Home Drink & Drugs
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Your brain on drugs...

JadedJaded Posts: 2,682 Boards Guru
Hey there, I came across this site recently and although it is quite a simplified representation of what happens to your brain chemistry on certain drugs, it is also quite interesting.

This is what they have to say about it:
The simplified mechanisms of drug action presented here are just a small part of the story. When drugs enter the body they elicit very complex effects in many different regions of the brain. Often they interact with many different types of neurotransmitters and may bind with a variety of receptor types in a variety of different locations. For example, THC in marijuana can bind with cannabinoid receptors located on the presynaptic and/or postsynaptic cell in a synapse.

Where applicable, this presentation primarily depicts how drugs interact with dopamine neurotransmitters because this website focuses on the brain's reward pathway. Mouse Party is designed to provide a small glimpse into the chemical interactions at the synaptic level that cause the drug user to feel 'high'.

It is called Mouse Partyand it was developed by the Genetic Science User Centre atthe University of Utah, but don't let the fact it is American put you off.

I'm interested to know whether you think it is any good....

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I think this was posted a couple of months ago wasn't it?

I found it quite interesting...
  • Options
    smitherzsmitherz Posts: 968 Part of The Mix Family
    Yes it was posted a while back, Its a good way of presenting the information
  • Options
    JadedJaded Posts: 2,682 Boards Guru
    Sorry, I was away all December so I must have missed it. My bad.
  • Options
    :O A mod with a double post!? Heh. ;)
    That thread deserved a bumb anyways. Quite an interesting site. What is all this talk about it being American. There is nothing wrong with that.
  • Options
    That thread deserved a bumb anyways. Quite an interesting site. What is all this talk about it being American. There is nothing wrong with that.

American drug information has often been accused of being sensationalised or just outright lies, though those accusations are directed more at government information I believe.
  • Options
    Drugs have definately fucked up my brain. Well the part that affects vision anyway.
  • Options
    Addict wrote:
    American drug information has often been accused of being sensationalised or just outright lies, though those accusations are directed more at government information I believe.

I would certainly accuse anti-drug organizations for that. Though accusing all of America for the inaccurate drug information circulated by anti-drug companies isn't fair :(.

Check out www.freevibe.com. Perfect example.
  • Options
    Yerascrote wrote:
    Drugs have definately fucked up my brain. Well the part that affects vision anyway.

Pink diamonds.

Nuff said.;)
  • Options
    Shogun wrote:
    Pink diamonds.

Nuff said.;)

Haha fuck you ya space cadet! :D