Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

procrastination messing up my life!

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
i've always procrastinated but recently its gotten worse. i now procrastinate EVERYTHING and have become increasingly lazy these past several months. my grades are slipping, and now i have a suspicsion that i'm starting to put on weight. i really think i have a abnormal case of procrastination, to a dangerous level. in fact right now i should be working on 1 of 4 projects due this week. i really am starting to feel desperate. help!!?

Comments

• Options
    try setting small goals, like approaching everything in chunks of time that you can concentrate for.
  • Options
    I've gone through serious cases of procrastination myself. I think its causes can be very multiple and complex, so i won't get into that - but in the end what helped me most to snap out of it was to constantly remind myself that with that attitude I was hurting no-one but myself. It seems obvious and at first it wasn't enough to get me going, but when the negative consequences of my procrastination started to backfire it sort of hit me, and managed to snap back into life.

Hope it helps, good luck.
  • Options
    bump
  • Options
    Happened to me mate, but it was as a result of other shit going on in my life.

I used to be like that big time when I was struggling with things a bit - had loads of stuff on my mind and just couldn't be arsed any more. I wouldn't tidy or clean my flat even though it needed done, and I'd just sit in the flat with booze and DVDs, because I really couldn't be arsed doing anything else. It was my way of shutting stuff out, and I ended up getting a short sharp shock which MADE me change the way I was living.

I'm still lazy, but I've got a sense of responsibility and wanting to do things for myself now that I didn't have before.

You just need to try and work out why you can't be arsed and make the effort, the answer is probably within yourself and no amount of words on a screen will make you get up and get on with things.
  • Options
    I always need 'on the edge' pressure, so when they say '5 weeks to hand it in' I'm not fussed.

When they say 'hand this in tomorrow or you fail [your life]' I will do an all nighter.

It's a question of motivation...
  • Options
    ShyBoy wrote:
    I always need 'on the edge' pressure, so when they say '5 weeks to hand it in' I'm not fussed.

When they say 'hand this in tomorrow or you fail [your life]' I will do an all nighter.

It's a question of motivation...

Haha, yeah, I know all about this. Usually my essay grades are knocked down about 4 marks for lateness.

To the op, i don't think there's any easy answer, other than maybe seeing a doc about depression if you're really struggling - lack of motivation and weight gain being symptons.
  • Options
    I used to do this more than I do now.

Everyone experiences this sometime, even if it is just putting off cleaning or studying. I understand that you feel that you are concerned about just how much it is affecting your life. Just do remember it is more than common it is human nature.

In relation to your studying I suggest you go into college/uni whatever it is early and sit in the library or a quiet room with no distraction. Quite oftenly I do this and find that I do tons more than I would at home. If it is about motivation then perhaps try some self motivation e.g. you are hungry and you need to finish an essay. You will not eat until you have finished your essay. Self disipline. I sometimes do it when I am busting for the loo, and I think right I got to write like 4 more sentences then I am done and make myself finish it before I go to the loo. It is something to give you a kick up the arse - and you need to learn to kick yourself up the arse.

Also think, why am I doing this work? Keep it fresh in your head what you will get out of it, if it means you will pass the assignment or if it means you will be one step closer to your dream job.

Hope it helps and the best of luck x x x
  • Options
    do whatever - a bit at a time.
  • Options
    i really think i have a abnormal case of procrastination, to a dangerous level.

Why do you think this? Give us an example of your procrastination and hopefully we'll be able to reassure you that it's quite normal. For example - I've had 4 hours sleep over the past two nights combined because I had an essay deadline today and stayed up both nights "working"... finally wrote the first sentence at 2am this morning. And I have several friends who'll come round every hour or so because they're up doing the same thing. It's not an ideal way of going about things, but I don't see it as abnormal at all.

ashlee gave some great advice so if you really want to make a change in your life I'd recommend that as the place to start. Remember, you're the only person who can help yourself out of this. We can give advice but none of it is going to be easy, and you'll probably feel worse instead of better for a while until you get used to your new hard-working routine. Good luck though!