Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Pill and Antibiotics

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
This one has got me stumped, and as usual the packet is no use what so ever.

Been taking antibiotics for the last week, and I know I'm supposed to use extra protection for the duration of the antibiotic course AND for the following 7 days. So I've been thinking that's pretty much the same for if you miss some pills.

Question is, I finish the pill packet 2 days after I finish the antibiotics so should I run straight onto the next packet (like would do if was using extra protection after missing some) or do I carry on with the break as usual?

Comments

• Options
    When i was on antibiotics i had my 7 day break then continued as normal.
  • Options
    I eventually found the 'official' answer.

If you are using (or should be using) additional contraception for any reason (missing pills, vomiting, diareoah, antibiotics) and you get to the end of the packet during this time then you should start the next packet immediately.

Which interestingly I guess means that if you get a weeks course of antibiotics in the last 2 weeks of your packet then you run straight onto the next packet. Bet most don't though.:chin:
  • Options
    Interesting, I'll bear that in mind in the future.
  • Options
    That's what I thought, it's surprisingly diffult to find the answer though!
  • Options
    Oh god, you got me all worried now. I been on antibiotics for the last week and started taking them in the last 2 weeks of taking my pill. (You following?!) My last pill is on weds so does that mean I have to take the next pack straight after. The pharmacist also told me that I should be using extra contraception for the time Im on the antibiotics and 2 WEEKS after.
  • Options
    You shouldn't have a break if you are supposed to be using extra protection. Does that make sense?

So if when you would start your break is while you are still supposed to still be using condoms then run the packets together. They don't make it very clear, but I was told that's the way to be sure you've done it right.
  • Options
    Thats well confusing. Thought doctor or pharmacist would have said something like that. But then the doctor barely spoke so meh. I gotta have extra protection for the next 2 weeks apparently. Thats all I got told. Confusing buggers.
  • Options
    In which case make sure you keep taking the pill for the next two weeks too, then you'll be sure it's working when you no longer need extra protection too.

They are so very rubbish at explaining these things.