Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Things to think about when renting a place....

Ok, in June I'm moving to Manchester. My last exam is in May and my accomodation contract for my place at Uni ends at the end of June.

Thing is, I don't know if I'm going to be able to get a job that quickly (before the end of June). I was planning on going on holiday but tbh, I think that might be put on hold because of sorting all this out anyways.

Thing is, will I be able to get a place to rent if I don't have a job? I mean, of course, I'll be looking for a job and I'll be wanting one ASAP but it could take me a few weeks to find one. I suppose my best bet will be to go to employment agencies in Manchester at the end of May and hope they'll sort me out with a job pretty quickly. I could always commute for a short while.

I have saved up a few grand through working stupid hours in the Summer and this is what I saved it up for - for providing me a few months rent if I needed it.

From all of the renting agencies I've looked at online, they all seem to want a employers reference with your current salary on them. Thing is, I'm going to need a place to live in Manchester before I get a job there although as I've previously mentioned, I could commute for a short while but this would be a pain. I have savings to live off until I sort myself out. Will agencies be understanding of this or will they still require a reference?

Also, I'm sharing a flat with my friend and we are going to split the costs of a flat between us. Will it be possible to have a separate contract each? I mean, what if for example, my flat mate can't pay the rent, will I be responsible for paying it? Although I trust her, this could easily happen and it does worry me slightly.

What things do I need to think about when renting out a place to live? This is all sorta new to me. I mean, I've been renting out accomodation all throughout Uni and have been paying for it all by myself but its been pretty easy to sort out as everything is included in the rent. I know you need to think about extra costs such as TV licence, council tax, water rates, electricity, telephone/internet line, gas, etc. How much extra on average would this add per month? Is there anything else I've missed?

Also, if I was to go to an agency, eg. Reeds Rains, how much would they charge to help us find a place?

Sorry for all of the questions. I know its only February but I kinda wanna know what I'm sorta doing come May!
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    You can rent a student property without a job but its hard without one, although there are ways to get round it. You can explain the situation and offer to provide a guarentor, they will agree to pay the rent if you can't/don't. Alternatively you can have the contract in your friends name if she has a job and then she pays all the rent each month and you pay your half into her bank account. That way they wouldn't need you to have a job because as far as they're concerned you're not paying. This depends on the relationship with your friend, and also you wouldn't be able to have seperate contracts. The letting agency/landlord may not be happy with this arangement, although I have known people do it for one reason or another. If you have enough money saved up you can offer to pay 6 months in one go, often contracts are for 6 months anyway so you'd be sorted. You'd have to sort this with the actual landlord of the property as they decide how they want paying
  • Options
    I won't be a student then. My last exam is in May and I graduate in June/July.

Also, about the bank account thing, won't it have to come out of one of our accounts anyways? Would we not be able to get a account between us both or do you need to be married for that sorta thing? :lol:
  • Options
    It's always difficult when you move to a new place to get yourself sorted, so it's good that you've got a bit of £££ to tie you over if need be.

I did it the other way around, I got a job first then got a flat sorted. Think I got the job in December time, and a flat in the first week of February. I communted on a five hour round trip every day, bit of a pain but I got there in the end.

Have you thought about flat sharing for a bit? I know it's strangers and everything, but it's a hell of a lot cheaper and a hell of a lot less hassle trying to get one sorted out. More often than not it's done through private landlords looking for someone to take a room, so you probably won't need to prove you've got a job. The deposit for renting a flat can be a pain to get together, but for a flatshare it's usually less because you're paying a lot less rent, so if the deposit is a months rent then it's usually less. Also they tend to be a lot more flexible with contract length, and six months is a good time to look for a proper flat.

Sorry if that sounded like a party political broadcast on behalf of the Flatshare Party, but it's really good if you're moving somewhere new and need to get something sorted.
  • Options
    I definatly agree - getting a room in a house is easy and a lot less hassle free, while you get your feet on the ground.

I meant if the rent is coming out of her account they might not bother you about a job because the money is coming out of her account and she's agreed to pay it all. Obviously you give her your half though! She would need to trust you though, and a lot of letting agencies still might not accept this. Maybe you could get a joint account haha I dont know! Pretend you're lesboxes or something
  • Options
    I've looked into house shares and it isn't really something I want to do. I've been there and done that for the past 3 years and tbh, sharing a flat with my friend isn't that much more expensive! Getting the deposit and months rent up front isn't a problem. As I've said, I've saved up quite a bit of cash. It won't be as much either as me and my friend have agreed to split it all equally.

I will have to talk to her about taking it out of her account. Its quite alot to ask of her though. Then again, its going to have to come out one of our accounts unless the landlord can be paid in cash.
  • Options
    You won't get a flat without a job, as you have to prove you have the income to support the rent. You can get the rent guaranteed by someone- if you don't pay up they will- but if you don't have an income at all you'll still find it hard.

The agencies around here tend to charge half of one month's rent + VAT as an admin charge, which is fucking disgusting and they should have their hands chopped off, common thieves that they are.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote: »
    The agencies around here tend to charge half of one month's rent + VAT as an admin charge, which is fucking disgusting and they should have their hands chopped off, common thieves that they are.

:crazyeyes Really? Thats how much they charge?

Ewww. I think I shall look for something myself then! What a rip off.
  • Options
    Other agencies in other areas do only charge a "credit check" fee, usually about £100 + VAT, but the estate agencies around here are disgusting. They also get the first month's rent + VAT from the landlord, they're just greedy fuckers who should have their faces stoved in with a blunt instrument. All of them.
  • Options
    I will have to talk to her about taking it out of her account. Its quite alot to ask of her though. Then again, its going to have to come out one of our accounts unless the landlord can be paid in cash.

When I shared a house the landlord set up a direct debit with us from each of our bank accounts, which was nice and simple. A group of my friends had a landlord who wanted just one direct debit, so one of them set up a bank account and everyone paid their part of the rent into it each month. If one of them didn't pay and the bank charged a fee (as they usually do if you try to withdraw money that isn't there), the person who hadn't paid was liable for the fee. If you're friends I'm sure you can sort something out along those lines.
    I know you need to think about extra costs such as TV licence, council tax, water rates, electricity, telephone/internet line, gas, etc. How much extra on average would this add per month?

I noticed no-one's answered this yet, and I can't be much help because one of my housemates had all the extra bills in his name and just asked me for a cheque every so often. It's good if you can get a property with water rates included, usually they are nowadays but some places still have water meters, and that can get really expensive. As for gas and electricity, it depends on the size of the house, how toasty you like it to be, how many computers and other electrical stuff you're running, etc etc. As a rough estimate, my friends say maybe £50-100 a month. TV licence is £131.50 for a year. Telephone/internet depends on the provider, but it shouldn't be more than £25 a month (not including calls).
  • Options
    It depends on the letting agent what they'll let you do about paying rent, credit checks etc.

The agency I'm renting through in Manchester charged us a £100 + VAT admin charge and took the 1st and last months rent off us up front, but we haven't paid a deposit otherwise. We've got a joint tenancy but have a clause that says what proportion of the rent we each pay and that amount comes out of each of our bank accounts. Which means that if he doesn't pay his rent I'm not responsible for it and vice versa. As for reference checks, because the agency deal with a lot of students they weren't particularly fussy. they wanted a reference from a previous landlord and then just some proof of earnings or a guarantor.

My last letting we set up a joint account between the 2 of us, which we each paid a certain amount in each month and that went for paying all the bills and the rent as well.
  • Options
    I know this probably a stupid question but do they do credit checks on the guarantor?
  • Options
    I don't think they did for this letting, but my previous one they did and my original guarantor was rejected. £34 a time extra for reference checks I was a little annoyed to say the least especially when it was only because I was classed as a student for the first 6 weeks of the tennancy.
  • Options
    Meh. My guarantor would definately be rejected then! He's bankrupt! Bugger. Thing is, I'd never actually have to take money off him! I've got my savings to live off until I find a job.

I think the best thing to do is to get a job beforehand. Its going to be really hard though to get a job before sorting out a flat. I have to do it all in the space of a month. Do you have to be working for a certain length of time before you can get a reference off them?
  • Options
    A friend's mum was able to rent somewhere through an agency if she paid 6 months upfront. She didn't have a job, had just gone through a divorce and was living in emergency accomodation. She had all of the money from her house sale and showed them her bank balance.
  • Options
    Yeah but I'd only be able to do that if my friend could pay 6 months rent upfront as well and I doubt she will be able to unless we get the separate contracts :( I'd actually be able to do it though. I only have a few grand though, nothing like the amount of cash you'd have from a house sale!
  • Options

I think the best thing to do is to get a job beforehand. Its going to be really hard though to get a job before sorting out a flat. I have to do it all in the space of a month. Do you have to be working for a certain length of time before you can get a reference off them?

I think you have to be able to proove what your yearly income is or something like that, then they know that you've got enough coming in each month to pay your rent. Although I'm sure if you speak to the letting agency they'll come to some arrangement with you. They want to let the properties as much as you want to live in them, so usually they'll try and be as flexible as possible. I would try to look at some of the more student friendly agencies though because they'll let to professionals but are more lenient.
  • Options
    Do you have to be working for a certain length of time before you can get a reference off them?

I think you fill out a form at the letting agents, who send it to a reference agency like Home Let, then they fax a copy to your employer who fill out the details they need and fax it back.

That's how it happened with me anyway, so long as you're on the payroll then it should be fine :)
  • Options
    I've got some friends who have just got a place without jobs, they just pointed out that they couldn't get jobs as they were living elsewhere, but they both had enough money to pay the 6 months rent upfront if needed, and guarantors.

I think your best bet would probably be to go with a private landlord than an agency - they do tend to be more understanding about situations and it'll be cheaper. Try looking in a local freeads paper, exchange and mart or gumtree.com.
  • Options
    I think your best bet would probably be to go with a private landlord than an agency - they do tend to be more understanding about situations and it'll be cheaper. Try looking in a local freeads paper, exchange and mart or gumtree.com.

:yes:

I found my flat through gumtree. No agency fees or credit checks. I was supposed to show them a copy of my work contract but I never did in the end.

I'd just say, there's no rush. I didn't move into my flat until the end of September after graduating and used the summer to find my feet and sort myself out a bit.
  • Options
    Mmmm. I've been looking at that gumtree and it looks rather good. Cheers Sa-ra-ra-ra.

There isn't a rush as such but I really really don't want to go home. I'm such a independent person and I'd really hate the commuting from home. It would be about 3 hours travelling a day from back home.

I'd just rather sort it out when I graduate. I've got the money to do it so like, yanno. I was supposed to be going on holiday with a friend though. I suppose that can be put on hold though :chin: Part of me wants to chill out for about a month (whilst waiting for results, taking a quick holiday) but then another part of me just wants to get the stress of getting a job and a flat out of the way. Its stressing me out even thinking about it all :(
  • Options
    I know this probably a stupid question but do they do credit checks on the guarantor?

yes they do, and they will want references for the guarantor in the same way that theyll want references for the tenents.

My mum is my guarantor.
  • Options
    Well I'm fucked for a guarantor then because the guarantor I would have used is bankrupt. Ahhh well. :|
  • Options
    Is there no-one you can use?
  • Options
    Not really :no:
  • Options
    Get a job in admin somewhere small. Intercept the fax from credit check people. fiddle the amount you earn. sign it. fax it back... ta da
  • Options
    :no: I don't like the idea of that. If they find out, they can just kick me out without notice.
  • Options
    Lol, if she has a job at all it wouldn't be a problem, as long as there's enough money to cover the rent!