Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Bloody anxiety

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Can I just rant, because today I've felt on edge and like my world is going to collapse in on itself, and it's preventing me doing anything productive whatsoever. Just for the record, nothing in particular is wrong, it's just me being stupid. I've always suffered from anxiety (and sometimes panic attacks, eugh :() and normally it's not too bad, today I'm wound up so tight though I need to mellow out.

Rant rant rant. Who else gets anxious? And what remedies are there?

Or should I just go the whole hog, make an appointment with the GP and ask him to refer me to a counsellor (when I was complaining of stomach pain, and said that it was often linked to anxiety, then said that I get anxious a lot, he referred me but when the counsellor person phoned me to make an appointment she said that a lot of people are nervous their whole life and it can be a good thing, because it makes them more careful).

I'm almost trembling. You know like when you're full of adrenaline and feel shaky, but aren't quite shaking. Cups of teas don't seem to be working.

Comments

• Options
    I have panic attacks, usually in open crowded spaces or just when I'm feeling tired and anxious. They are horrible. My brother has them so bad that he can't leave the house. (He's agoraphobic). There are lots of coping strategies although I'm a hypocrite. I haven't gone to get help and probably should. They impinge on my life so much that I completely go out of my way to avoid certain situations. I hope you go get help on it and let me know how it goes so maybe I can stop being a wimp and go.
  • Options
    Well lets just say I should have been back in York this morning but the anxiety of travelling on the train means I haven't yet left.

I'm going to check train times for the 4th time today.

I suppose it's just not a good day, a lot of time it's not so bad. But it does intefere with my life at university as well.
  • Options
    Could someone go with you? I'd speak to someone about it :)
  • Options
    Rachael wrote: »
    Could someone go with you? I'd speak to someone about it :)

Yea mum's dropping me off at the station, but I keep being not ready. Trains at 7.50 so I'll get that one. I'll be ok when I'm on it, I'm not sure what's up with me today, just worrying about anything. Heh, one of my friends is having dinner with friends, one of which is a 34 year old and I'm nervous even though there's nothing romantic (but why does a 34 year old want to cook dinner for 17 year olds and watch a film with them?). Sorry, more stressing.

Everything is worrying me, gah. In the back of my head I've got in big capital letters 'My life is a failure!', mainly because of a big fiasco with my uni course I'm on at the moment. Thanks for talking anyway, was just venting I don't know what to do. Maybe I will always be nervous?
  • Options
    No just sounds you're over-run with stress.

The 34 year old thing:

It could be perfectly harmless. At that age I had older friends. If you have doubts then I wouldn't go personally.
  • Options
    Rachael wrote: »
    No just sounds you're over-run with stress.

The 34 year old thing:

It could be perfectly harmless. At that age I had older friends. If you have doubts then I wouldn't go personally.

I'm not going lol, my friends are going - theres no real danger (they know him quite well and are going as a group) I'm just in worry overload. I don't know anything about this guy except he's gay and he's 34 and drives a mercedes. Just need to chillout I guess. :chin:
  • Options
    Do you exercise regularly? That might help release some tension. After a good workout I just want to chill and physically I feel great. I can be a bit anxious, although it rarely gets in my way any longer.

You could also write down when you get anxious but did the thing you were worrying about anyway and write down what happened (which usually is nothing!). Then you can read it and remind yourself of that you did it successfully when you need to.

Also the biggest thing you need to do is defy your anxious mind by doing what you're scared of as soon as possible. The more you do it the fewer 'homg I'm gonna die!!!11' signals it gives you.

Good luck, and if you're feeling down these days it might be good idea to check with your GP. Do you have anybody to talk to in person? Sometimes I've really felt a mess and doubted what I'm doing or thought I might be thinking about something stupid, but mum usually sets me straight if I talk to her. ;)
  • Options
    Hi there,

I suffer from anxiety too, i am on medication for it though but i find that keeping your mind ocupied and not always thinking of the negative things helps alot..........if you always think of the negative things you will end up getting into a habit that you wont be able to get out of.

I found that writting a list at the end of the day just before i go to be helps, get all the things that are worrying you off your chest (so to speak) it helps clear you head and relax more.

The more you practice thinking positively the more your mind will get used to it and you will find that the negative thoughts go away..........sometimes you dont even notice that you are thinking more positive, it just happens.......slowly but surely.

Anyway, keep you chin up and take care of yourself :thumb:
  • Options
    Anxiety can be a really difficult thing to deal with as it can affect you in so many ways. The first thing to realise is that you are not alone and there are plenty of people out there who can help.

One method of support can be hypnotherapy... admittedly I am biased as I am a hypnotherapist myself, however it can do wonders for anxiety and panic attacks.

This site is very good, especially if you suffer from panic attacks... they have online courses to give you some knowledge and skills of how to help yourself.

http://www.uncommon-knowledge.co.uk/self_help/courses.html
  • Options
    I go training Shyboy, bury myself in the physical side. By the end I'm feeling better.

At the moment I'm getting all worried about what's going to happen with my life, if I can't do the masters I graduate next year and I don't feel ready, where will I work what will I do? argh!
  • Options
    What that counsellor said to you seems a bit weird.

I went to see a pyscotherapist last year... it helped with some of my anxiety for a while.
    Unfortunatly then winter came along and I got depressed so all the anxiety came back... But I would rather go back to a pyscotherapist than a counsellor... I've seen a few and not found any of them very helpful....
    The difference is counsellors generally just let you talk out your problems and you're meant to sort of find your own solutions from talking it all through.
    But what psycotherapist does is look at what problems you have and find a solution to them. They can give you lots of different stratagies to help with stress and to calm you down when you're feeling particulally anxious... It really does work.
    I was so stressed that I had perminant hives for two years... Seeing the psycotherapist actually got rid of them... They occasionally creep back if I'm having a bad day, but I hadn't even realised it was stress that was causing that and now I know to take it as a sign that I need to calm down if I start itching! :crazyeyes

Also I've stopped drinking tea... Caffine is really terrible for anxiety. I still get the panic attacks but I'm sure they're not as bad when I do get them... Maybe you should try that?

It's a really horrible thing to suffer from... and sometimes it feels like not a lot of help is out there. I get so I'm stuck in the house all day cos I keep thinking 'I'll go for a walk, it's a nice day'... and then I just end up thinking it over and over and never leave for no reason other than I seem to have a mental block between wanting to do things and actually doing them. :rolleyes:
    But yeah, there is help out there really, you just have to perserver until you find something that works for you.
  • Options
    Good advice about psychotherapy...
  • Options
    Splodgey wrote: »
    One method of support can be hypnotherapy... admittedly I am biased as I am a hypnotherapist myself, however it can do wonders for anxiety and panic attacks.
    I too suffer from anxiety (although not so much these days!) and sought out some private hypnotherapy sessions. Admittedly, at the time I was so closed to the idea that it didn't really work and I didn't take it seriously enough.
    3 years on and I'm so much more confident. It wasn't the actual sessions that helped me, it was the cd's he made for me to take home and listen to.
    It sounds daft, but because I was so anxious, I couldn't relax sat in front of a stranger. But sitting at home in a comfy chair with my eyes closed, listening to a cd worked wonders. I learned how to get myself into such a trance that the words would just sink in. The first cd was about confidence, and I still use it to this day.

Most people think of hypnotherapy as a load of twaddle, and I did to a certain extent. All I can say now is don't knock it til you've tried it.