Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Mental Health Teams/CPNs

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hey guys

Am just after a bit of advice from you anyone that can help really.

I've been struggling badly now for some time with OCD, emetophobia, anxiety and depression. I was formally diagnosed by a psychiatrist in September 2005, and it was estimated I'd had the OCD/Emet since I was about 4 years old.

Things have got progressively worse over the last few months for me - I graduated from Uni with my PGCE in July, but had really suffered while I was studying - everything got too much. I've been out of work since I left Uni, partly because I've been unsuccessful with applications etc, but also partly because I don't feel well enough to work in the current state I'm in. My body weight is very low due to the emetophobia currently.

After years of not being able to claim benefits, I found out I qualified for income support and incapacity benefit and applied for them - but had to go to the Drs to get a sick note to confirm my illness. I went to see a different Dr who gave me the sick note but was horrified to find out that no-one had been checking on me or looking after me since my last psych appt 18 months ago (the Dr I'd seen previous to this refused to put me on a waiting list for CBT or NHS Psychiatry as she said it was too long and wasn't worth it - and told me if I wanted to see a psych I'd have to pay!). She's put in an immediate referral to the Community Mental Health Team with regard to getting me assessed as soon as possible (yay for different Drs!) but didn't really explain much about what would happen.

Has anyone on here got experience of CMHT and what they do and what would happen to me on a first appointment?

Sorry for the long ramble - any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Love Cavegirl
xx

Comments

• Options
    cavegirl wrote:
    I went to see a different Dr who gave me the sick note but was horrified to find out that no-one had been checking on me or looking after me since my last psych appt 18 months ago (the Dr I'd seen previous to this refused to put me on a waiting list for CBT or NHS Psychiatry as she said it was too long and wasn't worth it - and told me if I wanted to see a psych I'd have to pay!).
    sorry to hear of your difficulties. but can i just say that is so bloody typical of the nhs! crap system that it is! i don't know exactly what your appointment will be like, but i'd assume they would ask you lots of questions about whats up with you now and about your background.
  • Options
    The first community appointment (for almost anything) is a kind of assesment, to see how you're coping with things, what support you need (from them and from other agencies) and how often you need to be seeing them, and a general summary of your capabilities.

It's not a test, there are no right or wrong things to happen, treat it like an opportunity to eyeball them, and them to do the same to you.
  • Options
    my mum is a cpn, i'm sure you will be fine. sorry not much to add to this but good luck. :)
  • Options
    It's a shame when things go wrong, because I always had a great deal of support from the NHS when I was suffering badly from depression and BPD.

Initial appointments aren't that scary, the nurse will just ask you questions about how you feel and how you are coping, and will make a decision on what treatment is most appropriate.
  • Options
    Thanks for the replies everyone - am still waiting to hear from them re the appointment, but your help is very much appreciated. Cheers.
  • Options
    Not sure how it works in every area but in my area the Community Mental Health Team has its own benefits advisor. You might find that you can also put in a claim for Disability Living Allowance (although the criteria are quite complicated) as well.
  • Options
    When my doc suggested a CPN she said it would be a nurse coming to my home to see me and make sure i was doing ok, I decided i didnt want that to happen though. Sometimes they go and asminister drugs to people too
  • Options
    The CPN will assess you and see if they will be able to meet your needs, if they can you will be put on a Care Programme Appraoch (CPA), this will be a standard one or an enhanced which will assess your needs and put a programme into place. My understanding is that they will put as little or as much support in that you need, and also signpost you to other services that will be of help.