Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Ribena explosion.

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Ha. Well.... basically, I just opened a bottle of Ribena we bought today, I pulled the ringpull-seal-thing off and, it exploded. All over the walls, the counters, the floor, my clothes and my arms and feet.

The bottle went from a full bottle of juice, to having about an inch worth of juice left in the bottom, the rest was full of a really thick foam, that isn't dying away like normal fizz does from drinks and stuff...

It's stained all my skin, and ruined my clothes. Luckily we got it up everywhere else before it could do damage. It smells funny as well, but not so bad that you'd think :eek2: "my god"

Anyone know what might of made it do this? It's in date, and we've not had it stored anywhere dodgy while it's here - it was literally bought at about 7:30 this evening....

Comments

• Options
    Complain. A similar thing happened to me with a smoothie and I got a £20 voucher and a whole crate of smoothies delivered to me.
  • Options
    PussyKatty wrote:
    Complain. A similar thing happened to me with a smoothie and I got a £20 voucher and a whole crate of smoothies delivered to me.

Haha, we're doing that indeedy. Mum's taking it back to ASDA in the morning, and I'm going to write to Ribena, taken pictures of all the damaged/ruined clothes etc, though I wasn't quick enough to think to take a picture of what it'd done to the room, we just wanted to get it off.

I'm just really intrigued as to what might of made it do that! I hadn't shook it or anything, not that it'd make a huge difference to an explosion like that, because it's a still drink....

Dad's theory is that the berrys (Yes, every single berry that was used for my specific bottle) have been injected with something that's made it ferment and make a build up of gas in the bottle, but that's him being over dramatic. :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Didnt think ribena could do that >_<. Sounds like you have a good case though! (Lets see the pics!)
  • Options
    I would imagine that some air got in, maybe the lid was not fitted properly or there was a tiny hole, and it then fermented and the pressure built up.

As well as complaining to Asda, complain to Ribena. I went straight to the manufacturers when I complained. Look on the ribena website for a contact.
  • Options
    Nikki* wrote:
    Dad's theory is that the berrys (Yes, every single berry that was used for my specific bottle) have been injected with something that's made it ferment and make a build up of gas in the bottle, but that's him being over dramatic. :rolleyes:

yeast and sugar... found in and on berries...
  • Options
    why is there a thumbs up on my post?
  • Options
    katralla wrote:
    yeast and sugar... found in and on berries...

Why would this specific bottle explode on me though? We get through tons of Ribena in this house, at least a bottle a week, if not more, and we've been having it since I was about 4....
  • Options
    In the summer i had a bottle of ribena, you know the ready to drink mixed stuff, that tasted and smelt like salmon i have never come across anything so vile! I did mean to write to ribena but the bottles still sitting on my desk now... Oh well :p
  • Options
    oh, I have no idea at all, just saying that the ingredients to make berry juice ferment wouldn't have to be maliciously injected. My bro wrote to ribena when he was little and suggested they make ribena ice lollys, they sent him loads and loads of ribena hard sucky type lollys for the suggestion.... hmmn, don't they make ice lollys now? don't think he got a fair deal there.
  • Options
    ruby_soho wrote:
    In the summer i had a bottle of ribena, you know the ready to drink mixed stuff, that tasted and smelt like salmon i have never come across anything so vile! I did mean to write to ribena but the bottles still sitting on my desk now... Oh well :p

Ha, don't suppose there's an address on that bottle? I can't find it on the website, just an email form and a phone number, but I want to send the pictures, although on the computer, they don't look as bad as they were.
  • Options
    We had a bottle of pepsi explode once....just sitting on the kitchen counter unopended and suddenly just exploded! Like you I stared in disbelief at the mess that it made, to add insult to injury it was a brand new kitchen and we had only just grouted the tiles the day before....it stained all the grout but we managed to clean it up from every where else.

Anyway I realised that we had left the bottle near one of the pelmet lights and obviously the heat had made the bottle blow up under the pressure. Clearly Ribena isn't fizzy and could be one of a dodgy batch, I would contact the makers of Ribena and report it and also the shop that you bought it from.
  • Options
    Nikki* wrote:
    Ha. Well.... basically, I just opened a bottle of Ribena we bought today, I pulled the ringpull-seal-thing off and, it exploded. All over the walls, the counters, the floor, my clothes and my arms and feet.

The bottle went from a full bottle of juice, to having about an inch worth of juice left in the bottom, the rest was full of a really thick foam, that isn't dying away like normal fizz does from drinks and stuff...

It's stained all my skin, and ruined my clothes. Luckily we got it up everywhere else before it could do damage. It smells funny as well, but not so bad that you'd think :eek2: "my god"

Anyone know what might of made it do this? It's in date, and we've not had it stored anywhere dodgy while it's here - it was literally bought at about 7:30 this evening....

Can I be you? Seriously?
  • Options
    Yerascrote wrote:
    Can I be you? Seriously?

?? I'm confused.... :confused:
  • Options
    I LOVE Ribena. I hope this never happens to me, i'd be well gutted about the pure waste of ribena. hehe.

Just as a quick sidenote although it doesnt really matter if your mum has already taken it - I'd definitely plan on complaining to Ribena instead of Asda, Asda wont really be able to do much apart from replace it orr refund it as its not their brand and they dont make it. But if they replace it they'd keep the original bottle and you'll have no proof for Ribena then who are far more likely to give you more compensation. :thumb:
  • Options
    Nikki* wrote:
    Ha, don't suppose there's an address on that bottle?

Yar.

Customer Relations, Gsk, Freepost TK2018, Brentford, TW8 9GS. Annnd 0800 096 3666 is zee number to ring.