Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Grammar help!

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Just quickly:
Would I write "an unique" or "a unique"? Both sound odd.
Is it the same as in "an historian" or just normal?

ETA Microsoft Word spellchecker is telling me it's 'a' but it's wrong so often that I don't quite believe it!

Comments

• Options
    I would say a.

What's the rest of the sentence?
  • Options
    I believe it's "a unique"
  • Options
    Glittery wrote: »
    I would say a.

What's the rest of the sentence?
    " Each vowel sound has a unique formant pattern."

xsazx - it's definitely "an historian", they just tell you about the following consonant thing in primary school to help you out a bit, it's actually more complicated. It's the sound rather than the spelling that matters, if you say it, yoo-neek it's a consonant.
  • Options
    " Each vowel sound has a unique formant pattern."
    A then I'd say.
  • Options
    Cool beans, thanks!

You know when you look at something for so long that it doesn't make any sense at all? Yeah, it's like that!
  • Options
    Oh no, not orthographic vowels or whatever the hell they're called. I think it the case of a word like "unique" it is technically correct to use "an" but both are acceptable these days. Of course, I could be totally wrong :razz:
  • Options
    This degree has messed me up! All day we are encouraged to question the boundaries between vowels and consonants and discard the orthography and so the whole thing becomes blurred and I HAVE NO IDEA HOW TO WRITE anymore. Which is a pain because it's quite necessary in a linguistics degree.

Also, 500 words? What is WITH that? I need far more! :razz:
  • Options
    I think it does go on the sound. Historian has a vowelly sound like 'ist' so is an, unique has a consantanty sound like 'yoo', so it's 'a'. Basically, I'm just repeating what KHSS said.

A unique occurence. - sounds so right.
  • Options
    'A unique' according to Strunk & White.
  • Options
    Editor Dom says both are probably correct but we'd always use 'a unique'
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    I always go based on how it's pronounced. So, "a unique" and "an historian".
  • Options
    Thank you both :)

Assessment is now done, woohoo. Time for cake :D :birthday:
  • Options
    There's a few anomalies like that.

"A European" is another one.
  • Options
    An historian sounds odd.
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    An historian sounds odd.
    Maybe it depends on how silent the "h" is... I've heard it both ways.
  • Options
    The 'a/an' rule works by reference to the oral realisation of the word, rather than it's orthographic representation.

<a> goes before consonants, <an> goes before vowels.

In the case of 'unique', although it begins orthgraphically with a <u>, phonetically it begins with a /j/, which isn't a vowel, it's a voiced palatal approximant (I know you know what this means KHSS :).

It's the same with 'historian'. If it's realised with a voiced glottal fricative /h/, then normally it would be with <a> (cause it's before a consonant). But if it's h-deleted (like in London accents), then <historian> would begin with a vowel, and the article would be <an>.

Oh, and formants? Guessing you're doing acoustic phonetics right now? Mmm, so much fun! :D
  • Options
    :yes:
    I love being able to understand everything you just said there.

I was really struggling with acoustic phonetics until I read a chapter by Ladefoged and now everything is clear and lovely. The course we're doing is Phonological Variation and Change, and we've just been given our big projects to do. I think I am going to look at t-glottaling in a Newcastle dialect, and comparing style or gender. The best part is that we don't have to collect our own data, as we are using the EViE corpus.

I have ear training tomorrow, a whole hour of making noises. GREAT fun :D
  • Options
    An historian sounds odd.

More than odd... just sounds completly wrong. Must depends how it's pronounced. :confused:

I read 'unique' as 'antique' several times in confusion... I must be really tired :rolleyes:
  • Options
    KHSS: Yeah, it's good being able to type it and know you get what I'm talking about. Few people outside of linguistics would know what a 'voiced palatal approximant' is!!

Your topic sounds really interesting. I'm trying to think who's worked on Newcastle English. Paul Foulkes has written an article on t-glottaling in Newcastle. You can get it http://www-users.york.ac.uk/~pf11/ICPhS99-glottals.pdf

Gender and style are intimately related. If you want to go down that route you definitely need to read Penny Eckert's work, esp. her stuff with Sally McConnell-Ginet (it's called 'Think Practically and Look Locally: Gender as a Practice-based Practice') If your uni is a member of JSTOR (which it should be through ATHENS), you can get it online http://links.jstor.org/sici?sici=0084-6570(1992)2%3A21%3C461%3ATPALLL%3E2.0.CO%3B2-U

What's the EViE corpus?
    If you need anything else, give us a bell :)
  • Options
    I would say "an unique" for the same reasons as The King of Glasgow stated. It's like "an umbrella". Isn't it? I think...
  • Options
    Well, 'an umbrella' isn't like 'an unique' because 'umbrella' starts with a proper vowel. 'unique' looks like it starts with a vowel, but it actually starts with a oral consonant, so it take 'a' as its article. So technicially, it should be 'a unique' (consonant) and 'an umbrella' (vowel).
  • Options
    Paul Foulkes was supposed to be lecturing this module but he is on research leave, Ros Temple is doing it instead. All the material was prepared by him though. We're only to do one variable, so it will be either gender or style. I don't want to do by region because I'm lazy. :p

The EViE corpus is "International Variation in English" Clicky

And thanks!