Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

UK Vista 88% more expensive than US

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
http://www.hexus.net/content/item.php?item=7551
Here in the UK, Amazon listed the retail version of Vista Ultimate as a pre-order item for the princely sum of £369.99. Over in the US, Amazon is listing the same software package for $379.00. Based purely on exchange rate, that makes the UK version some 88% more expensive than the version available in the US.

:eek:

Is it Microsoft, or Amazon, who are ripping us off?
The question is, can a US copy be bought, shipped across, still be cheaper after import taxes and install/activate here in Europe? Microsoft will be getting back to us on that one.

We shall have to wait and see I suppose. I guess we shouldn't be surprised, but still, at nearly double the price for exactly the same product, it's hardly fair :(.

Comments

• Options
    what does Vista do that XP doesn't?

It's getting stupid now, for the price of Vista on it's own you can add a bit more and get an entire laptop or desktop PC
  • Options
    I dunno why it's being said that it's particularly expensive. Legit OEM vista ultimate is for sale for 120 quid. Just buy that with a fan or something and you're set.
  • Options
    I was more pointing out the price differential. And are you sure about that Mist? Do you have a source?

The biggest difference between XP and Vista is that Vista will be supported by all major software developers for the next several years primarily. However, just as with XP, it takes more to run it... :confused: (I remember computer games, used to say on the box (Minimum RAM: 128MB (256MB for Windows XP).

However, my point was, how come we in the UK (and the rest of Europe, it seems) get ripped off so badly?
  • Options
    Vista thread *Jumps for joy* aha

Taxes and all sorts of things that happen before its even in the shops, Think about it like this...

PC World (Buys from Their Dealer) >> Dealer (Buys from bigger dealer) >> Bigger Dealer (Buys from microsoft) >>

And think about all the prices included in their and its mainly to make money
  • Options
    CoolMe wrote:
    Vista thread *Jumps for joy* aha

Taxes and all sorts of things that happen before its even in the shops, Think about it like this...

PC World (Buys from Their Dealer) >> Dealer (Buys from bigger dealer) >> Bigger Dealer (Buys from microsoft) >>

And think about all the prices included in their and its mainly to make money

yes but Amazon.com and Amazon.co.uk are the same company. So why the huge difference. We all know Tax is more over here, but its nothing like that.
  • Options
    And are you sure about that Mist? Do you have a source?

Indeed ...

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=SW-041-MS
  • Options
    Also, the price conversion $ = £ is fairly common among computer related stuff I think. We just get ripped off in general, not just Vista.
  • Options
    Just buy it from the US and get it "Gifted" to you so you dont pay duty.

Vista's a pretty shitty gift though ;). XP is far more compatible at the moment, I'll let other chimps like CoolMe be the bleeding edge.
  • Options
    noog wrote:
    though ;). XP is far more compatible at the moment, I'll let other *great*people like CoolMe be the bleeding edge.

You think im great ey:naughty: ahah

I would love it as a gift! Be over the moon so if anyone out there wants to give it to me as a gift im more then welcome!
    Or a "copy" they have haha
  • Options
    When i say gifted, I mean you still pay the US price, and the person in america sends you the disc+key marked as a gift so you don't pay duty.

You chimp :)