Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

The price of bread

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
How much do you spend on bread?

I usually get sunflower seed brown bread from Asda which is about 50p for a small loaf.

The nasty white pre sliced stuff (which incidentally seems to always be thick sliced) they sell in my local shop is at least £1.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/low/magazine/6240619.stm

Comments

• Options
    I love the tiger loaf from asda, thats probably about 80 or 90p
  • Options
    £1 a day for a Warburtons Blue loaf at home, £1 a week for the same loaf for toast at work and when I got to Birds or the supermarket, I'll get a granary loaf for salmon sandwhiches :yum:
  • Options

:yes: :yum:
  • Options
    Probably about £2 a week- we get through a loaf of Hovis wholewheat a week, and the rest is on bread buns for our sandwiches.
  • Options
    I buy from the local corner store which sells bread made locally (I'm a bit of a ponce you see) and it costs me £1.10 a loaf.
  • Options
    When Im organised I make my own, when Im not I buy Warburtons blue but I have no idea how much it is.

Last week my Mum asked me to pick up a loaf for her on my way to her house and I only took £1 from my purse, £1.15 it was!
  • Options
    Hovis and Warburton's are pricey, but if you buy the Tesco/Asda/Co-op equivalent it's about half that price.

My favourite is Costcutter family loaf thick for 59p, or M&S thick white loaf for about 80p I think.
  • Options
    I spend between 80p and 1.20. I like Warburtons wholemeal.

I hate them breads from the bakery at the supermarkets, The crust gives me jaw ache, Dunno why people choose to eat them :confused:
  • Options
    I spend between 80p and 1.20. I like Warburtons wholemeal.

I hate them breads from the bakery at the supermarkets, The crust gives me jaw ache, Dunno why people choose to eat them :confused:

Just realised it's actually Kingsmill and Not Warbies :yeees:
  • Options
    kingsmill is pretty good bread, always seems to be softer than the rest, that costs about £1, and last me 5 days or so.

then i buy some cheap sliced bread, morrissons brand or something costing 30p lasting a week
  • Options
    I generally get an uncut white bloomer from whichever supermarket I go to. That's generally about 80 - 90p and generally get through 2 loaves a week.
  • Options
    i don't buy bread that often 'cause i won't normally get through a whole loaf but last week i gave myself a rest from porridge and had toast for breakfast. i bought hovis best of both and i think it was about £1 - it was still soft by the end of the week! :D
  • Options
    JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    ASDA own wholemeal - 27p or something. Good bread for the price and it lasts ages. I always try to pick up a big breadstick if they are going cheaply enough (2p when I went the other day!)
  • Options
    as a household we normally go through 2 loaves of bread. I pay more for gluten-free bread £2.29 a loaf. Half the size of a normal loaf which is a pain. Rest of family normally get Hovis White Granary which I think iss about £1.26. I wish I could speciality free from bread was cheaper
  • Options
    I like Wonder Bread. Though its around $2.75 a loaf, but it goes on sale often for around $1.50.

I love sandwiches and peanut butter toast and bread in general, but I rarely have any around because I hate the grocery store.

Good stuff. With the exception of homemade... but thats too posh for me :p
  • Options
    I like expensive bread.
  • Options
    what happens if you eat gluten ButtonMoon?
  • Options
    my_name wrote:
    I like Wonder Bread. Though its around $2.75 a loaf, but it goes on sale often for around $1.50.

Its not really bread is it, because its not baked, its a chemical reaction.
  • Options

I tried that once but the way it looked keep putting me off .. don't wanna put you off though..
  • Options

My fave! 79p from Tesco if I remember rightly.

I also try and make a soda bread at least once a week, I'm an addict and there's nowt quite like homemade :yum: My fella makes a traditional Swedish sweet bread called sirapslimpa sometimes too and we have a bit of ongoing rivalry about whose is better (mine is, obviously :thumb:).
  • Options
    I got a bag of Warburton's rolls for 19p at Morrisons last night :yippe:
  • Options
    JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    Kermit wrote:
    I got a bag of Warburton's rolls for 19p at Morrisons last night :yippe:
    I got a huge baguette stick for 2p at ASDA last night.

:p
  • Options
    in my local shop, its 70p for a loaf of braces bread, but for uncut, its about £1.10, which realy confuses me, why does it cost less for sliced bread?