tape unless he was doing something in which he could be implicated.
    And the prosecution is completely within it's powers in terms of the law written.
    The journalist is trying to make a statement for personal reasons, that's what it looks like to me.
  • Options
    Okay, just reread the story.

Journo is in the wrong, unless the film may incriminate him. If so then he is completely within his rights although he hasn't actually argued that point...
  • Options
    Okay, just reread the story.

Journo is in the wrong, unless the film may incriminate him. If so then he is completely within his rights although he hasn't actually argued that point...

You really should read these things before commenting.
  • Options
    I know :(

Mind on other things.
  • Options
    You think having a baby is an excuse? PAH! ;)