Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Have I done the wrong thing?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I had a guy from Weatherseal Holdings Ltd to give me a quotation to replace my current wooden windows and doors.

He told me that he can only arrange for one door to be replaced as it is a back door (main) and the other led to a communal area. So I told him to forget the door.

For 7 windows and one small window he quoted £11,222 that was Mahogany outside, white inside.

I was also given a "Feature Home" Discount and was quoted 7,300 because I live in a busy area. I also got a free door because I was spending over £6000 and get a £500 cheque a week after installation for part exchange windows.

He worked out payments of £40 per week and I told him I wanted to pay £30. He got on the hone and managed to work out £34 a week and I said OK only if I got Payment Protection free. (I understand that they have this flexibility to coerce people to agree) He agreed and I signed.

I gave him £100 deposit and now I have to pay off £6,445 at £34 a week.

I currently make £40 a week from my weekend job plus my student loan and grants every few months. My friend is also moving in and has agreed to pay half of everything. I also intent to apply for a hardship grant from university.

My question is, I have been given a 14 day cancellation period. Given the facts - Would you cancel if you were me?

Comments

• Options
    That sounds a bit wrong to me, especially if your stuggling for money as it is. I would seriously consider cancelling unless you know you afford it. It'll be paid off over a long, long time that way.
  • Options
    Are you sure that there isn't a better way to go about getting your windows replaced. Perhaps you can remortgage or take a mortgage break?

Generally in my experience if your gut feeling is that it feels wrong then it is wrong. If you are worried about the repayments I would seriously look into finding a more manageable method of doing this work.
  • Options
    littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    I, personally, would cancel.

Unless your windows have completely fallen out or are wasting that much a week through heat loss or similar then I would wait until you are in a better financial position to do it.

Also, when dealing with people like this, it can often be an idea to shop around, get a few quotes and then decide, rather than being pressurized to go for their 'once in a lifetime' offer.
  • Options
    I'd cancel.
  • Options
    J used to work for Weatherseal Jamie, their stuff is ridiculously overpriced.

All the discounts you get dont exist, we got everything replaced in our house, 5 windows and a door, and it should've been around 9k according to the "customer" prices, in the end we got it for 2k. It is really good quality stuff though but they do rip you off.

Is the finance over 10 years? Cos if it is and their finance usually is, you'll be paying back close to 16.5k. If you really want the windows then arrange your own finance.
  • Options
    Glittery wrote: »
    J used to work for Weatherseal Jamie, their stuff is ridiculously overpriced.

All the discounts you get dont exist, we got everything replaced in our house, 5 windows and a door, and it should've been around 9k according to the "customer" prices, in the end we got it for 2k. It is really good quality stuff though but they do rip you off.

Is the finance over 10 years? Cos if it is and their finance usually is, you'll be paying back close to 16.5k. If you really want the windows then arrange your own finance.
    Hey Shaz, yeah he said it's over 10 years but if i pay double a month it would get cut down to 3. Asked if there were any penalty charges for quick payment as I'm expecting a bit of money and he said not at all. Just looked at the small print and they do charge you.

I feel like such an eejit. He asked for my card details and I gave him them too so now I'm going to phone up and cancel the card because he asked for the number at the bacxk of the card too. Don'tknow if it's of any importance though.
  • Options
    I've written a letter to them just to say I'm cancelling. Sending it by Recorded Delivery tomorrow. I've also cancelled my debit card. Why the hell did I do that?! I am such an idiot.
  • Options
    Don't worry mate, you're not an idiot.

Everyone I know does it mate, whether it be a big loan, something on finance or even just blowing their pay on shit they don't want.

Loads of times I've ended up taking stuff back when I realised I really don't need and seriously can't have it at that time!

IMO you are sensible as you came to ask advice and acted it on, pat on the back!!
  • Options
    Don't worry mate, you're not an idiot.

Everyone I know does it mate, whether it be a big loan, something on finance or even just blowing their pay on shit they don't want.

Loads of times I've ended up taking stuff back when I realised I really don't need and seriously can't have it at that time!

IMO you are sensible as you came to ask advice and acted it on, pat on the back!!
    Yeah, I guess the main point is I realised.

Cheers :)
  • Options
    Don't worry about it too much, it's easy to get won over by these people.

Plus next time you know you can drive them to less than that figure. :)
  • Options
    They're professional salespeople, its their job, they're on commission, and they are very very good at their job.

You've thought about it, decided its wrong, and cancelled. That shows a deal of common sense- a lot of people would plough along regardless.
  • Options
    Jazza wrote: »
    I am such an idiot.
    You are not, they put you in the position where it's hard to say no.

You did the right thing by asking advice and not just going ahead with it because you felt like you had to.
  • Options
    If you decide to go for it in the future you should play the companies off against each other (oh, and get it done in the winter because it's cheaper anyway!). My mum and dad got their whole house done including front and back doors and some minor alternations to the layout of the house for £2,500. They were originally quoted £12,000 by at least three companies.

There are some people who are so naive that they will actually pay £12,000 to get new windows in their small semi. It puzzles me, it really does!
  • Options
    Companies like that will push and push until you agree to it. They will promise you all sorts of discounts even though they are hidiously over the top anyway!! It is good that you realised.
  • Options
    PPP has a 30 day cancellation period with any financial agreement AFAIK (any finance in work does anyway)

your PPP wouldn't have been free as there is always a fee for it so if you had gone ahead and then queried you could have had them investigated under FSA regulations for mis-selling

but as it is you have cencelled within the time period, just make sure you keep proof of posting in case your letter to cancel goes 'missing' and if possible a copy of the letter
  • Options
    Now that you've cancelled, you'll probably get the manager phoning you up trying to resell. He'll drop the price...