Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Adverts - grr

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
Do adverts prevent you watching your fave prog?

I love Ugly Betty, Desperate Housewives and Lost, but all those damn adverts drive me crazy :banghead: and I have to turn off half way through the programme as they just go on for so long and annoy me too much.

Why can't every channel be like the Beeb?
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    Adverts' benefit is that they give you time to go to the toilet or make something quick to eat while wathcing, and not miss anything. I'm a bit annoyed by channels that show a whole movie with no break.
  • Options
    They annoy me when i'm laid in bed at night, awake whilst watching the programme but then when the adverts come on i start to fall asleep and then i can't be bothered to watch telly anymore so miss it all. If there were no adverts i'd be able to watch the whole programme with no problem at all.
  • Options
    Why can't every channel be like the Beeb?
    BBC spend ages on advertising their own TV programmes, radio shows and adverts for Freeview. Ok they aren't in the middle of programmes but they still take up a lot of time.
  • Options
    Adverts' benefit is that they give you time to go to the toilet or make something quick to eat while wathcing, and not miss anything. I'm a bit annoyed by channels that show a whole movie with no break.
    So you never go to the cinema then? Can't handle going for a wizz before hand?
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    Fiend_85 wrote:
    I do go to the cinema, but I prefer ones that have a break in the middle (sadly they're rare).
    I never said I don't watch such channels, just that they annoy me. Pay attention. ;)
  • Options
    My mind automatically switches off when the break comes on
  • Options
    Adverts are great, they tell me what products I need to buy to make my life better. Bathe in the branding, live for the lifestyle!
  • Options
    I don't mind adverts, I have a short attention span and like to go to the loo/get a cup of tea/tidy up.

But I do mind that they make them so LOUD. I usually turn the volume off during the ads.
  • Options
    Fiend_85 wrote:

In Iceland it's the norm to have a break halfway through at the cinema. If you are one of three persons watching the movie they however skip the break.

Ads in programs was a bit odd to get used to when it started, but now if I'm at uni I use the time to go to the toilet or tidy or get something done. I often read textbooks. In the city I often check what's elsewhere as there's nothing to do in the TV room. ;)
  • Options
    We just record everything then flip thru the commercials.

Though sometimes I like commercials. FUnny stuff, specially during the superbowl.