Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Alcohol withdrawl help

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Does anybody have any tips with overcoming alcohol withdrawls on your own? Symptoms such as shaking, insomnia, vomiting and irritablilty? I tried to go without any drinking last night for the first time. I experienced the above and finally gave in because I just wanted to sleep. Even sleepign pills didn't help me get drowsy. I've had shaking before when I've been without but never like that. I wish to cut down to a healthy amount but after last night, it seems more difficult than I would have thought.

Comments

• Options
    No idea actually, but I think you can die from alcohol withdrawal, so even if you don't want to see a doc- which is what I advise, you must get some kind of medical help before coming off alcohol by yourself. Hope somone with more knowledge will chip in soon. And, goodluck in getting healthy again and coming off alcohol.
  • Options
    It's not that bad. Just very acute symptoms, but it makes it very hard to quit.
  • Options
    I believe you'll find it easier to quit if you have some medical support.
  • Options
    And what exactly can they do that I can't? Tell me in that false enthusiam falseto voice that "You can do it" Or suggest you go to a place that prays before every meeting (that would be AA)? I've done all that before, thanks.
  • Options
    Or help you manage the withdrawal symptoms, and give you some support.
  • Options
    I'm not asking for false support or caring from medical professionals. I was just wondering if anybody knew of any techniques to help cope on my own.
  • Options
    A Duvet, some food you really like and a lot of DVDs, or something else to distract.
  • Options
    Does anybody have any tips with overcoming alcohol withdrawls on your own? Symptoms such as shaking, insomnia, vomiting and irritablilty?
    take it one step at a time. not all in one go. you don't just quit outright. cut down first of all. and take it from there.
    i think its good you've got the motivation to do it for yourself and arn't wanting some professional to save you. kudos to you. :)
  • Options
    I'm not asking for false support or caring from medical professionals. I was just wondering if anybody knew of any techniques to help cope on my own.

Give Release a call, www.release.org.uk they are well versed in all these sorts of things and will be able to give you good tips and advice.
  • Options
    There is medication that can help with alcohol withdrawel symptoms.
  • Options
    Go and see your GP, they will be able to help you if you want to quit. The could provide you with some Librium which will help you quit safely and do a home detox, otherwise it might be useful to seek some support from the Community Alcohol Team (CAT teams), your GP should be able to signpost you to these.
  • Options
    It is much safer to do alcohol detox under medical supervision as withdrawals can cause fitting or in extreme cases, death. You would be prescribed a benzo such as Librium to ease the withdrawals.

Its also a good idea to have a plan in place for after your detox. How are you going to stay sober? How are you going to cope with stuff without the cushion of alcohol? What if you have a lapse? Contact your local Community Drug and Alcohol Team for services near you - 12 step is not the only option!

Good luck! :)