Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Press-ups

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
when doing press-ups is it better to do as many as possible until you have to stop, or do a standard amount?

such as doing 15 everyday for 2 weeks, then 25 for 2 weeks after that, 35 the next etc etc....

Comments

• Options
    It's best to do them in sets. So start off with say 3 sets of 15 reps and work up from there.
  • Options
    drumbeat wrote:
    when doing press-ups is it better to do as many as possible until you have to stop, or do a standard amount?

such as doing 15 everyday for 2 weeks, then 25 for 2 weeks after that, 35 the next etc etc....
    Your muscles will grow bigger and stronger when its rested. Personally I would get a back pack, and shove weights in and do reps of 5-10.
  • Options
    Alright - I'm a complete idiot about this kind of stuff - when people say reps they just mean do that many?

So when people say 3 sets of 15 reps that means do 15 three times?
  • Options
    I think it's short for repetition. Some gym body once told me to do 'rep to fail', as in as many repetitions as you can, then get your breath back and do that same amount again...
  • Options
    katralla wrote:
    I think it's short for repetition. Some gym body once told me to do 'rep to fail', as in as many repetitions as you can, then get your breath back and do that same amount again...

Jim V that's correct.

If you are going to do 'Reps to fail' then it is better to do this on your last set. You do sensible amounts of reps so you can wait 30 seconds or so and continue into another set. Going to fail means recovery time is going to take longer and so the effiecency of the workout decreases.
  • Options
    Jim V wrote:
    Alright - I'm a complete idiot about this kind of stuff - when people say reps they just mean do that many?

So when people say 3 sets of 15 reps that means do 15 three times?

:eek:

Jim V didn't know something? What;s the world coming too. personally I blames those immigrants...
  • Options
    do a set amount, and repeat that 3 times or whever you like each day, your muscles will gradually build up so start to do more.
  • Options
    basically what HIT said, if you want to bulk up... (even tho it's not the best option if you really want that).

More sets with more reps tone the muscles better (if you stretch them afterwards!). If you do that, raise your reps gradually. Like one or two more, each day.

Don't forget to make rests tho. So if you have an extensive training each day, have at least one day for a break, the muscle grows in the periods of not 'using' them....
    Push-ups aren't a suitable example here, tho.