Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Period lasts too long?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hey, well as i posted a while ago my girlfriend was taking a while to get her period. She finally got her period over 3 days late. And with the new kind of birth control she is on, she take the pill for a certain amount of days and then she has 4 days where she is off it, while her period is on until she takes them again. But there is an issue...

She is STILL on her period. She has been on her period for over a week, my girlfriend and i were both under the impression that when you start the pill again after the period break, it ends your period. So we are worried about why she is still on her period. Are there any reasons you might know for this?

She is starting to feel like she is getting a UTI as well. She hates tampons and only wears them half the time. She ALWAYS wears a pad because she is afraid of not wearing one. Is there a chance that she is getting a UTI from wearing a pad too much?

I dont think she could be getting a UTI from sex because we have not had sex in over 2 weeks! We decided to take a break for a little while. Any ideas what is going on?

Comments

• Options
    I think freak periods are common on the pill. I know one of my friends had a period that lasted 2 weeks not long ago and she's on it.

Water infections can come any time, it doesn't have to be sex that causes them. They usually clear themselves up, in the time being she can pop into her pharmacy and get something to help ease it and clear it up.
  • Options
    this same thing happened the last time she had her period though, so i dont think its a freak period. Her last period lasted SO long. And now this one is too.
  • Options
    BunnieBunnie Posts: 6,099 Master Poster
    Well if she is concerned, then maybe she should pop to her GPs. However, I wouldn't be too concerned, its probably just her bodies way of getting used to the pill.
  • Options
    Bunnie wrote:
    Well if she is concerned, then maybe she should pop to her GPs. However, I wouldn't be too concerned, its probably just her bodies way of getting used to the pill.

I was thinking this as well.
  • Options
    BunnieBunnie Posts: 6,099 Master Poster
    Sofie wrote:
    I was thinking this as well.
    great minds....;)
  • Options
    Mike_17 wrote:
    this same thing happened the last time she had her period though, so i dont think its a freak period. Her last period lasted SO long. And now this one is too.
    it can happen, you said she's not been on this new one long. Relax. The pill can do all sorts of weird stuff to you.
  • Options
    New pills can take a while to settle down, but if she's worried about it then a phone call to the doctor/nurse should help.
  • Options
    You can't get a UTI from wearing a pad "too much".
  • Options
    Ballerina wrote:
    I know one of my friends had a period that lasted 2 weeks not long ago and she's on it.
    One of the girls I went to Peru with came on her period on the first day, and it lasted almost the entire 3 weeks we were there, and she'd been on the pill for ages.
  • Options
    Definetly get a new type of pill, there are so many out there I guess it's just a case of finding the right one.

As it happens, I unfortunately am having the same problem at the moment and it's very frustrating. It's been a week now, which is strange for me. It could be because I carried on a pack, but if it carries on I'll have to make a GP visit! It's rubbish having it for what feels like forever!!

xxx
  • Options
    cherrypops wrote:
    It could be because I carried on a pack, but if it carries on I'll have to make a GP visit! It's rubbish having it for what feels like forever!!

xxx

That happened to me... period lasted until the next one was supposed to come around. That was a fun month. twice :\
  • Options
    Ah, it's horrible! I probably don't have the right sort of pill because my pains are still just as bad. I wasn't asked any questions by my GP (medical history and what not), I was just given the prescription!

xxx