Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Three Day Rule

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
So, hypothetically...

A boy meets a girl on Thursday night, he can't really remember what happened to pull her, but he took her back to his and had a kiss and a cuddle and a sleep together till they left together in a taxi on Friday morning - him to go to work and her to go home.

He took her number, and casually said "text me, yeah?" when he got out of the taxi and into work the next day.

How long should he wait before he texts her and asks her if she wants to go for a drink? Sunday evening, or should he just leave it till Monday?

Is the three day rule a good idea?

She's (hypothetically) proper fit and all that jazz, and he doesn't want to seem keen, although he would really like to see her again.

Comments

• Options
    Hang on.... you wait all of two or three hours to get her bed but you want to wait three days to text her?

Society... :crazyeyes
  • Options
    ..i think two days is good enough maybe.

possibly the following night, since there was cuddling and stuff, but never the same morning, or during the day. its gotta be the night of the day after he got the number.

or a simple 2 days seems fine haha
  • Options
    if i met a guy on a friday night i would expect to be contacted the next day. the day after at the most. anymore and its so see through that you're trying to play it "cool"! which then makes it very uncool
  • Options
    bluuurgh txt her when you want to txt her! i'm with lipsy, balls to any of this 'ooh i might appear too keen!'. if they're interested they won't mind when you txt them. i certainly wouldn't. and if it were the other way around i wouldn't hesitate in txting the next day. :)

don't be such a girl. :p
  • Options
    and if it were the other way around i wouldn't hesitate in txting the next day. :)
    :yes: when i get a guys number i text him the next day.

i mean some guys even text me the same night when i get home from the club!
  • Options
    lipsy wrote:
    :yes: when i get a guys number i text him the next day.

i mean some guys even text me the same night when i get home from the club!

same here and it doesn't put me off at all. :no:
  • Options
    I'm quite an impulsive and impatient person so there's no way I would wait three days - unless I was absolutely rushed off my feet busy - but I wouldn't do it on purpose.

Either she wants to see you again or she doesn't. If she did do and is then put off because she feels that you txt her too soon then she's a fucking pain and if she's that much work after one night do you really want to see her again?
  • Options
    Just text the other person, something light hearted and flirty. The three day rule really is bollocks.
  • Options
    bluuurgh txt her when you want to txt her! i'm with lipsy, balls to any of this 'ooh i might appear too keen!'. if they're interested they won't mind when you txt them. i certainly wouldn't. and if it were the other way around i wouldn't hesitate in txting the next day. :)

don't be such a girl. :p

Yeah but I don't know if likes me or not so how am I supposed to know if she'd mind or not? :razz:

I texted her anyway just saying hiya and she left her lighter here and if she wanted to go for a drink. She text back saying that'd be nice, so we'll maybe see what happens :)
  • Options
    Bri-namite wrote:
    Yeah but I don't know if likes me or not so how am I supposed to know if she'd mind or not? :razz:

I texted her anyway just saying hiya and she left her lighter here and if she wanted to go for a drink. She text back saying that'd be nice, so we'll maybe see what happens :)

good job, and good luck!:thumb:
  • Options
    Oh my god, I could never stand this bollocks about "how long should I wait."

If you're interested, text whenever you want. If you're not interested, don't text. It's very simple, don't dick about thinking about "ooo it's been 72 hours, I should be allowed to text now".
  • Options
    I would be gutted if someone intentionally waited three dyas to txt me after we'd hit it off. damn, I'd probably want them to txt me straight away, even if it were just something like- last night was ace, have a good sleep, I'll call you after work...
  • Options
    katralla wrote:
    I would be gutted if someone intentionally waited three dyas to txt me after we'd hit it off. damn, I'd probably want them to txt me straight away, even if it were just something like- last night was ace, have a good sleep, I'll call you after work...

To be honest if she was only moderately pretty then I'd have been less worried about seeming too keen. But she's really, really pretty and sweet with it and easy to talk to about random shit.

Without going down the life story road, I owe it to myself not to go running like a puppy dog like I've done in the past because that tends to result in her taking the piss big stylee.

Euch, wish I wasn't so stand-offish nowadays :(
  • Options
    don't let past relationships (of a poor nature i mean) ruin future ones. :no:
  • Options
    agree with the above. Also, don't let her looks interfere with her chance of knowing the real loving you, that's not fair on her really is it? she didn't ask to be pretty. You can learn the lessons of your puppy dog mistake without inventing new ones to counter them. Just think, she might be feeling a little used and dissheartened after you got on so well, she went back to your place etc. it's probably happened too many times- coz like you say, she's pretty. txt the poor gal, put her out of her misery...
  • Options
    katralla wrote:
    agree with the above. Also, don't let her looks interfere with her chance of knowing the real loving you, that's not fair on her really is it? she didn't ask to be pretty. You can learn the lessons of your puppy dog mistake without inventing new ones to counter them. Just think, she might be feeling a little used and dissheartened after you got on so well, she went back to your place etc. it's probably happened too many times- coz like you say, she's pretty. txt the poor gal, put her out of her misery...

Thank you :)

The very last thing I want to do is to turn round a few weeks down the line and end it because I've got cold feet. I'd hate to use anybody like that, I wouldn't go on a date with someone if I couldn't potentially see something coming from it. I hurt someone without realising it towards the end of last year because I was too wrapped up in my own past and that caused quite a bit of upset I think :(