Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Is Divorce rate higher for Internet Savvy people?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Many feel that divorce rate higher for Internet Savvy people with following valid reasons

1) Chat rooms and sites which reunite friends make it easier for unhappy husbands or wives to meet other people and possibly go on to have an affair.
2) They work long hours (even at home) without giving enough time for family affairs.

What is your opinion about it? Do you think it can be true?

Robin:chin:

Comments

• Options
    nope its bollocks. to be honest, if someone wants to cheat on their partner they'll probably do it wether they are a internet geek or not.
  • Options
    I don't think particually - but if your going to cheat it probably makes it all the more easier.

I do however think that the internet makes people more depressed.
  • Options
    My ex was great until he started going on chat rooms, then he totally changed. I do believe they can play a serious part in break ups but obviously it's the user's fault.
    The internet is a pace where it is so easy to chat up people, flirt, cam, cyber etc and for some people the temptation is too much - especially as it's not always likely you will get caught. Unless, like me, you have a dumb ass bf who doesn't have a clue about password protection.
  • Options
    VinylVicky wrote: »
    Unless, like me, you have a dumb ass bf who doesn't have a clue about password protection.

:lol:
  • Options
    I'd say the single piece of technology which aids infidelity more than any other has to be the mobile phone, not the internet.
  • Options
    Miffy wrote: »
    I'd say the single piece of technology which aids infidelity more than any other has to be the mobile phone, not the internet.

I would have agreed until the internet really took off, now I'd put the internet ahead of phones. You can't just pick up your phone and get in touch with a bird for some cyber sex etc.(well you can but it's still using the internet)
  • Options

:yes:

Abso-bloody-lutely.

Technology is killing us.
  • Options
    VinylVicky wrote: »
    I would have agreed until the internet really took off, now I'd put the internet ahead of phones. You can't just pick up your phone and get in touch with a bird for some cyber sex etc.(well you can but it's still using the internet)

I'm talking about real, actual affairs though. It's easy enough to meet people in other places, the mobile phone is what allows them to keep in contact easily. It's too easy. You can keep it in your pocket, on silent, lock it, hide it in your car, have a secret sim card or even a secret phone!... I've had lots of dealings with people whose partners have been having affairs and the problems caused by mobile phones far outweigh the ones caused by computers.
  • Options
    I'm talking about real, actual affairs though. It's easy enough to meet people in other places, the mobile phone is what allows them to keep in contact easily. It's too easy. You can keep it in your pocket, on silent, lock it, hide it in your car, have a secret sim card or even a secret phone!... I've had lots of dealings with people whose partners have been having affairs and the problems caused by mobile phones far outweigh the ones caused by computers.

I see your point but the way the internet is growing, I still think it's taking over. Maybe I'm bitter as my ex partner had an affiar with someone he met off the net. Also, I come accross a lot of guys that have partners yet want to meet up for secret liasons. I've also come accross friend's boyfs on the net with a disguised name looking for secret fun.
  • Options
    I see what you're saying as well. It does seem to be becoming the place to meet people, but what I'm saying is that the mobile makes it too easy to conduct an affair. And after it's discovered, mobile phones cause more arguements than computers.

Think we were actually talking about very slightly different things! :D
  • Options
    I see what you're saying as well. It does seem to be becoming the place to meet people, but what I'm saying is that the mobile makes it too easy to conduct an affair. And after it's discovered, mobile phones cause more arguements than computers.

Think we were actually talking about very slightly different things! :D
    I think we are!:D
  • Options
    The internet allows people to meet more people, and as such allows people to cheat who otherwise might not have found a person to have an affair with. It's easier to pull a girl (or boy!) off the net than it is to pull your secretary/Jane from accounts/the cute redhead in the pub.

Once you've got a fully-fledge affair going on computers aren't so good, as they log what you do and you can't hide them. Mobiles keep affairs going.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote: »
    The internet allows people to meet more people, and as such allows people to cheat who otherwise might not have found a person to have an affair with. It's easier to pull a girl (or boy!) off the net than it is to pull your secretary/Jane from accounts/the cute redhead in the pub.

Once you've got a fully-fledge affair going on computers aren't so good, as they log what you do and you can't hide them. Mobiles keep affairs going.

It's not even as simple as that... SO many times people WILL get talking to Jane from accounts/the cute redhead in the pub, they swap mobile numbers... a few chatty texts turn into a few flirty texts and then into something else that never would've happened without a mobile. I still say the mobile actually comes out on top in this one, IMHO.
  • Options
    The internet is just an outlet to meet new people when you're in an unhappy relationship. It's the users fault for not talking about it with their partner, or getting out of the relationship. They're also another thing for jealous and possessive people to be jealous and possessive about. I would guess that the internet plays a part in breaking up relationships that are already pretty doomed to begin with, rather than actually causing any of the problems itself.
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    Wyetry wrote: »
    I do however think that the internet makes people more depressed.

Do go on. What do you mean, how?

And erm, no, if you are going to cheat for whatever reason - I don't ask why, I just dislike it - the internet will only be another medium by which to meet someone. There are many other ways already.
  • Options
    Well - not that people are neccessarily any more depressed than they were in the past but I think that the internet tells people that its OK to be depressed and they can more easily meet other depressed people but still mainly stay in by themselves dwelling on thier depression. Plus sitting in all day looking at a computer isn't that good for your mental or physical health.

There are similar arguments for the internet glamorising eating disorders as well.

Maybe its just me but I think i would have been a much more depressed teenager than I actually was had the internet been invented then.
  • Options
    The internet is often a double edged sword.
    It's a great communication tool however it's also a good place to hide yourself and play out your fantasies without anyone who you might know ever finding out.
    Yes it makes it easier to cheat, the more temptation you are succumbed to, the harder it gets, however you have to be in a certain frame of mind to cheat.
    Finally, the internet might be the final straw, but it doesn't make people cheat.
  • Options
    Interesting first [and so far only] post.

Dissertation?
  • Options
    Interesting first [and so far only] post.

Dissertation?

You have to stop working lates.
    You are becoming a cynic!
    Hold on....

:chin: :p