Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

European PS3 launch date announced

Saeed MSaeed M Posts: 270 The Mix Regular
Friday 23rd March according to Gizmodo.

The 20GB won't be available, as suspected and £425 for the 60GB version.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Saeed M wrote: »
    £425 for the 60GB version.

Ouch!!
  • Options
    im not interested that much at the moment to be honest, i think i'll wait 12 months or at least till they've been hacked and the price of blank blurays drop.

which shouldnt be long, there are already image dumps of PS3 and Wii games knocking around.
  • Options
    The price would have to halve for me to even consider it.
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    noog wrote: »
    The price would have to halve for me to even consider it.
    :yes:
  • Options
    425 is steep. 399 would have been better here, but I think this was based on the Euro price and converted.
  • Options
    I'll wait for a year to let the console settle in any niggles or problems be sorted and allow the amount of games and decent ones at that come through.

Not to mention the price will come down aswell and that's the biggest thing for most people.
  • Options
    I dont think it's going to do well. In japan, of the 1 million shipped they've only sold around 500,000 - and you know what the Japanese are like for their playstations! I really think Sony should be looking at minimising their losses now, obviously it's not going to do as well as the playstation 2 - especially with casual gamers picking up the Wii and more serious gamers having their hands on a PC or the 360 which came out several months ago. Their only market is loyal fans really.
  • Options
    edn1 wrote: »
    I'll wait for a year to let the console settle in any niggles or problems be sorted and allow the amount of games and decent ones at that come through.

Not to mention the price will come down aswell and that's the biggest thing for most people.

:yes:

In Japan, retailers are knocking 20% off the RRP (from $550 to $450) in order to try to sell off their stock.
  • Options
    :yes: is very popular in this thread....
  • Options
    Seen this posted on a web site I visit. Seems about right to me:-

PS3 EURO LAUNCH: THE FACTS
    Hot off the brainwaves of the average European gamer:

FACT 1: No one really cares

FACT 2: It's too much money

FACT 3: Shifting all the machines from unsold piles in American and Japanese warehouses to an unsold pile in a European warehouse isn't going to help Sony's 'bottom line' in the short to medium term

FACT 4: The best game is a free demo

FACT 5: 'Best' in the context of PS3 means '6/10 at a push'

FACT 6: The 'Average Joe' already thinks PS3 is an over-priced flop, thanks to low-level guerilla marketing by the New York Times and all of The Internet.

FACT 7: Virtua Tennis 3 will have online play on Xbox 360, so don't go throwing that one back in our faces

FACT 8: Tell pikey Britain that it needs to replace its Only Fools and Horses DVDs with new Blu-ray editions and it will stub a cigarette out in your face.

FACT 9: 599 dollars actually translates to 303 pounds, NOT 425

FACT 10: 60,000 yen actually translates to 250 pounds, NOT 425
  • Options
    Ants wrote: »
    FACT 9: 599 dollars actually translates to 303 pounds, NOT 425

FACT 10: 60,000 yen actually translates to 250 pounds, NOT 425

Have you not noticed that Britons get ridiculously overcharged anyway? Check out the iPod retail index...

http://english.aljazeera.net/NR/exeres/F0740C4B-3BB3-4D2E-A22D-7F0E811F1985.htm

UK: Apple iPod 5th generation - 451.471 USD
    USA: Apple iPod 5th generation - 332.49 USD
    Japan: Apple iPod 5th generation - 344.713 USD

(taken from Amazon.co.uk, Amazon.com and Amazon.co.jp respectively)
  • Options
    awesome, my 21st bday. though i don't want one
  • Options
    Holy crap, that's already really expensive and it'll be even higher once it reaches Iceland.
  • Options
    After playing on it I can also confirm -

It looks like a beta max video recorder

The rumble lacking controllers feel very flimsy and light

Genji is shit

Resistance Fall of Man is dull

A HD cable isn't including in the package - so expect to add £20 to price from the kick off.

It now seems certain that even pushing the system anyway they can think of it will not be significantly better or more powerful than an xbox 360

The blu-ray player is already dying in the states due to the much cheaper hd-dvd players ($700 vs $150) - so the format looks like another strange Sony choice.

I'll be very, very surprised if they pull this off.
  • Options
    Jim V wrote: »
    The blu-ray player is already dying in the states due to the much cheaper hd-dvd players ($700 vs $150) - so the format looks like another strange Sony choice.

True enough, there already looks to be a winner in 'the war'.
  • Options
    I have to say, when I first got an xbox I was well excited. I saved up for it for months, with my dinner money (£10 a week), my paperround money (£12 a week) and such. I did a budget and it all seemed to go quite well :)

However, isn't the playstation 3 just so uninspiring? Isn't doesn't have that magic, that je ne sais quois that is in my mind, essential :)
  • Options
    I was thinking if i bought two and then sold one on ebay i could get mine half price..

I would warn you against this, like has been pointed out, supply has outstripped demand - by and large there have been more consoles waiting to be sold than people willing to buy them. Only half of the allocation stock for Japan has been sold - bear in mind that the Wii attracted high prices because it was relatively cheap anyway (£250 from £170 isn't that far to stretch, whereas £550 to £750 is) - and also because there was a much bigger demand.

I mean, having said that, you could still make a profit, but I wouldn't want you to end up with two you don't need. Bear in mind, amazon.co.uk and other places will happily refund you, especially if it's unopened, so there's not too much risk :)
  • Options
    ShyBoy wrote: »
    I would warn you against this, like has been pointed out, supply has outstripped demand - by and large there have been more consoles waiting to be sold than people willing to buy them.

Actually you're wrong.

I was reading today that supply is not going to meet demand in the UK and there will be shortages, which is a shame for those who will be desperate to get hold of one of these.

I'm going to reserve judgement on the PS3 until I've seen it and its games. People seem all too keen to write off Playstation before they've even seen it properly.

In the face of stiff competition both the PS1 and PS2 shat on their competitors, despite everyone expecting them to fail or to be superseeded.

As I pointed out in another thread, the PS2 is still the best console for footballing games, despite the much superior XBox 360 being technically so much better. At the very least, PS3 will make things very interesting.
  • Options
    I'll buy it abroad so I won't bother about the european launch date. Is so much cheaper in the states anyway. :)