Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Men's fashion - can guy's post here too?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hi Guy's,

I have just had a quick look through this forum and notice that most of the threads are concerning female fashion. Well I'm no posh spice I'm afraid just a guy who is clueless about fashion and wants to make himself more attractive.

I've 6ft2 and have a 34' waist so I'm in reasonable shape. I just need to pick up a few tips. EG My sister tells me I should wear darker jeans rather than lighter ones as darker jeans look nicer. How should I have my hair? etc

Any fashion tips from the ladies would be gratefully received. :wave:

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    well, that depends on your taste really! what kind of look are you thinking of? trendy, casual, smart, rocker, emo, goth, skater? whatever you want, maybe just go shopping one day+try on a load of random clohes you like...im sure you'll find something there u like!
    Thanks sugar mouse. I guess I'm looking for a trendy/casual look (smart jeans, some jumpers etc). Or basically whatever is attractive/will help me to look more attractive. I am currently a baggy t-shirt and light blue jeans guy.
    I find darker jeans look better on men bootcut and not skinny.
    Post a pic of yourself if you got one (preferable full-figure), twill help gauge what will suit your body type etc.

(ps, I'm a guy too :cool: )
    sav wrote:
    Post a pic of yourself if you got one (preferable full-figure), twill help gauge what will suit your body type etc.

(ps, I'm a guy too :cool: )
    Yeah that's a good idea.
    yeah, post a pic!
    where do u like to shop? i find the normal places good for trendy men's clothes; river island, next, topman, burton, etc
    I'll post a pic as soon as I have a full length picture taken. The only shop I have been into in the past is Burton's as I normally buy cheap T-Shirts from Tesco and jeans from designer outlets, as cheap as possible :confused: lol :cool:
    well go places now in the sales.....get some darker jeans (as lea uk said). its all down to personal taste...i like guys who wear wot they wear bcos they like it, NOT because its the latest trend. do like jeans u get when they're worn/slightly ripped, in places!
    I agree with our sister, darker jeans (on he whole) are nicer than lighter ones. Maybe you should try on some more fitted T-shirts and jumpers? Try a size down from what you're wearing at the moment - you don't want anything too fitted and not anything you're not comfortable wearing, but you'll probably find that more fitted stuff gives you a trendier look.

They have lots of nice stuff in Burton at the moment and it's not too expensive, just try anything on that catches your eye and see whether you like it! Don't write something off because you think it doesn't look that great on the hanger, sometimes you can be surprised when you put it on.
    dark jeans, vintage tshirts, hoodies, retro zip-ups, white trainers, converse, whatever man, just mix and match and find something you like and feel comfortable in. if you think it looks good, then it will make you feel good, and everything will be cushty.
    Go to river island/burtons/topman, go mad! :thumb:
    icey wrote:
    Go to river island/burtons/topman, go mad! :thumb:

If you want to look like a chav...

Only kidding, but I'm pretty snobby when it comes to clothes.
    If you want to look like a chav...

Only kidding, but I'm pretty snobby when it comes to clothes.
    haha i agree!

i also agree with addict that if YOU think it looks good, then it will make you feel good

personally, i try to wear things that are interesting and wear them in ways that other people don't.. that way i feel good, and stand out

you don't want to be a topman/burton sheeple clone!!!
    M1nkeh wrote:
    you don't want to be a topman/burton sheeple clone!!!
    Well the op says they want fashion advice. None of us can give that without actually seeing what the op looks like because different styles suit different people and all that. Burtons/topman/river island etc all try to keep up with current fashion trends so buying anything from there will pretty much guarentee they'll at least be a little but fashionable.
    Addict wrote:
    dark jeans, vintage tshirts, hoodies, retro zip-ups, white trainers, converse, whatever man, just mix and match and find something you like and feel comfortable in. if you think it looks good, then it will make you feel good, and everything will be cushty.

Yep, and thumbs up for the use of cushty. Best word ever :thumb:

No pale/stonewash jeans, you don't really want to go for anything lighter than a mid-blue... especially if you're tall as you'll look like a New Jersey gas station attendant circa '84 ;)

You're obviously not a confident shopper so I won't go with my usual reccomendation of charity shops. But department stores are a good idea as they have a range of brands and designers so you get a lot more selection and can glean a better understanding of what's around at the moment colour and stylewise than in somewhere like Topman which will be gearing toward a certain "look" that will be out again in ten seconds flat. Try loads and loads of stuff on, if you're not shy then ask a female sales assistant to give her opinion or point you in the right direction... I used to love that shit when I worked in Debenhams :D Or do you have a fashion-forward mate (male or female) who could come shopping with you? They don't have to be the cutting edge of fashion, just someone who's maybe good at throwing outfits together, mixing colours etc.

All else fails then we can always give you our opinions on here. Good luck! Shopping can be a lot of fairly inexpensive fun if you know what you're doing!