Home Drink & Drugs
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Propranolol

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
My doc perscribed them to me to help with aniexty said i shud take one three times a day. In the panflet though its says i shud 40mg dose, but ther only 10mg tablets. Wud it be dangerous to take more?

Comments

• Options
    Take them as prescribed.
  • Options
    The GP has probably had quite a bit of medical training, I'd go with their instructions.
  • Options
    I guess. doenst 10mg sound not that much if it says 40mg in the thingy tho?
  • Options
    Jonny8888 wrote:
    I guess. doenst 10mg sound not that much if it says 40mg in the thingy tho?

It might be that the GP thought that you didnt need the full dose, which is probably a good sign. If its an anti-anxiety drug the smaller dose you can use the better. Has your GP put you forward for some sort of counselling too?
  • Options
    Yeah, i have to wait a month for the initial appointment though, then after that i get put on a waiting list depending on priority.
  • Options
    start with the 10mgs take them as prescribed and if you feel its not enough go back and see your doctor :)
  • Options
    Yes. Propranolol hits you like a BRICK. People starting with the 40mg dose often find the simplest tasks difficult. It's a beta-blocker and on the full dose can be quite scary as it slows your heart rate right down...

Take it as prescribed... this belongs in health btw!
  • Options
    Jonny8888 wrote:
    My doc perscribed them to me to help with aniexty said i shud take one three times a day. In the panflet though its says i shud 40mg dose, but ther only 10mg tablets. Wud it be dangerous to take more?

The doc gets 100k pa for a reason.
  • Options
    deceelpool wrote:
    The doc gets 100k pa for a reason.
    I wish!
  • Options
    I see. thanks for the advice everyone.
  • Options
    I got put on propanolol for anxiety but was given 40mg tablets. And had to take one a day - 2 if it was a really bad day.
    Surely it would make more sense to give you the higher dose tablets so you're not using them up as quickly?
  • Options
    Ballerina wrote:
    Surely it would make more sense to give you the higher dose tablets so you're not using them up as quickly?

No, surely the less of this stuff he needs to take the better, and this way he can space out three small doses throughout the day.
  • Options
    dr_carter wrote:
    Yes. Propranolol hits you like a BRICK. People starting with the 40mg dose often find the simplest tasks difficult.

:yes:

I found a 10mg dose just as effective on my anxiety as the higher doses. In fact, I'd probably have done well on less. All the higher doses did was slooooooooooow me right down. on 30mg+ I could barely function.

I'd definitely agree that the less you can get away with taking, the better.