Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Tension Headaches!

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
This is more a plea for help, rather than a rant! Well, perhaps I should moan a little as they've been there every day, non- stop for a while. My doctor confirmed I had these tension headaches (there upon waking/tightness around head etc) and perscribed me strong painkillers. Unfortunately they have made no difference and haven't eased the pain, actually making it a bit worse. So, obviously I feel I need to somehow di-stress and the headaches may heal.

Does anyone know of any sort of relaxation techniques I could do? Something I can do at home and doesn't cost me much money. I am, after all, a poor student! I've tried calming music and that doesn't seem to help, as lovely as it sounds!

Cher xxx

Comments

• Options
    Absolutly random guess but head massage?
  • Options
    Yeah, helped mine. You can do it yourself.

Plenty of water too, dehydration doesn't help, and make sure you're getting enough sleep. They can reduce tension.
  • Options
    Aromatherapy oils might be some help as well, when it comes to destressing, and they don't need to be expensive - just get a cheap oil burner, and some oils, and away they go.

I can't think of the oils that might help you off the top of my head, but there's plenty of them, and plenty of websites. If you're intrigued, PM me and I can double check what would help when I've got access to some books :)
  • Options
    Thank you, I'll do that and try those things :)

I don't drink much water, so I'll try and increase that!

xxx
  • Options
    Also, I wonder does caffine have any effect on headaches? I drink a lot of coke and tea you see.

xxx
  • Options
    i think u should avoid caffine if u got tension headaches.

My fella finds that Syndol helps.
  • Options
    i have had this same problem not so long ago, a tension headache is like a tight band across the forehead and sometimes there is pressure at each side of the head, no painkiller will touch a tension headache, i tried every trick in the book and without doubt accupuncture is the best solution, my headache was gone the next day & hasn't been back since, it costs about £40, make sure you find a registered one

if thats to expensive try a herbal remedy called natracalm that you can buy from superdrug, its about £4 and its very good.
  • Options
    Hey, I get them all the time at the moment. Painkillers tend to be a waste of time BUT I have found that one of those cold eye patch things (don't have it too cold though) works a treat or that 4head stuff that you just put on - it smells a bit odd though.

I've tried natracalm and didn't think much of it but others I know swear by it.

As has already been said, I would also avoid caffeine based drinks and try to drink a lot more water.

If I'm honest though, the best thing that I've found is a warm scented bath or just sleeping with my head under a pillow, neither of which is very practical for during the day in lectures or the Uni library though!
  • Options
    Accupuncture is the needles thing right? Eeeeek! I suppose if it's a long term solution, it's worth it.

No, you're right Loopi. Painkillers are a waste of time, I have tried them all including the rubbish Headex stuff! I will try all those things, I have heard of the "4head" thing. I don't mind it smelling bad, if it gets rid of the pain then it can smell like anything it wants to :p

xxx
  • Options
    yes accupuncture is needles, but please give it a go - its well worth it!!
  • Options
    Silly question, but is it at all painful?

x
  • Options
    most points are not painful, definately not as bad as having blood taken, there are some points that hurt mildly but a good accupuncterist will warn you first!
  • Options
    Thank you for the advice :) I will definetly think about it...I'm just worried at the thought of having needles stuck everywhere but if it's a cure I'm sure it's worth it!!

xxx
  • Options
    Dehydration is the major cause of most headaches or at least a contributing factor so deffo make sure you're getting enough water. My 2p
  • Options
    hiya

syndol tabs are good as they're specifically designed for tension headaches, although it isn't a good idea to take them the whole time, and they can make you drowsy.

the other thing to try is to take your middle finger and place the tip of it in the crease in the middle of your forehead and apply some pressure to it for a few minutes, it kills the pain and relaxes the muscles a bit...it will work temporarily and you can repeat it as oft as necessary...

HTH a bit
    Love cavegirl
    xx
  • Options
    My dad has like this bean bag thing that smells nice and you put it in the microwave and it heats up and then you put it on your head and it's meant to relieve the pain. Anyone know what they are called? Don't know if it works but it was an idea.
  • Options
    I'll definetly try as many of the suggestions as I can, thank you.

I have heard of those things, unfortunately I don't know the name! I've tried cooling patches before, but they were rubbish...going warm after about 5 minutes! I did get them from poundland though.

xxx