Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Closing pores with vodka

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I've found that applying a small drop of vodka with cotton wool to my face after I've washed it keeps it less greasy and closes my pores. Anyone else tried this? How often is it ok to do this?

Comments

• Options
    I can think of much more fun things to do with vodka...
  • Options
    A couple places on the internet does say that, though no places I would necissairly trust and they don't say any more than what your post pretty much said.

But I'm with Katrella, theres so much better things to do ;)

Why not just use an astrengent or toner? Some of them contain alcohol if thats what your aiming for :phttp://www.cleanandclear.com/productDetail.do?productid=28
  • Options
    kangoo wrote:
    I've found that applying a small drop of vodka with cotton wool to my face after I've washed it keeps it less greasy and closes my pores. Anyone else tried this? How often is it ok to do this?
    I bet You discovered that when drunk.

Btw will You smell like szolled hobo??
  • Options
    Lots of the toner things have alcohol in them, so it's not an uncommon idea. Just see which is cheaper!
  • Options
    Lots of the toner things have alcohol in them, so it's not an uncommon idea. Just see which is cheaper!

:yes: Plus, alot also come with acne medications or other helpfull facial products in them.
  • Options
    i wouldn't say the sugars would do your face much good tbh even if the alcohol works.
  • Options
    Products with alcohol in can dry your skin.
  • Options
    My skin is incredibly greasy so drying it is good! I find it works better than anything I've bought (and most of them have been alcohol based, but I have sensitive skin and a few of them irritate my skin and make it greasier). Vodka seems to work and doesn't irritate my skin! But it doesn't have any useage instructions or warnings on how to use it on your face on the bottle so I'm not sure! Surprising that!

No I didn't discover it when I was drunk, although I discovered how soft beer makes your hair when working in a bar. Must be all that protein :) The wonders of alcohol
  • Options
    I would have thought Vodka could have burnt your skin, especially if it was sensitive?
  • Options
    Have you tried an astrengent for oily skin? Or one for sensitive skin? I'm sure if you look there'll be several for oily sensitive skin. :yes:
  • Options
    my_name wrote:
    Have you tried an astrengent for oily skin? Or one for sensitive skin? I'm sure if you look there'll be several for oily sensitive skin. :yes:

:yes:

http://www.boots.com/shop/product_details.jsp?productid=1006878&classificationid=1017970 Products like this, that are hypoallergenic, but designed for oily skin, are going to do your skin a lot more favours than actual alcohol. :)
  • Options
    Alcohol as strong as vodka is likely to over-dry your skin, which can cause pimples which are very painful and unsightly. I have had very oily skin in the past and have found that clinque's products work very well and also a brand called nimue. I would strongly advise you not to use vodka to dry out your skin.
  • Options
    What's camel cum like for acne? Me desperate!
  • Options
    kangoo wrote:

well, that's the reason there is alcohol in many face washes.

Vodka isn't suitable for it, I'd say. It's very strong and like you said removes the grease, but really dries your skin, which is just the other extreme, which is as bad. try to find a face desinfection with a little amount of alcohol, which has a better cleansing function as well.

1) Wash face
    2) use desinfect with alcohol on face.
    3) if it does not have a re-fatting thingy in it, or is very strong in alcohol (I do not advice them)
    then
    4) use some skin-fatting cream.
  • Options
    Yerascrote wrote:
    What's camel cum like for acne? Me desperate!

Just use your own man juice, I use it as a face pack an works really well :thumb:
  • Options
    Nikki I've tried ones similar to that one you posted. I've got thousands of pore purifying crap, cleansers, toners, spot blitzing face scrubs, cleansers that are supposed to purify while being kind to your sensitive skin, every brand you can think of - I've got a whole box of them that are ubnfinished because none of them seem to work :( Vodka doesn't seem to 'dry' out my skin too much - obviously it does to some degree but my skin doesn't feel dry after I use it. Its just not shiney like it normally is and it feels soft. That's why I'm wondering how often to use it because it doesn't seem to have any adverse effects! I'm using benzoyl peroxide every night to control the grease and vodka before I go out on a night out to stop me becoming shiney, so that's only once or twice a week. I'm not worried about drying out my skin because thats what I need to do because its so greasy, I'm just worried if there was any other effects of using it!
  • Options
    StrubbleS wrote:
    a re-fatting thingy in it, 4) use some skin-fatting cream.

I must ask, what is this fatting?
  • Options
    Oh so I was thinking last night (I really need a hobby :p )

How about rubbing alcohol? As was said before, vodka contains sugars, among other ingrediants http://www.tastings.com/spirits/vodka.html , rubbing alcohol is much purer (around 70% ethynol depending on manufacture) and lacking in other things that could be nasty to your skin. Used for antiseptic, disenfecting and cleansing... If you're content on looking for alcohol as opposed to facial products, I'd suggest that. And dead cheap ;)
  • Options
    **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
    kangoo wrote:
    That's why I'm wondering how often to use it because it doesn't seem to have any adverse effects! I'm using benzoyl peroxide every night to control the grease and vodka before I go out on a night out to stop me becoming shiney, so that's only once or twice a week. I'm not worried about drying out my skin because thats what I need to do because its so greasy, I'm just worried if there was any other effects of using it!

Hi Kangoo,
    You could ask Antonia about this in our skincare chat on Thursday - hope you can make it, but if not I'm happy to ask on your behalf :)
  • Options
    Awwh I work thursday nights :(
  • Options
    **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
    kangoo wrote:
    Awwh I work thursday nights :(

That's a shame - I'll ask a question for you then :)
  • Options
    Ahh thanks! :)