Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Straightners Question

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I'm getting some of these tomorrow - http://www.boots.com/shop/product_details.jsp?productid=1070385&classificationid=1044498&slmRefer=000

Mum got a pair, tried them earlier and they're really good. Can't afford GHD's, but tbh I don't remember them being any better anyway.

What I wanted to know, was they have five heat settings, something like 130C-230C, and I don't know what you'd use when?

My hair is naturally curly when short enough, and turns into waves really really easily. I could use my old straightners and several serums, and half an hour later I'd have wavy hair.

Comments

• Options
    Tbh, I really don't see the point in a temp setting.
    When I straighten my hair, I want it straight and therefore at it's hottest.
    If I wanted semi straight slash frizzy hair, I'd blow dry it...
    If I wanted curly hair I'd curl it....

Thus, never understanding why you'd want to half-ass straighten your hair, in the brief hope of 'not causing as much damage' when you'll blatently go over your hair MORE times when they're less hot, because they don't work as well...

thus, causing more damage than you would at their hottest, with one 'swipe' down the hair....

:lol: That sooo doesn't make sense.

ETA:
    I could use my old straightners and several serums, and half an hour later I'd have wavy hair.
    Thus why we rave about GHD's. ;)
  • Options
    BunnieBunnie Posts: 6,099 Master Poster
    I dont like the babyliss ones to be honest. I kept getting my hair stuck in a tiny ridge between the 'material' and the plastic! bloody hurts!!
  • Options
    Different hair will need different temperatures to keep it straight.

Start on a lowish setting and test how long it stays straight for. If it kinks or curls then try it at a higher setting, and etc till you find a temperature that keeps it straight.

That way your damaging your hair to the minimum possible for the desired straightness.
  • Options
    Blah wrote: »
    Different hair will need different temperatures to keep it straight.

she speaks the truth. My friend has dead thin hair and GHD temperature (over 200 degrees) is too hot for her hair and she could just as well make do with less hot ones and get the desired effect. However my hair is really thick and I use GHD's and me hair doesnt stay dead straight all day. Depends on hair.
  • Options
    I agree with Blah, start at the lowest and see which is best for you. I used to have some american ones, which didnt get too hot but made my hair poker straight. Only problem was that it took about an hour, now i use GHDs and it takes a matter of 10mins (and my hair is pretty thick)
  • Options
    jenni30 wrote: »
    she speaks the truth. My friend has dead thin hair and GHD temperature (over 200 degrees) is too hot for her hair and she could just as well make do with less hot ones and get the desired effect. However my hair is really thick and I use GHD's and me hair doesnt stay dead straight all day. Depends on hair.

See i have thin hair and decided against buying GHD's due to cost. My fella on the otherhand has the little thin GHD's so whenever I go and stay at his I just borrow his. Mine straighten 1st time but if I want it to stay straight all day need to go over each bit of hair about 3 times. With his, once and it's straight all day.

But yeah it does depend entirely on the hair.