Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

New Years Resolution Help!!!!

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hey People
I need your advice, my new years resolution is to eat healthier lose weight and tone up! The main parts of my body i wan to tone up are my tummy, arms and legs! I also want to have more energy.
What would you say was the best ways to do so? please include any tips or ideas as they will realy help!

Thanks to everyone that gives their advice it will be realy helpful.

*Sweet_Cheeks*

Comments

• Options
    ok eat properly and do cardio in the gym. thats all.

its better to eat at 2 to 3 hour intervals cos it increases your metabolism. but eat less each time than three times a day meals.

want more tips?
  • Options
    Well I can't help with experience tips in any weight loss, every minute spent at the gym, I make up for in those beautiful croissants burger king has until 10am. oh yes. ... anyways... Working out really helps me with energy. Even if I'm dead tired, after even just waking for 20 minutes, getting that heart rate up and the blood flowing, I"m wide awake after that.

And I read a pretty good article in the magazine I get, it talks about heart rate + weight loss, thought it was an interesting read so I'll share

http://www.lifetimefitness.com/magazine/index.cfm?strWebAction=article_detail&intArticleId=640
  • Options
    As far as losing weight is concerned try drinking a large glass of water before you eat. It will fill you up so you'll eat less.
  • Options
    satehen wrote:
    As far as losing weight is concerned try drinking a large glass of water before you eat. It will fill you up so you'll eat less.
    It will also dilute stomach acids, ands thats not a good thing.

What Mynora Dislexia said, loosing fat is a piece of cake rather than a moon walk.
  • Options
    Tummy, arms and legs - go swimming!!
    Eat small, healthy meals regularly and don't miss meals.
    Snacking on things like apples and seeds will do you the world of good.
    Have a look at weightwatchers.co.uk - they have some great weight loss tips n stuff.

According to weightwatchers, people who stand on the scales every day and more likely to lose weight and keep it off, than those who don't use scales. So go and get yourself a decent pair of scales and put them in the bathroom.

Remember; muscle weighs more than fat so don't get disheartened if you the scales aren't showing what you want them to show - if you're toning up, then you're building muscle as well as losing fat.
  • Options
    According to weightwatchers, people who stand on the scales every day and more likely to lose weight and keep it off, than those who don't use scales. So go and get yourself a decent pair of scales and put them in the bathroom.

They sell scales for about £40! Sounds like BULLSHIT to me...
  • Options
    I didn't say 'go and buy yourself a pair of weightwatchers brand scales'. :thumb:

I got a pair of scales from my local chemist, they were meant to be £45, but were sneakily reduced to a fiver coz the lady who works there knows my mum. Haha.
  • Options
    bargainous! But I'm sure that's what WW were suggesting though, init!
  • Options
    Actually its a pretty well known fact that people looking to lose weight should not use scales all the time because they can be disheartening.
    Go to the gym and speak to one of the advisors there, most good gyms will arrange a unique training program just for you to help maximise your time there.
    Try to eat little and often and only eat when hungry, not because you feel it it the right time to eat, try not to eat too late though, anything heavy after around 9pm will just be absorbed into the body and turned into fat rather than used as an energy source.
  • Options
    TBH when Im dieting I dont even look at the scales, only the mirror. And further on what icey said, cut back on carbs past 6.
  • Options
    icey wrote:
    anything heavy after around 9pm will just be absorbed into the body and turned into fat rather than used as an energy source.

thats actually a myth, it all comes down to how much energy is used throughout the day and how much is eaten.

drinking plenty of water is a good way to speed up your metabolism, its like the 'fuel' to it if you like. regular excercise and sensible eating is the best way to lose weight and tone up. as someone already said, fitness advisors in the gym should be able to help, they can show you some good weight training excercises to help tone up too.

good luck :thumb:
  • Options
    The South Beach diet is a lesser-known diet which I have actually found to work in several people - it's a hardcore two weeks excluding carbohydrates and other foods, then these are gradually returned to the diet... and there's a long-term weight maintenance scheme as well which isn't a diet, more a healthy eating regimen for life. The details are on the internet as well so no buying expensive books.
    In addition, for all body, low-impact muscular development and cardiovascular exercise, I can think of nothing more effective than an ergometer (rowing machine).
  • Options
    dr_carter wrote:
    The South Beach diet is a lesser-known diet which I have actually found to work in several people - it's a hardcore two weeks excluding carbohydrates and other foods, then these are gradually returned to the diet... and there's a long-term weight maintenance scheme as well which isn't a diet, more a healthy eating regimen for life. The details are on the internet as well so no buying expensive books.
    In addition, for all body, low-impact muscular development and cardiovascular exercise, I can think of nothing more effective than an ergometer (rowing machine).

/hey wats the site?