Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

My Sam

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hey everyone. I don't really know where this thread should be but figure here is as good a place as any. Just posting i the hope someone will cheer me up. My 13 year old Labrador, Sam, is really ill and having battled against a succession of problems over the last few months, we feel the time has come to say goodbye. It's so so hard to make the choice for him to die and I'm feeling a bit sorry for myself. So go on... do your best, cheer me up! Here's to Sam, an amazing companion and beautiful creature.

Comments

• Options
    I had to do it with my 2 dogs 2 years ago in the space of 3 months, they'd been here nearly all my life. The night before we were going to have to say goodbye to Jack, he dies in my arms, my other dog Samson had to be put down and he died in my mum's arms whilst he was injected.
    It wasn't as hard as I had thought. Yes I cried and missed them, I still miss them so badly but it was their time to go. They had a wonderful life and many happy wonderful times but they were poorly and it had to be done.
    I'm sorry to hear of your pain but it somehow makes it easier being able to say good bye and that there life wasn't just snatched away.
    You will be OK, promise xxx
  • Options
    Thank you. I came down to him this morning and he'd been sick in the night and looking into his eyes I could see he was unhappy. I curled up with him on his bed and started to cry, he turned his head and licked my nose. Moments like that are so special. But you're right, I should be grateful that I can be there and say goodbye properly. Thank you huni xXx
  • Options
    Yeah atleast you have the chance to say goodbye.

I remember waking up one morning to be told that my dad had accidently ran my dog over and i never had the chance to say hello to her in the morning, i still think of her and all the changes that she has missed.
    Her baby used to look for her for ages afterwards wondering where she had gone :crying:

It's such a sad time but everyone has to go at some point and like you said he'll have a had a great life.
  • Options
    ((Dobbin))

I know exactly how you feel; I had to have my Rufus put down a couple of months back. It was hard but like you say, you can see when you look in their eyes that they're just not as happy anymore. You'd much rather do it now than leave it too late and have horrible memories. Just spend lots of time making the last few days special - favourite foods, walks in favourite places, etc.
  • Options
    Sorry to hear that, Dobbin. :(

I know it's not quite the same but I sobbed all over the vet when I had to have my hamster put down... he really did need to go (the vet said he probably would have lived only about another day), but I felt absolutely awful making that kind of decision... it shocked me how much it upset me.
  • Options
    *hugs* to you dobbin. just remember you loved sam, and he knew this and loved you in return! it will upset you,but dont be afraid to mourn for him - and remember all the happy times you have had!
  • Options
    Sorry to hear that, Dobbin. :(

I know it's not quite the same but I sobbed all over the vet when I had to have my hamster put down... he really did need to go (the vet said he probably would have lived only about another day), but I felt absolutely awful making that kind of decision... it shocked me how much it upset me.

It's exactly the same, don't let people tell you that just because a pet is small they matter any less. I've gone through nightmares with my rabbit, Mr T, he's so accident prone its untrue and the vet has had me in tears many times. Just spoken to the vet about Sam and we are going to try some steroids for pain relief. :) Fingers crossed this will perk him up. I'm just kinda wary of crossing the boundary where I start keeping Sam for my sole pleasure, not his. Thank you to everyone who has been so so sweet.