Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Escapees and Human Rights

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Aparrently, according to ITV teletext, 13 prisoners have escaped from an open prison in Derbyshire, 2 of which are convicted muderers. Derbyshire police refuse to release photos of any of these men as 'identifying them to the general public breaches their human rights.' ?

How do they work that out ?

Comments

• Options
    I cant see that being a human rights issue at all, but it seems to me that the Police are less and less giving out pictures to the general public. Maybe they have just found them to be ineffective, maybe you just end up with loads of false leads?
  • Options
    Maybe they already know where they are. The police generally know a lot more than they let on and only release information/pictures when it will assist them.
  • Options
    RubberSkin wrote:
    Aparrently, according to ITV teletext, 13 prisoners have escaped from an open prison in Derbyshire, 2 of which are convicted muderers. Derbyshire police refuse to release photos of any of these men as 'identifying them to the general public breaches their human rights.' ?

How do they work that out ?
    Because bored and self-righteous members of the public may get on their high horses to beat these people up to make them feel good about themselves.

Wasn't it the News of the World that published a name and shame on pedophiles and innocent people got hurt too because they looked relatively like one of the people in the picture (I heard a pediatrician got attacked... If this is true it just proved the level of intelligence of these knuckle draggers).

But yeah, they should be dealt with by the law and showing their pictures might make the public attack them.
  • Options
    Eeek I won't be going out at dark on my own or to dodgey places now!
  • Options
  • Options
    Because bored and self-righteous members of the public may get on their high horses to beat these people up to make them feel good about themselves.

Wasn't it the News of the World that published a name and shame on pedophiles and innocent people got hurt too because they looked relatively like one of the people in the picture (I heard a pediatrician got attacked... If this is true it just proved the level of intelligence of these knuckle draggers).

But yeah, they should be dealt with by the law and showing their pictures might make the public attack them.

I don't think the possibility of some knuckle dragging vigilante braying an innocent member of the public should remove the ability of the police to issue photos of the prisoners in question.

I think the risk to the public needs to be taken into account on a case-by-case basis. If the criminal is likely to murder, rape, or commit acts of child abuse, then I think the safety of the public definitely comes first. I'd certainly want to know what the guy looked liked if I lived in the local area.

Also, what on earth is an ‘open prison’? Surely by their very nature, prisons are closed?
  • Options
    Also, what on earth is an ‘open prison’? Surely by their very nature, prisons are closed?

An open prison is the lowest form of security, the prisoners are there because they are at the end of their time inside and they are re-adjusting to life on the outside. Some will be able to go out during the day and work and so on. Its basically to stop people from leaving jail and going right back to crime, but because the government doesnt fund it properly (because its seen as soft) it doesnt really work.
  • Options
    I don't think the possibility of some knuckle dragging vigilante braying an innocent member of the public should remove the ability of the police to issue photos of the prisoners in question.

I think the risk to the public needs to be taken into account on a case-by-case basis. If the criminal is likely to murder, rape, or commit acts of child abuse, then I think the safety of the public definitely comes first. I'd certainly want to know what the guy looked liked if I lived in the local area.

Not really... I think if most criminals escaped from prison they wouldn't want to draw attention to themselves by committing crimes. Maybe they could show pictures to people such as bar staff, or whatever like that...

But I think publishing them and putting pictures of them all over the place will both prompt them to go in t hiding making them more difficult to find and also endanger the lives of innocent people. It has happened before and it's unfair if somebody gets attacked by a vigilante. Some people look alike... Showing the pictures to everybody will just spread fear about I think.