Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

going on date and petrified

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru

Comments

• Options
    Ahh, how exciting! :D

I would avoid wearing something overtly sexy, though heels are always good if he's a tall'un and you feel you can cope/won't have to walk far. Otherwise what about boots, they're a bit more manageable even with a heel! This said, make sure you wear something that makes you feel sexy while being comfortable. That's the important distinction. Low maintenence hair is the way forward - whether up or down. You definitely don't want to be worrying about your elaborate up-do while you are trying to flirt! ;)

As for paying, I hate being paid for so I would at least attempt to pay for my own ticket etc, if not his too. If he offers to pay and insists then let smile, say thank you and let him get it... then just say that it's your treat next time around.

Good luck, and most importantly have fun... I am sure you will blow his mind!
  • Options
    i agree with the person above :)
    just go out and have fun hun
  • Options
    wear your hair how you feel comfortable and how it suits you. :yes:

and heels can never fail to make a girl feel sexy (if not a little sore!) so maybe they might be a good idea. but then it depends how much walking you have to do and what the rest of your outfit is like. :)

have fun!
  • Options
    i think when "dating" it should be expected to split any costs...thats just my 2p worth, i have however offered to pay in the past but wouldnt make an issue if they offered something towards. or try the old, i'll get the tickets, you get the popcorn thing.

going for overtly sexy could give off the wrong impression.
  • Options
    PussyKatty wrote:
    I'm going on a date tonight, the first one for ages and I'm prety nervous.

Going to the cinema and for drinks after.

I don't know what to wear (I want to look a bit sexy but not OTT, plus he's pretty tall but if I wear high heels I get grumpy and can't walk!), I don't know how to do my hair (up or down?)

Should I expect him to pay? Is there actually anything decent on at the cinema at the moment?

I don't know why I'm so nervous, I have been out with him once before and kissed so I guess he likes me but there just seems to be all this expectation! Help.

In Strubbles point of view.

Lose the heels. It does not matter if he's tell. The ~2 inches you gain won't make too much difference. About the hair thing... Hmmm. As a boy I notice of course when you hair is well-groomed, but I do not assess your hair of how you wear it. It's really up to you.

Don't expect him to pay. Tbh. When I go out with a girl I will pay for her if it seems appropriate, but I WON'T as soon as I notice you want me to pay, because you think it's going to be a cheap night for you, because my wallet will do the work. Do you go out with me? or with my money.

Well, if you kissed already and you like each other I don't think there won't be many negative chicanery. At the end of the date turn to him, look him into his eyes and he will know what to do :thumb:

/edit:
    then just say that it's your treat next time around.

I know you are an old fashioned kind of girl PussyKatty, but I agree with briggi there. If a girl invites me for something, or at least makes the attempt to do it, I feel flattered and it's a turn on. If I just notice a sign she appriciates me enough to pay for me, I would not let that go without recompensation!
  • Options
    koe_182 wrote:
    i think when "dating" it should be expected to split any costs...thats just my 2p worth

Really? I thought when dating the guy would pay for both, but then once your in a relationship etc sooner or later you would go halves.
  • Options
    squeal wrote:
    Really? I thought when dating the guy would pay for both, but then once your in a relationship etc sooner or later you would go halves.

well, obviously there isn't any written rule to that.

There will be always disagreements in times where chivalry meets emancipation.
    I'm rather with koe on that one tho. I rather have the bill split, or like he said, the good ol' "I get the tickets, you the popcorn." That's a tad more personal...

As a man you shouldn't settle for the cheaper thing then, because it's rude to advise someone to pay ~12€ for tickets and you get a pot of popcorn for 4€.
  • Options
    **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
    squeal wrote:
    Really? I thought when dating the guy would pay for both.

If he insists on it and wants to do it for the right reasons, but imo, I don't think it should ever, ever be assumed or expected.
    But as strubbles says - there's no written rule.
  • Options
    squeal wrote:

here's me thinking that women wanted to be treat as equals...
    they only want that when it benefits them...typical. :rolleyes:

im in a relationship right now, and i dont mind paying for stuff here and there, because i know i'll get stuff paid for in return..its swings and roundabouts..

certainly when ive dated i wont insist on paying for everything, sometimes it wouldnt bother me, but it certainly shouldnt be expected.
  • Options
    This is how I see the whole paying thing - if someone invites me somewhere I would therefore expect them to pay for me and if i invited someone somewhere then I would expect to pay for them.

However if I went to the cinema I would probably let them buy the tickets and then whilst they were in the que go buy pop corn and drinks etc - thus avoiding the arguments over paying but both kind of roughly paying the same.

I could just be really old fashioned though - and also I have always been out with people who have earnt much more than I have or with the poorere people have never actually "dated" - just hung out at each others houses.
  • Options
    squeal wrote:

I've not bothered going on a second date before now because she expected me to pay for everything on the first date. Nothing gets my back up more. It's the 21st century, not 1872. At the end of the day, you're fairly likely to be dating someone who's a similar age to you and earns a similar amount of money. Therefore you should both pay a similar amount...
  • Options
    It depends on the people. Some men are happy to pay for everything and some women are happy to have everything paid for (opposite can also sometimes apply). The vast majority of people fall somewhere in the middle and either go Dutch or one pays one time, one pays the next.

I fucking HATE this being made into a huge issue, it's only money, I'd happily pay every time if necessary - anything for a quiet life. As for it being the 21st century, indeed! But I have found it is men who usually dwell on and display the backward, old-fashioned attitude these days, assuming that all women expect to be paid for and making little snipes all the time to that effect. God damn it, it annoys me.

eta: As for the OP, I don't think she was displaying this "I expect him to pay" attitude at all. Given the fact that she says she's petrified it's more likely that she's trying to get things reet in her head beforehand to avoid one of those awkward 'who's going to pay?'... "I'll get it"/"No, I'll get it" scenarios. Nowt wrong with that, at all :)
  • Options
    I didn't mean i would expect the person to pay for me, as iv always gone along intending to pay for myself, i just meant that most men i have met have always offered to pay for me.

However when your in a relationship it becomes more equal. I wasn't saying i expect to be paid for as sometimes i hate that as i have found out in the past, especially those that insist on paying for EVERYTHING, even petrol in my bloody car !!
  • Options
  • Options
    PussyKatty wrote:
    I've been and bought some new clothes in my lunch break so I do at least have something to wear.

I think I'll expect to pay for my own ticket but if he offers or asks for two tickets then I'll let him.

:eek:

let him AND SAY 'THANK YOU!'

Mother StrubbleS did not taught me wrong!
  • Options
    PussyKatty wrote:
    I've been and bought some new clothes in my lunch break so I do at least have something to wear.

I think I'll expect to pay for my own ticket but if he offers or asks for two tickets then I'll let him.

:eek:

Aw good stuff, a new outfit always makes a difference. Have a little pampering sesh when you get home and you'll be all set! Knock him dead :D
  • Options
    Yes, I feel sometimes I want to pay, and I'd feel even worse if she refused. Let me pay. In the past girls have tried to refuse, but I just tell them they'd do me a favour if they'd just let me ;) They'll compensate for you, I hope. If a girl didnt mention to me that she wanted to pay me back, maybe next time, I'd be a bit disappointed. I couldn't give a rat's ass about the money, really, it just marks a poor beginning to the relationship IMHO. :)
  • Options
    If it's something cheap like the cinema, then I'll just let her pay. If it's a restaurant though that costs quite a bit, and I'm the one that's decided to go there, then I'll usually pay. Mainly because I don't like putting people under pressure to pay for something they wouldn't normally spend that much money on. I don't like making a decision to do something expensive, if I'm going to only pay half the bill. In a club or pub, I'll usually buy one drink for her, then see if she buys the next round. If she doesn't then I'll just buy my own from then on.

And of course you can always use it as a way of suggesting a second date. "Okay, I'll let you pay this time, but next time it's my treat." ;);););).......in case he doesn't get the hint. Actually, it might be a bad idea to wink that many times.
  • Options
    PussyKatty wrote:
    I'm going on a date tonight, the first one for ages and I'm prety nervous.

I could always follow you around. Wear a blonde wig, pvc coat, head scarf and big Jackie O glasses a la 1960's spy thriller. Then again i'd look more like Lily Savage.

Don't do what i did when i went to Great Park last week. Go to the loo halfway through the film, come back, sit in the wrong seat and help yourself to some strangers pic 'n' mix :blush:
  • Options
    Just be yourself, that's all you can do. I don't know if I'm a bit weird but I don't like guys paying for me on dates, but each person has their preference. I hope it goes well for you. I've always felt petrified on first dates, but after the first half an hour I loosen up and I start talking (probably a bit too much...).

I've found in the past that the cinema is definetly a good un for first dates, because as the first bit is always the most nerve-racking...you don't really have to say much, so when it comes to the "drinks" afterwards you feel relaxed. Just don't get drunk on your first date, I have made that mistake before haha!

Cher xxx
  • Options
  • Options
    PussyKatty wrote:
    Rubberskin, I'm sure I saw a suspicious man in a wig following me last night. ;)

In the end I don't know why I was panicking. In the queue he just went up and asked for two tickets, and I said thank you and I got popcorn and drink. Then afterwards we went for drinks and just took turns buying drinks. Stayed out till 3am.

He's really nice :) Don't think I'll feel so nervous next time!

:yippe:
    That's excellent.
  • Options
    I'm glad it went well! Do you think they'll be another date? :)

xxx