Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Taking a sabbatical year

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
Anybody here been a sabbatical for their student union?

I am thinking of going for VP Support (basically running campaigns and supporting students who need it).
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    Anybody here been a sabbatical for their student union?

it might help me to answer that if i knew what one of them was :confused:
  • Options
    Ohh sorry... Yeah, it's when you work in the student union either as president, activities (in charge of the societies), media (newspaper) and student support (representing students and their welfare).

Or whatever names the specific university gives them.

You take a year out fulfilling a specific role and get paid. I'd like to do "Student Support", representing students who are in trouble, looking after their welfare, heading campaigns and representing my unversity.

I want to do this because of many reasons, but mostly because I want to help students and because a fair few students have told me they dont like current student support or the student union. I want to try and make things right and all... But I've told that isn't enough, apparently getting in is a popularity contest.

Great
  • Options
    i think the popularity thing depends on your uni. at mine hardly anyone ever nominates themselves anyway so you're pretty much guarenteed to get in regardless. i know a few people who have done it after theyve completed their degrees and their experiences have all been different. some have loved it but others havent just cos it seems like its hard to actually get anything meaningful done no matter how hard you work. at our uni there are no set hours they have to work and nothing to specify exactly what they have to do so they pretty much have to use their initiative the whole time. i think if you're the sort of person that has lots of ideas and is genuinely interested in the role, you'll love it.
  • Options
    Kat_B wrote:
    it seems like its hard to actually get anything meaningful done no matter how hard you work.

I think this is the biggest downfall to it - you can have amazing ideas and amazing plans but in reality, it's difficult to make any real difference, especially during the year you're on sabbatical. I know the sabbaticals at my uni are working really hard on making some real changes this year, but the results won't be seen for another few years - and that'll only be if the sabbaticals over the next few years keep up the hard work.

There's only two sabbatical positions at my uni, the rest of the exec is made up of current students (this year, all in their second year). I'm thinking of running next year, possibly for welfare, but I'm not sure.

I think if you have a good campaign then it's not necessarily down to popularity, but obviously if people know you and like you then you're gonna have a better chance of being voted in.
  • Options
    I'm on a year out, not for sabb but for health reasons. One of the big warnings I've had from my tutors is to make sure I keep a finger in stuff related to my course. I do Chem Eng, so there's lots of maths etc, but you get the standard warning of be aware of taking a year out you need to know that you'll be motivated enough to get back into your course without being too 'out of it' after the year off studying.
  • Options
    I am good friends with the current VP Welfare of our students union and plan to run for the job myself in a couple of years.
    There are some things you need to consider.
    Firstly - you won't be living a student lifestyle. You WILL be working as a sabbatical officer like a proper job, our VP was doing her VP stuff whilst trying to revise for some exams a week into her term... our President was revising for exams 2 months into his term. I know this isn't the same as your situation, you'll probably be graduated - but remember you will have to work pretty much from the 1st August to 31st July with only a few weeks holiday. If it's at the end of your course it's less problem with regards work but can be difficult mid-degree.
    Secondly - you will be a trustee of the students' union and will probably be liable if any other student union officer commits any form of fraud with the assets of the union. You need to be aware that this could be a risk you take - small but it exists.
    In my union, it's so small that everyone knows everybody and as such you are more likely to win the job based on merit rather than popularity. Nevertheless, there is an element of a 'popularity parade' for such positions. You need to be relatively well known to start with, start verbal campaigning early and back it up with a shit-hot poster campaign etc.
    Our union is different in that it doesn't involve majorly in student politics, it exists mostly for the benefit of the students - however some employers dislike people who have been sabbatical officers for SUs, it's just like being a union rep in your career... many employers read 'troublemaker'.
    Also, it's really hard to make a major difference. Most of the changes being implemented now won't reach fruition until i'll be running for the job... most of the changes i'd be making if I got the job I wouldn't even see working... and be prepared for constant criticism along with the praise...
  • Options
    dr_carter wrote:
    I am good friends with the current VP Welfare of our students union and plan to run for the job myself in a couple of years.
    There are some things you need to consider.
    I am going for VP Support, which is pretty much the same as 'VP Welfare'.
    Firstly - you won't be living a student lifestyle. You WILL be working as a sabbatical officer like a proper job, our VP was doing her VP stuff whilst trying to revise for some exams a week into her term... our President was revising for exams 2 months into his term. I know this isn't the same as your situation, you'll probably be graduated - but remember you will have to work pretty much from the 1st August to 31st July with only a few weeks holiday. If it's at the end of your course it's less problem with regards work but can be difficult mid-degree.
    I'm 23 and have been working since I was 16 (and I took a year out and worked long hours in a busy bar) and to be honest, I'd prefer to have a job for a year, the sudent lifestyle isn't busy or challenging enough for me. It's hard to be motivated... Plus I don't see why they were revising for their exams because they were taking a year out... Unless you mean exec (I'm currently an exec).
    Secondly - you will be a trustee of the students' union and will probably be liable if any other student union officer commits any form of fraud with the assets of the union. You need to be aware that this could be a risk you take - small but it exists.
    Of course.
    In my union, it's so small that everyone knows everybody and as such you are more likely to win the job based on merit rather than popularity. Nevertheless, there is an element of a 'popularity parade' for such positions. You need to be relatively well known to start with, start verbal campaigning early and back it up with a shit-hot poster campaign etc.
    See I know a lot of people already from helping organise events, from my exec position, from being in the paper and writing for it and generally from just meeting and talking to strangers. I am also teaming up (maybe, depends if he gets more reliable) with somebody else who is very popular and knows a lot of people.
    Our union is different in that it doesn't involve majorly in student politics, it exists mostly for the benefit of the students - however some employers dislike people who have been sabbatical officers for SUs, it's just like being a union rep in your career... many employers read 'troublemaker'.
    Really? I've heard that it's really good for your CV. Tbh who wants to be employed by a company that doesn't respect worker's rights anyway?

Also, it's really hard to make a major difference. Most of the changes being implemented now won't reach fruition until i'll be running for the job... most of the changes i'd be making if I got the job I wouldn't even see working... and be prepared for constant criticism along with the praise...
    Yeah totally... It's a tough job, but tbh certain sabbs this year aren't always nice and lie a lot and are two faced. At least I'll be an honest person in there.
  • Options
    Lots of problems with terminology in this thread, it all seems to be union specific, for example at the University of Leicester the sabbs are referred to collectively as the Exec...

That aside, i've known the sabbs at my union for several years and most of them have a fantastic time over the year.

Have you been involved with the Union Council throughout your degree? While experience isn't essential, it is certainly useful when deciding on a campaign strategy.
  • Options
    Yeah totally... It's a tough job, but tbh certain sabbs this year aren't always nice and lie a lot and are two faced. At least I'll be an honest person in there.

You're kiddding yourself if you think people will think you're honest though. However good anyones intentions are because of the nature of the role and the information you get at any point in time you'll end up coming across as lying/bad/two faced a certain proportion of the time anyway, and there's nothing you can do to change that.
  • Options
    I am going for VP Support, which is pretty much the same as 'VP Welfare'.

It seems so... here it's VP Education/Welfare officially...
    I'm 23 and have been working since I was 16 (and I took a year out and worked long hours in a busy bar) and to be honest, I'd prefer to have a job for a year, the sudent lifestyle isn't busy or challenging enough for me. It's hard to be motivated... Plus I don't see why they were revising for their exams because they were taking a year out... Unless you mean exec (I'm currently an exec).

Being a medical school, the years are pretty strange. As such, the current VP Welfare came from the third year where the year finishes first full week into August. Therefore she had to do exams about 10 days after taking on the job. The president assumed the position on 1st August too but had to take his written finals in mid-September like the rest of the fourth years...

See I know a lot of people already from helping organise events, from my exec position, from being in the paper and writing for it and generally from just meeting and talking to strangers. I am also teaming up (maybe, depends if he gets more reliable) with somebody else who is very popular and knows a lot of people.

Hmm... we're not allowed to run in teams for sabbs here... it's one person, one position... more of a salary issue than anything else.
    Really? I've heard that it's really good for your CV. Tbh who wants to be employed by a company that doesn't respect worker's rights anyway?

It does depend on the employer... however some companies don't like the idea, others embrace proven leaders, it depends!

Well you'll always be put into a position where someone will think you're not fulfilling your duties. Sometimes if you're always honest you can come across weak and ineffective...
  • Options
    Here you can run in teams, your budget can be combined with another person's.

I guess you guys are right about the whole honesty thing (but at least I will be honest even if people don't think it), it can go so far... But there's a difference between witholding some of the truth and lying or ignoring Emails.