Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Work and Uni Exams

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
I have a bit of a dilemma.

Started at Uni this time doing a business management degree, with a placement in the third year. My hours at the job I've had for the last 4 years got cut, so I've had to take a second job. 3/4 weeks in a month I do ten hours on a saturday, 4 in the morning (job A) and 6 in the evening (job B). Once a month, I do a 17 hour shift merging both jobs - 6am until 11pm with a 30min break between 4-5pm if I'm lucky.

The dilemma. That 17 hour shift gets me £90, and I'm always low on money - I have a horse and there is always something that needs paying for. However, I'm fine until maybe Monday. And then I'm knackered for the rest of the week, and I have two exams that week, and two the week after.

Based on the fact I haven't started revising yet (Dad in hospital, can't concentrate), should I ditch job A (and 11 of the 17 hours) that week?
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    Well you have a number of options open to you;

1) You could ask for time off around your exam period- if you are going to ditch the job otherwise you have nothing to lose if they say no.

2) Find a job with more accommodating hours so that you are less tired. Some cleaning jobs for example are in the early hours so you work say 3 hours in the morning from 6-9am and that is it out of the way for the whole day.

3) Struggle through with the two jobs you have- this means you will have your steady income but you will be extra stressed/tired and these exams only come once.

4) Ditch both/one of the jobs.

Personally my first plan of action would be number 1 then number 2- I'd look to cut my hours by attempting to find another job which had less hours and hopefully more pay.

Good luck and hope your dad gets better soon. :)
  • Options
    Problem is, those hours (on a normal weekend) are good for me. I get my afternoons to ride, and I don't get to bed too late. It's just that the 17 hour one has typically fallen before my exams, and my birthday happens to be the saturday after. :rolleyes:

Mum's offered to pay horses rent next month, so that's a big help. I talked it through with a friend, and went through my bank statements, and I think having the first weekend off from Job A, and the second off from both jobs would be ok. If push comes to shove, and I don't end up with enough money from xmas/my birthday, I could take the equivalent of my wage out of my student loan. It goes on uni supplies and transport, living at home so I could easily sideline some, and it's just getting it past my parents.

Just need to actually get the time off now. If Job A says no, she can shove her job, because she isn't actually allowed to refuse me time off, as I declined a contract. No paid holidays, but as many holidays as I like whenever I like, within reason so I don't get sacked. :p

Thanks for your help, fingers crossed I get the days off now.
  • Options
    i know its a hard thing to think about but what about selling your horse?

its a big drain on your finances as you say and if you did then you would probably be able to manage with just the one job. maybe sell him to a riding school as in that way you still get to see him but hes not your responsibility?

its is a hard thing to think about if someone told me to get rid off my cat id tell them where to go!

hope your dad gets better!
  • Options
    its is a hard thing to think about if someone told me to get rid off my cat id tell them where to go!

I don't need to say it then. ;)

I've ended up working that 17 hour shift, and possibly tomorrow through to friday as well, which would result in £240 at least, in one week. I wont have the opportunity to earn that kind of money again for a very very long time, so it's incredibly difficult to say no.

Oh fuck it all. I'm going to hibernate. :nervous:

I'm normally ok revising last minute for exams. Time to pull it off again, like a first class idiot. :(
  • Options
    - I have a horse and there is always something that needs paying for. However, I'm fine until maybe Monday. And then I'm knackered for the rest of the week, and I have two exams that week, and two the week after.

Based on the fact I haven't started revising yet (Dad in hospital, can't concentrate), should I ditch job A (and 11 of the 17 hours) that week?

ditch your horse