Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Should I be worried?

To cut a long story short, I've been self harming for about 2 months and generally feeling like shit. (why I have I don't know)

Recently (as in the few weeks or so) I've not wanted to eat at all - even when I've been hungry. Like today all I had for my lunch was some coffee and a flapjack bar.

Is this normal and should I be worried about this? Not eating isn't normal for me unless I'm not feeling well - apart froma cold over the last few days, I've been fine.
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    It is perfectly common to lose appetite when you are feeling down for whatever reason.

Have you already seen your GP or any other professional about the self-harming issue yet?
  • Options
    Sofie wrote:
    I've not wanted to eat at all - even when I've been hungry.

Do you mean you've felt hungry but you've suppressed the urge to eat? Or do you mean it's been lunchtime so you feel you should be hungry, but you're not really?
  • Options
    No, I've not seen anyone about my self harm yet.
  • Options
    wildchild wrote:
    Do you mean you've felt hungry but you've suppressed the urge to eat? Or do you mean it's been lunchtime so you feel you should be hungry, but you're not really?

I feel hungry but don't want to eat.
  • Options
    BarradellBarradell Deactivated Posts: 10 Settling in
    It sounds although you might benefit from understanding a bit more about the things that you feel are effecting you.

Quite often issues can be associated with each other and it may help to understand a bit more about them. TheSite.org features articles here on self harm and eating disorders and hopefully will help you find a bit more information and point you in the direction of further support organisations if you want to find out more.

Hope this helps, please keep in touch with the boards and take care :)
  • Options
    Worried is perhaps the wrong term, its not a very useful thing to do to just worry.

I would say you should be concerned, and should look about you for sources of help, either your GP or local services of some sort.
  • Options
    I get this when I'm feeling low or anxious too Sofie... To the point that even if I'm really hungry and try to eat I find it hard to swallow the food. I just try to keep grazing throughout the day so that I don't lose too much weight.
    It would probably be a good idea to see a councellor or something to try and sort out why you've been feeling crap.
  • Options
    Sofie wrote:
    No, I've not seen anyone about my self harm yet.
    I would advise you to see someone (a GP is a good place to start) sooner rather than later. Self-harm gets quite addictive for a lot of people and you can become even more reliant on it the longer it goes on. Also you tend to have to do more severe harming to get the same effects the more accustomed you become to the pain.

Obviously I realise that it is easy said than done, that getting help is scary (at least I felt scared) and you need to do it in your own time. I waited three-and-a-half years before telling anyone or seeking anyhelp and think it would have been better if I'd done it earlier (although I personally wasn't ready so I understand if you chose not to).
  • Options
    loss of appetite is a very common sympton of depression.
  • Options
    Hi Sophie... I don't know if this is of much help, but if you feel the need to cut, have you thought about using ice? I mean holding it in your hand very very tight. Just see if an ice cube helps.

As for your apetite, if it's poor and you are still down, maybe you should see a doctor. Maybe you could take some vitamin supplements too, just to keep your body a bit happier.
  • Options
    Hi Sophie... I don't know if this is of much help, but if you feel the need to cut, have you thought about using ice? I mean holding it in your hand very very tight. Just see if an ice cube helps.

Read about that somewhere but haven't tried it yet
    As for your apetite, if it's poor and you are still down, maybe you should see a doctor. Maybe you could take some vitamin supplements too, just to keep your body a bit happier.

Will do. Thanks.