Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Pakistan cricket board racially discriminate against cricket umpire

Story.

And who'd have thunk that the only person to be sacked because of the Pakistanis' disgraceful actions is a white Australian.

Having said that, I give you 10/1 on that he will be found against, and the Pakistanis will get away with it, simply because he's a white Australian male.

Thoughts?
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I'm no expert on either cricket or the racial attitudes of Pakistanis, but I don't see any evidence whatsoever (beyond the flimsiest circumstantial) that there has been racial discrimination here. Just looks to me like they're pissed off because they think he made a mess out of that test match so they don't want him as an umpire.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote: »
    Story.

And who'd have thunk that the only person to be sacked because of the Pakistanis' disgraceful actions is a white Australian.

Having said that, I give you 10/1 on that he will be found against, and the Pakistanis will get away with it, simply because he's a white Australian male.

Thoughts?

Why would racial discrimination by South Asians be anymore likely to lead to a white Australian getting punished than a black Dominican?
  • Options
    I think he'll be found against because he did a crap job.
  • Options
    Oh, I think he did an excellent job. And that's why they're so upset.
  • Options
    Let's see. Two umpires rule against Pakistan. One is complained about and removed from the list, the other carries on as previous.

What's the difference between the two?
  • Options
    Let's see. Two umpires rule against Pakistan. One is complained about and removed from the list, the other carries on as previous.

What's the difference between the two?

Hair was the senior umpire and effectively made the decision, the other guy just went along with it? Thats what the Pakistanis are saying anyway, and from what I remember of the test thats how it appeared, at least.

Anyway, there are plenty of differences between the two (age, nationality), if there is no evidence that it was a decision based on race why would you assume that that was the reason?

Hair's integrity is also questionable considering his offer to resign for a large amount of money.
  • Options
    carlito wrote: »
    Thats what the Pakistanis are saying anyway,

Of course they are.

Just like they claim that he has always been biased against "sib continent" teams, thus insinuating racism on his part.
    Hair's integrity is also questionable considering his offer to resign for a large amount of money.

Something which was leaked by whom? I'd say his integrity is the least issue here, especially when you consider the integrity of a team who refused to play a game and then allowed drug cheats to avoid the rightful bans. And let's not even start with with raking of the pitch in India. Rules seem to mean little to the Pakistan Board and team.

I think he was trying to maintain some honour with the contract thing. He would resign to save the ICC and they would honour the value of his contract. Seemed like a good deal to me.
  • Options
    Of course they are.

Just like they claim that he has always been biased against "sib continent" teams, thus insinuating racism on his part.

Something which was leaked by whom? I'd say his integrity is the least issue here, especially when you consider the integrity of a team who refused to play a game and then allowed drug cheats to avoid the rightful bans. And let's not even start with with raking of the pitch in India. Rules seem to mean little to the Pakistan Board and team.

I think he was trying to maintain some honour with the contract thing. He would resign to save the ICC and they would honour the value of his contract. Seemed like a good deal to me.

I don't care either way and don't really know much about the ongoing saga.

But to me as an outsider it seems the whole debacle is a clash between one specific (rather tactless) personality and the Pakistani cricketing authorities. It seems to me like race is just being used (by either side) as a stick to beat each other with, which just isn't cricket. If the Pakistanis banned all white umpires or showed showed any kind of systematic bias, I'd give the opinion some credibility. Otherwise it just seems incidental to me that Hair is white - if he were black, Chinese or native American they'd still think he was a prick because he ruled against them on an important and controversial decision.
  • Options
    I think that the question is, when two umpires agree a decision, why do they only complain about the white one?

It's enough to form a case you know.
  • Options
    I'm not saying he's a good or bad umpire, but doesn't he has a long history of controversial and protested decisions against Pakistan?

If so, they are prejudiced against him because they perceive him to be a bad umpire or biased towards them, not because of the colour of his skin. The Domincan umpire doesn't have a previous history of controversy does he?

And what about the ICC? Are they 'racists' as well?
    ICC bosses have admitted that, prior to the meeting off all Test-playing nations, they had hoped Hair could continue his role on the elite panel of umpires.

But afterwards, ICC president Percy Sonn said: "It was clear from discussions that the ICC board had lost confidence in Mr Hair."

Now it is quite possible somebody has it in for this chap. But the colour of his skin has bugger all to do with it IMO.
  • Options
    The Pakistanis hold a lot of sway within the ICC, and everyone knows that.

Hair is a very good umpire, and the only problem that the Pakistani authorities have with him is that he is a white Australian. That much has always been true. That, and he has an uncanny ability to notice and point out Pakistani cheats (of which there are many).