Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Bankers drafts

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hi, i have purchased something off ebay to the value of £214 the other day, when i came to pay by paypal my spending limit would be exceeded so wouldnt let me do it until updated account. This takes up to 7 days so i emailed the seller to ask what other methods he would accept etc. He said he didn't mind but i decided on sending a bankers draft (don't own a cheque book yet), anyway to cut a long story short i posted it yesterday 1st class and emailed him to say it had been sent to the address ebay sent me on invoice. He emailed me back and gave me the address which i realised was slightly different from the one i had sent it too (i missed the road name and house number) it has the town, county and postcode along with the persons name but i am worried it won't get there now.

If he doesn't receive it is there anyway of me getting the money back in my account?
I really don't know what to do and i am hoping that the postman realises and sends it back to me or delivers it succesfully. I really am in a panic and wish i had sent it recorded but stupidly i didn't realise it was taken from my account instantly.

I don't know what to do or if i can cancel the draft.

Comments

• Options
    becky4131 wrote: »
    (i missed the road name and house number) it has the town, county and postcode along with the persons name but i am worried it won't get there now.
    it probably won't. a persons name and the town they live in isn't going to arrive in their mailbox.
    becky4131 wrote: »
    If he doesn't receive it is there anyway of me getting the money back in my account?
    bankers drafts are the equivalent of cash.
    did you send it recorded delivery? or just stick it in the mailbox?
  • Options
    With the postcode on there's a possibility, but with a big fat cheque inside probably a slim one.

For future reference, bank drafts are a fairly useless way for you to buy things over the net. Scammers love them.
  • Options
    with all due respect how can you miss a house number and street name off an address?

hopefully with it having the postcode, it'll get to him, but i doubt it unfortunately
  • Options
    I know i was stupid but i never even thought of the possibility of it not arriving, only that no1 else can cash it. I just sent it with a first class stamp which again is stupid of me.

Can i not cancel it then? i really don't want to lose £214 there must be some way of tracing that it hasn't been cashed.
  • Options
    Yeah, really really stupid, really stupid.

Can't believe you sent that much money with just a first class stamp. Oh well, at least you won't do it again.
  • Options
    I know and i really don't need to be told how stupid it is. We all make mistakes in life and now i am just trying to get a bit of advice of if there is anything i can do about it. Ring royal mail head office see if i can trace the mail? oh i don't know *cry*
  • Options
    Ring royal mail and see what they say, although i wouldn't get your hopes up.
  • Options
    If you are unbelievably lucky he might get it, a teacher of mine sent a letter with name and postcode and it got there. Obviously, he didn't send anything important.
  • Options
    Just whatever you do, don't mention to the seller that you have done this - as they might just scam you anyway.. he might of already thought of that even if he does get it and it's not registered post.. but fingers crossed, wait and see..
  • Options
    I've sent a letter to a girl with a really common name, description of the front of her house and the town- it got there! There is hope... just not much.
  • Options
    littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    Did you get some sort of receipt of postage? If not, then you have no proof that you posted it when it doesn't get there. The seller will need proof that you posted it otherwise it looks like you are wasting his time as it will appear you didn't post it.

I'm sorry, but I just don't get why you sent it without waiting for his address and with a first class stamp.
  • Options
    Did you get some sort of receipt of postage? If not, then you have no proof that you posted it when it doesn't get there. The seller will need proof that you posted it otherwise it looks like you are wasting his time as it will appear you didn't post it.

I'm sorry, but I just don't get why you sent it without waiting for his address and with a first class stamp.

I did wait for his address which he sent me first of all so i posted it. Then he sent me the address again when i told him i had posted it but this time the full address. I just assumed the first address was right and it was a company name or something as not all places have a house number. I'm going to ring royal mail tomorrow and also try to contact the bank to see what they say but i did only post it on friday afternoon so might not even receive it until tomorrow.
  • Options
    Contact your bank. They may be able to cancel the draft. Probably be a charge though.
  • Options
    Did you write just his name, the town, county and postcode? Or did you put a different house number/road name? If it's the former, you might get lucky, the post office often try pretty hard to work out where something's got to go even when there's an incomplete address.

If you put a different house number/road name though, I believe the postman is obliged to deliver it to the address you've specified, even if he knows no-one of that name lives there. We quite often get post for neighbours where someone's got their number wrong, and we asked the postman why he didn't just deliver it next door, and he said he had to deliver it to the address on the envelope.
  • Options
    I wrote the persons name, town, county and postcode on the envelope but missed the house number and street name. I have emailed royal mail and am waiting on a reply and i am also going to call in the bank tomorow to see if i can cancel the draft. Its worth a try and i don't mind paying a charge, after all it will be preventing me from losing £214 for that i will be very grateful.
  • Options
    you cannot cancel a draft. although if you want to make yourself feel a bit better then by all means try. also PHONE to royal mail, don't wait for someone to email you back!
  • Options
    otter wrote: »
    you cannot cancel a draft. !

Well, you can, because I've done it before. Although technically what i did was to go back to the bank with the draft, so I suppose not quite the same as not knowing where it is.
  • Options
    Mist wrote: »
    Well, you can, because I've done it before. Although technically what i did was to go back to the bank with the draft, so I suppose not quite the same as not knowing where it is.

yep. buts thats the same as handing back cash to be put into your account. thats why you were able to cancle it. kinda' different here tho'
  • Options
    If i can't cancel it then i will have to try and get it back to take into the bank. If someone else receives it i am hoping that they will send it to me as it has my address on a piece of paper inside and i know i would if i received something like that.
    First thing to do tomorrow is to ring royal mail and see if i can locate it or if they have a pile of mail that cannot be delivered it might be on there. Il also see if the seller has received payment, if he says he hasn't and royal mail cannot help me then i guess il contact the bank and see if they can trace if it has been cashed into an account or not. If it has then i will know he has been lying if it hasn't then they may be able to advise on what next to do.
  • Options
    Are bankers drafts like postal orders where you write the persons name on it? Did you do that? If not you haven't got a chance of getting it back i would say...
  • Options
    Bankers drafts are like a wad of cash. It's a promisory note like a £50, except in this case worth £214.

So to sum up, she sent £214, in cash, not cheque, without a house number or road name, by first class, not even recorded delivery.
  • Options
    Fiend_85 wrote: »
    Bankers drafts are like a wad of cash. It's a promisory note like a £50, except in this case worth £214.

So to sum up, she sent £214, in cash, not cheque, without a house number or road name, by first class, not even recorded delivery.

Yeah i get that, but like in postal orders you should write the persons name on it, so only they can bank it, are bankers drafts the same?
  • Options
    Tweety wrote: »
    Yeah i get that, but like in postal orders you should write the persons name on it, so only they can bank it, are bankers drafts the same?

It has the persons name on it so no ne else can actually cash it, this is why i am holding hope that i might get it back.
  • Options
    Just got back from the bank and they have cancelled the draft and issued me with a replacement. I have sent the replacement recorded delivery and the bank said if the old one turns up then it will be void and sent back to the bank.

Thanks for all the comments and help with the situation, i feel like a weight has been lifted now.
  • Options
    BunnieBunnie Posts: 6,099 Master Poster
    Im glad it is all sorted for you :) Just be a little more careful when writing addresses in future ;)
  • Options
    Yeah i'm pleased for you, cause if it was me i would probably vomit if i list 200 quid a £20 note when your drunk is bad enough!
  • Options
    glad its worked out for you, you sounded stressed by it all.
  • Options
    fuc*ing lucky that was.
    be more careful next time.