Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

weird things

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
This is typed in a trail of thought sort of way so sorry if it's boring.

On the way home I was getting a lift home from one of the older members of my class. There was a bit of a kerfuffle going on in front but to the lane by the side of us. Gill, the person who I was in a car with told me not to look. A man had come off of his motorbike. I got this horrible feeling in my stomach that worked it's way up. Anyway I didn't look. Partly because I didn't want to see and partly because I didn't want to be one of the gawpers. Gill told me that it looked quite bad and was glad that I didn't look.

Recently, in a kinda morbid way I have been thinking about death. It's just been the anniversary of my dad's death. Which I did nothing to remember him by, although I thought about him a lot that day. I must look very heartless to the people around me because I don't talk about him really or anything.

Strangely, today in English Literature we were discussing death and bodies in chapels of rest etc. (We are reading Wuthering Heights) and people started saying how strange chapels of rest are. It made me think back to the time I saw my dad's body last December. I had never seen a dead body before and it was very strange. He was all there but seemed just, shrivelled. Not in an obvious way. He wasn't wrinkly. It's so hard to explain. Just small, which I know naturally happens but sunken in.

Back to the motorbike incident. It makes me worry about my boyfriend. He drives a motorbike and I usually go on the back of it. I'd hate anything to happen to him. The man who came off the motorbike just made me think of him. In a selfish way and also stupid (because I know that people come off motorbikes all the time) I'm scared of going on the motorbike again. He drives carefully with me on obviously but I kept (and this was before the accident today) having images of me coming off the motorbike and ambulances and my own head being put into one of those crash things when they take you away.

Plus I'm doing an essay on Virginia Woolf and there's a lot of questioning of immortality in that . Maybe I'm too easily influenced.

Gahhh. I'm not asking any advice as such but yeah. PLEASE DONT HAVE A GO AT MY WEIRD POST.

Comments

• Options
    Seeing a dead person does make you think, it's natural and not at all wierd.
    A man died by crashing his motorbike into a lorry on a sharp bend at the end of my lane. Me and my mate walked past only a few minutes after the police and ambulance arrived, we were only feet away from the dead man and I looked into his eyes which sent a shiver all over my body. I spent the whole day in my room alone thinking about life and death that day.
    The man had 2 children, one was about 5 and the other about 6 or 7, they went to the primary school that I went to and are friends with my mates younger brother.
    Motorbikes can be very dangerous, but then so could driving a car or getting on a train, potentially.
  • Options
    That must have been terrible. I didnt even glimpse him but it still made me think.
  • Options
    It wasn't exactly the happiest day of my life.
    But my way of thinking now is that if at all possible, don't fear death. It happens to us all at one stage, it's a natural thing, although I know it hurts so much to have someone close to you die. I believe in living life to the fullest, I want to be on my death bed, thinking to myself that I've achieved everything that I wanted to that was possible and that I have no regrets.
    I don't know what my views are on an 'afterlife' are, but I definately know that this life is real and I want to make it a good one while it lasts.
  • Options
    Well, as a paramedic you get used to see dead people, if you don't know them. the much harder part as you said is to think about, or see someone you are familar/together/aquainted with dead...

Not that I saw him, but recently one of my remote friends died in a motorcycle accident and it was awful to hear about it.

When I started as a paramedic back in the days, every bleeding cut, every hard-breathing old man, who has this 'plz let me die'-look on his face, every poor, senile person living in his own trash and feces was a real shock, to see what kind of people in your hometown live, even tho you never see them. There is a lot going on behind lock and key, you as a usual citizen never hear of. It often times made me think and discuss with my collegues back. The psychic pressure right at the beginning was quite big.

maybe like Stalin said, "A single death is tragedy, a millions death is statistic."

If you are never really confronted with it, witnessing death might leave marks for a long time...

well, i guess nobody will have a go at your post, because there is one that is even more confuse and :eek2: ,... mine ^^
  • Options
    I think that worrying about death and mortality is a natural thing to do. Losing a loved one has to be the scariest thought in the world. Car accidents always shit me up and make my blood run cold. I think sometimes it can be a good thing to worry about though - maybe it makes us more careful; maybe it makes us kind of seize every moment too cos who wants to have regrets.
  • Options
    Seeing serious accidents and death out on the street must be awful. I really hate to think about motorcycle accidents but it does kind of stop me winding the trottle on when I'm out and about...

I'm exposed to a very strange aspect of death on almost a daily basis as I work in a histopathology lab. We get a small number samples of tissues taken at autopsy - liver, lung, brain, kidney and I never think about the actual person. Even when I went to the mortuary to watch a PM, it was more like a really in depth anatomy and physiology lesson.

There are autopsy reports lying around in the lab from various sources and i read one the other week that made me feel a bit sick. It was an accidental death of a girl by drowning, horrible witness statements were attached and it really did get me thinking about her last moments.
  • Options
    Seeing my dad wasn't all that pleasant. I suppose it gave me some closure though. We'd all dream our loved ones would die peacefully in their sleep, or at least quickly. But anyway...

...saw a bad car accident once, with a body being pulled out the car by passers by. That shook me up for the day, I don't think it's weird at all. I think my dad's death has influenced my own life a lot, I don't worry so much any more and have a much more 'you only live once' attitude. By pure coincidence, soon after he died I took up riding motorcycles myself. Maybe all bikers have a death wish?