Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

One pregnancy test enough?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hey guys my girlfriend took a test today and it was negative woo hoo!
But i was wondering what the chances are that it was wrong? It says to take it again in 7 days if she still has not gotten her period. (she is currently 3 days late on her period). What are chances i will see different results?

Also, is it reasonable to get a pregnancy every time you have sex without a condom but she is on birth control? We had sex for the first time (in the heat of the moment) without a condom. She is on birth control and has been for a good 6 monthes ATLEAST. So is it reasonable to have her take a pregnancy test after that if we do it rarely? I didn't even cum inside of her i pulled out but still there is precum and all some it makes me wonder.

Comments

• Options
    If she is on the pill then she is very unlikely to fall pregnant if she has been taking it properly as it has a very high success rate. However, if she has had a stomach upset or been sick, there is a possibility.

As for the pregnancy test, it depends when you had unprotected sex. A pregnancy test will not detect a pregnancy until 21 days afterwards.
  • Options
    I only know of two girls that got pregnant through unprotected sex and using other birth control.

The first was on the injection, so I don't know what went wrong there, although she eventually miscarried. The second was on the pill, had an upset tummy, went and had unprotected sex and now she's a mummy.

In the event of a pregnancy scare, I'd be inclined to take two tests to put my mind at rest, and if I was still worried, a trip to the docs.
  • Options
    if shes on the pill and you didnt even come, plus youve had a negative HPT 3 days after her period was due then shes pretty much definitely not pregnant.
    The chances of her being so are so small as to be probably insignificant.
    Chances of pregnancy with unprotected sex at the time of ovulation - no birth control/no condoms are roughly about 25% I think, which is quite a high risk, but not as high as most people seem to think.
  • Options
    If she is on the pill then she is very unlikely to fall pregnant if she has been taking it properly as it has a very high success rate. However, if she has had a stomach upset or been sick, there is a possibility.

As for the pregnancy test, it depends when you had unprotected sex. A pregnancy test will not detect a pregnancy until 21 days afterwards.

If you're on the pill and been sick you could get pregnant? Does it depend on which pill you are on because i'm sure i read somewhere that as long as you are sick after 30 minutes of taking your pill it shouldn't affect it because it will have had chance to get into your blood stream.
  • Options
    I don't know. I'm going by personal experience.

I fell pregnant when I was 18 despite being on the pill. I suspect the reason was because I threw up at the time.
  • Options
    **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
    if shes on the pill and you didnt even come, plus youve had a negative HPT 3 days after her period was due then shes pretty much definitely not pregnant.
    The chances of her being so are so small as to be probably insignificant.
    Chances of pregnancy with unprotected sex at the time of ovulation - no birth control/no condoms are roughly about 25% I think, which is quite a high risk, but not as high as most people seem to think.

:yes: and to be honest with you, no, it's really not reasonable to keep getting pregnancy tests because you had sex without a condom even though your girlfriend is on the pill (which if taken correctly is highly effective)

If she's on the pill, but you're still not comfortable having sex without a condom, then use one. It will be far more cost effective and prevent you worrying about it every time. As you've probably already found, pregnancy tests are expensive and it's bound to lead to undue tension/stress for you and your girlfriend if you can't just work out what contraception you want to use and stick to it.

Yes, most of us are capable of making a slip up, getting lost in the moment etc etc - but it doesn't sound like that's what you're talking about. I'd really recommend you go and speak to someone at a family planning clinic - if you haven't already just to get complete peace of mind about the effectiveness of the contraception you are using. Take care :)
  • Options
    me too, except I was 17. You can easily get pregnant if you miss a pill or throw one up. If shes been taking it properly though and he didnt even come.
    Of course there is still a chance of getting pregnant if using the withdrawal method as your main method of contraception. It does lessen your chances of getting pregnant quite severely, but its not particularly reliable when used on its own.
    Coupled with the pill though shes *really* unlikely to get pregnant, and most pregnancy tests will detect a pregnancy by the day your period was due at least, and most of them will detect a few days beforehand now as well.
    3 days late and no positive result, plus all the precautions theyd been taking..... I really wouldnt panic too much tbh.
  • Options
    squeal wrote:
    i'm sure i read somewhere that as long as you are sick after 30 minutes of taking your pill it shouldn't affect it because it will have had chance to get into your blood stream.
    Thats not true unfortunately
  • Options
    Thats not true unfortunately

I just read this on the internet about the pill that i take "The pill is one of the most reliable forms of contraception and can only go wrong if you have a little slip, such as forgetting to take a pill, being sick within 12 hours of taking the pill or basically if you just do not follow the guidelines".

So therefore if it's over 12 hours since you've taken it and then you're sick you should be safe right?

I was sick about 2 weeks ago :(
  • Options
    If it's over 12 hours since you took the pill and then you're sick then it should be fine. FPA say if you're sick within 2 hours then you should take another one.
  • Options
    You seriously need to calm down. If you didn't come, and she's been taking the pill ok, and the nest is negative - then it speaks for itself really.
    I don't know why you're having sex if you're going to freak out everytime there is a slight possibility. The pill can make your periods go weird, it's made mine dissapear altogether.
  • Options
    im not freaking out atm really, just asking to gain some knowledge. You said a pregnancy test wont pick up a pregnancy until 21 days after you had unprotected sex? Well ours was about 10 or 11 days ago. So does that mean the pregnancy test would be wrong? Would she still miss her period though is she had gotten pregnant when we had unprotected sex? (and when i say unprotected i mean no condom, but yes on the pill)

And as for the upset tummy thing, my girlfriend always has stomach aches, it seems like every 2 or 3 days we doesnt feel well, its not severe but just a little upset tummy. Would that effect the effectivness of the pill?
  • Options
    its still unlikely that she's pregnant. Upset stomachs only affect the pill if she's throwing up/got the runs (basically meaning that it could be passed through without going into her system)
    But like i said, the pill can make her periods lighter and shorter, or dissapear altogether. Which one is she on?
  • Options
    im not sure which one she is on, i will find out later tonight and let you all know. But i do know that she changed birth control about a month ago so this one could be effecting her differently.
  • Options
    Mike_17 wrote:
    im not sure which one she is on, i will find out later tonight and let you all know. But i do know that she changed birth control about a month ago so this one could be effecting her differently.
    thats what happened to me, i switched to a lighter pill with less oestrogen and i don't get periods on my breaks anymore. I went back to the docs about it and he said it was normal, because there isn't enough oestrogen to make lining so no lining, no period.
  • Options
    A pregnancy test will not detect a pregnancy until 21 days afterwards.

How did you come up with that? Sorry but it's not true. Pregnancy tests can accurately detect a pregnancy as early as 8 days past ovulation. If unprotected sex happened any earlier than 5 days before ovulation, the sperm would have died before the egg was released, so there would be no chance of conception. But if unprotected sex happened on the day of ovulation and the egg was fertilised, a test could detect the pregnancy 8 days later. Looking at it the other way round, there are tests that can detect a pregnancy 4 days before the woman's period is due. Certainly 3 days after would potentially be soon enough for pregnancy to show up on a test.

However Mike, I say potentially because the way a pregnancy is detected is by testing how much of a certain hormone (hcg) there is in the woman's urine. This hormone is only produced during pregnancy, but sometimes it takes a while for the woman's body to produce enough to show up on a pregnancy test, which can mean she gets a false negative result. There's no set length of time she'd need to wait before testing again to be sure of an accurate result, so it's up to whoever's paying for the tests!

In your case I think it's highly unlikely she would be pregnant, though. The pill is 98% effective (when taken correctly), and if you think that 7 months is the average length of time it takes to conceive when actively trying (ie. usin no birth control, often 'charting', which is a way of finding out when the woman is ovulating), it's really highly unlikely that someone taking the pill would find herself pregnant after having sex one time. Condoms are 97% effective so combined with the pill, the risks are virtually 0. Would give you added peace of mind for next time!
  • Options
    wildchild wrote:
    How did you come up with that? Sorry but it's not true. Pregnancy tests can accurately detect a pregnancy as early as 8 days past ovulation. If unprotected sex happened any earlier than 5 days before ovulation, the sperm would have died before the egg was released, so there would be no chance of conception. But if unprotected sex happened on the day of ovulation and the egg was fertilised, a test could detect the pregnancy 8 days later. Looking at it the other way round, there are tests that can detect a pregnancy 4 days before the woman's period is due. Certainly 3 days after would potentially be soon enough for pregnancy to show up on a test.
    Excuse me? I came up with it because thats what happened to me a few years back. I'm only regurgitating what the nurses said to me after I miscarried my child.

I took 3 pregnancy tests and all came back negative (and I think I took them between the 7-14 day period). After arguing with the nurse claiming I couldn't have had a miscarriage (as I went to the hospital with very bad pains and heavy bleeding and didn't know what the fuck was happening to me and was so so sure I couldn't have been pregnant) she asked me when I took the pregnancy tests. She then went onto tell me that I should have used the pregnancy test when my period was due. I had this unprotected sex just after my period. She explained how pregnancy tests cannot detect the hormone levels (or something, I can't really remember much, I was in a bit of a state at the time) before the 21 day mark or something.
  • Options
    maybe 21 days from the date of LMP rather than 21days past ovulation or date of unprotected sex, because theres no way thats accurate.
    Most pregnancy tests will detect a healthy pregnancy on the first day of a missed period or even up to 4 days beforehand if its a sensitive test. Mine was detected 2 days before my period was due and that was with a cheap test from poundland - nothing top of the range.
    If the nurse told you 21 days from date of ovulation, then she may have been using outdated information.
  • Options
    Mmm maybe. It happened 2 1/2 years ago now.

I don't understand this ovulation and unprotected sex date. Whats the difference? :confused:
  • Options
    i just mean you can have unprotected sex anything up to 3 or 4 days either side of the date of ovulation and still be at risk of pregnancy so the two dates could be different
  • Options
    Ovulation is when your body releases an egg, unprotected sex date is the date you have unprotected sex.

Preganancy tests detect pregnancy from when your period is due (or slightly before), so I suspect the 21 days things was from your last period.

Mike it'll be fine, and you really don't need to do a pregnancy test each time you have sex without a condom.
  • Options
    well just so you all know, she did get her period now 2 days ago. Although it was about 4 days late she got it. Something i might ask about birth control though... since she switched to the new pill she now has a shorter period according to the way the pill works.

Because now she only takes pleceebo pills for 4 days. Usually i thought in birth control it is 7 days? Once it is time for her period she eighter doesnt take the fake pills or does take them but they are not really birth control they are just fake. But why does some birth control allow for 7 day periods and other for 4 day periods?
  • Options
    Because girls don't like having periods and if you have a shorter break from the active pills it often means a shorter period, and less of the problems associated with them.
  • Options
    Excuse me? I came up with it because thats what happened to me a few years back. I'm only regurgitating what the nurses said to me after I miscarried my child.

Sorry, I didn't want to sound like I was accusing you or anything. I was just wondering where you'd heard that because, like SCC and I said, you can get tests which can detect a pregnancy 4 days before your period is due, so 21 days after unprotected sex seemed very different to that! Sorry if I upset you but I didn't want Mike getting worried because it had only been 10 or 11 days after unprotected sex that his girlfriend had taken the test, not 21.