Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Shitty fucking wireless makes work hard

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
So my flatmate has got a wireless router so we can finally share the internet... But whilst it seems to always work fine for her it doesn't for me.

It will work for a while then just randomly it'll stop working and I cannot get web pages or msn (but it says signal strength is 'excellent' and doesn't say the connection is broken).

This pisses me off as I have A LOT of work to do at the moment.

Any ideas?

Please somebody help before I punch something

Comments

• Options
    Are you up-to-date with your patches 'cos SP2 sorted out a lot of the wireless problems with XP .. ?
  • Options
    Sounds exactly the same problem i have when i'm at Uni, theres 5 of us sharing a wireless router and it works fine for soem people, but it keeps messing up on mine in the same way it does on yours :(

So i'm no help, but I'm in the same position! So ill be watching this thread!
  • Options
    Funny i ended up not using my wireless like i had wanted. Part of it us boxed up again and the router itself is still connected to my pc. Gave up trying to get it to work as everything suggested on another forum didnt work !

I also noticed that very intermittently the power to the router drops for a split second which was causing me to lose my connection with windows live messenger.

Yet another who will be keeping an eye on this thread.
  • Options
    tried different channels?

loads of things are on the same frequency these days like TV senders
  • Options
    tried different channels?

loads of things are on the same frequency these days like TV senders
    How do I change the channels?
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    There should be a web interface for the router that you can access by going to its IP address with your browser. The setting should be in there.
    Of course you need to know the IP, and a username and password to get administrative rights for the router. Its owner must know.
  • Options
    What's the make of the router?

I bet the username / password is 'admin' / 'admin' :p hehe.

Also, make sure you have a good wireless card. A cheap generic one will give you problems in my experience :(. Also, the router if plugged into a power extension chord will make your lives hell. Silly things.
  • Options
    Update....

It works ok if my flatmate is on it, but if she's online it only works properly for her and not me...

How odd.
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    -Are you both connected wirelessly, or is she with a cable?
    -Are you on DHCP or static IPs (the latter is recommended)?
    -Maybe there's a firewall or "virtual servers" setting and only her IP is set to have access?
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    Wireless is crap.

Erm, all the above, also, if you think it is a weak siginal, make a cantenna (beans can will do). Plenty of online guides - simpliest being get a USB extension cable, make a hole in the bottom of the beans can, poke the extension through and plug in the USB dongle thingumy.

Yeah, SP2, if you do that, BACK UP EVERYTHING IMPORTANT. Seriously. It could well kill windows.

Also, I would recommend checking all the routers settings. Sometimes the simpilest thing can fuck it up.
  • Options
    Update....

It works ok if my flatmate is on it, but if she's online it only works properly for her and not me...

How odd.

If her computer is off can you still connect to the net or does her computer have to be on?