Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Locked out of my Laptop

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I changed my password on my xp user account and i have forgotten it .l only have one account so i havent got another to go into for me to get my files . Does anyone know any other way of gettin into it please x

Comments

• Options
    There are several methods for doing this. The first is the simplest:

At the prompt where you click on your account, press ctrl-alt-delete and it will present an alternate login screen. As the user name, type 'administrator' and then your old password, or try 'admin' or something like that. Or even try it without a password. If you get in, just go to control panel, user accounts and change your other password :)

If that doesn't work, you're going to need to download a floppy disk to reset the passwords. This if fairly straightforward still though... let us know how the first bit gets on and if no joy i'll post up linkage and instructions :)

Merry Christmas! x
    Microsoft wrote:
    Windows XP Home Edition or Windows XP Professional in a workgroup
    To log on as Administrator and reset the password, follow these steps:
    1. Restart the computer. After the Power On Self Test (POST), press the F8 key.
    2. On the Windows Advanced Options menu, use the ARROW keys to select Safe Mode, and then press ENTER.
    3. When you are prompted to select the operating system to start, select Microsoft Windows XP edition (where edition is the edition of Windows XP that is installed), and then press ENTER.
    4. On the To begin, click your user name screen, click Administrator.
    5. Type the administrator password, and then press ENTER.

Note In some cases, the Administrator password may be set to a blank password. In this case, do not type a password before you press ENTER.
    6. Click Yes to acknowledge that Windows is running in safe mode.
    7. Click Start, and then click Control Panel (or point to Settings, and then click Control Panel).
    8. Click User Accounts.
    9. Click the user account whose password you want to change.
    10. Click Change the Password if you want to keep a password, or click Remove password if you do not want to use a password. If you remove the password, go to step 11.
    11. Type the new password for the user, and then click Change Password.
    12. Quit the User Accounts tool, and then restart the computer.

:)
  • Options