Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Buy it yourself

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Just a bit of a rant...

Why do people buy themselves presents just before Christmas?

A mate of mine just bought herself a CD that she's been after for a while, people know she wanted it and there was a high chance someone would have bought it for her, but she then goes out and buys it for herself. After telling her this seemed like a bit of a silly thing to do she said that she's not going to let Christmas stop her buying things for herself.

OK, so I haven't got her the CD so it doesn't really affect me, but this has happened before with mates where they buy themselves the present you have got them days before Christmas, leaving you to then rush around at the last minute and find something else.

Does this bother anyone else?

Comments

• Options
    :) I think its just a feel good factor. Went out with a mate the other day and we bought ourselves things we wanted. But, yeah a bit of a pain in the arse from your point of view if shes been going on about it and you were perhaps going to get it for her. Maybe she's just highly desperate to listen to it! I couldn't wait to get my red bra! Been talking about it for ages too :love:
  • Options
    I agree, it's difficult to buy presents when they themselves are going around buying things for themselves. Is it that difficult to give people a chance to buy gifts for you by waiting a week or two?

Almost having double standards of moral here, nearly went out and bought myself a PC game. :rolleyes: But yea, it's not that funny when people do that. Boo.
  • Options
    That won't be a problem for people buying presents for me, I'm skint! I can't afford to get anything for myself!
  • Options
    YES!!!!!!! someone I bought a present for just bought themselves it. Don't fucking buy yourself stuff before christmas!! They're getting it anyway cos I'm not going out to choose something else just cos they can't wait 5 days until christmas! RAH :mad:
  • Options
    at least if you buy your own presents you might have a snowball in hells chance of getting something half decent.
    [bitter/]
  • Options
    The majority of the major stores have a good returns policy this time of year. Orginal, unopened packaging + receipt = cash refund, or at least credit note. So i wouldn't bother about it.
  • Options
    I find it odd that anyone would buy something for themselves before Christmas. If you're getting it for yourself, why not wait for the january sales?
  • Options
    seriously though, does anyone actually get stuff they want for christmas?
    Theres been so many years that the only things ive opened on the day that have been cheap toiletries that ill never actually use, or cheap chocs.
    I wouldnt mind but its usually from people that ive actually thought about what theyd really like.
    I get more and more despondent about it every year. I treat myself sometimes around christmas time as it stops it being such a load of shite.
    I guess if you live with your parents and are still likely to be getting decent presents off people, then maybe its a different matter. Once your past about 16 noone gives a fuck anymore.
  • Options
    nah when you're poor and a student presents can still be appreciated :D
  • Options
    A couple of years ago i bought and wrapped up all my own presents for my stocking as my husband is really crap at ever buying presents ever and most year i get nothing - I think I made the point quite well a I seem to have got stocking presents most years.
  • Options
    i went out christmas shopping last week and half the stuff i bought ended up being for me!! :yes:
    i made sure it was stuff that there wasnt a chance in hell of anyone buying me tho!! most of it was clothes and stuff from shops that you cant get at home on the isle of man so i thought it would be ok!! .. we'll see anyway!!

most of the time tho, i generally do get what i want for xmas!! this year ive asked my dad for some ghds and some irregular choice shoes etc - and i know for a fact that he's got me them because i had to sign for the shoes the other day when the postman came haha! i was happy :D

sometimes i get annoyed about how greedy my sisters get about presents tho :mad: my dad told me and my sisters to make a list each about what we wanted (specific things) and then he'd go out and get whatever was on the list.

my list was comprised of 5 things - all of which were kinda expensive but nothing too big, because i feel really bad asking my dad to spend loads on me. . however my sister sophie (and the other 2 as well but not as bad) asked for :
    xbox 360, nintendo wii, gamecube and computer games, straighteners, digital camera, dvd player, numerous clothes items, mp3 player and a reeally expensive fossil watch - among other things. :impissed: i just think she is being soooo greedy and spoilt by asking for all of that! i know my dad has actually got her most of it, but thats beside the point -
    me personally, i just reeally hate asking for things when its not something i reeally need! i just feel bad about it! dont know why. . my sisters just annoy me sometimes.
    rant over
  • Options
    My Dad always does this. It really pisses me off. :grump: He's hard enough to buy for without him making it more complicated... And his birthday is a few days before christmas too, which just adds to the annoyance.
  • Options
    I never ask for anything for Christmas, and don't expect anything from my friends, so when I do go out shopping before Christmas I'm free to buy what I want.

It's just another day - can't be arse with all the messing around. My mum, dad and brothers get gifts, and that's it.

Bah, hum-bug?

You bet! ;)
  • Options
    Usually i know what i'm getting. I never go and buy stuff that i've asked for, and i'll only get little bits like normal shopping.
  • Options
    I just think the focus of christmas should be less on greedy people with their presents and more on celebrating the holidays, eating good food and spending time with family and friends :cool:

I dont rack my brains about buying people what they want. I normally make thoughtful presents that will be nice for them to keep/eat (only if its an edible present, obviously).
  • Options
    I must admit im always surprised at some of the stuff people get for christmas. I dont know how peoples families afford it tbh
  • Options
    I went out shopping with my mum yesterday and she told me I had £100 to spend on gifts so I got some clothes, a DS game, calender, bag, belt and jewellery and other things I can't remember now. And I will be getting £150 in cash I think as well. My sister is 19 and she will be getting same value of pressies but just £100 cash. I think we have done well there!! She always insists on pressies to open and money to spend. She pretty much just buys my sisters but with me she likes me to choose because I am fussy and she says she would prefer me to know what I am getting and be pleased with it, and her money well spent!

Yeah, I do look forward to christmas day to open my presents and put on my new clothes and that but I also look forward to my Grandma and Grandad coming over, and sitting down and pulling the crackers and eating good food. Then sitting together in a sauna hot front room eating chocolate and watching some old but amazingly good film which I would never sit and watch any other day of the year with my family. I would still be looking forward to the day even if I was not getting the things I have chosen.
  • Options
    I've not bought myself anything in ages but it aint half tempting when theres so many nice things in the shop and things are on offer!!!
  • Options
    ashlee wrote:
    she says she would prefer me to know what I am getting and be pleased with it, and her money well spent!
    My mum's the same. I know the majority of my presents this year because I chose them out shopping. I've put half the money towards an mp3 player so I could have some other presents to open on christmas day too.

My mum will usually go and buy a handbag before Christmas and get me n Dad to wrap it up and give it to her for xmas - that way, we don't have to go through an ordeal like finding a bag we think she'll like....
  • Options
    I must admit im always surprised at some of the stuff people get for christmas. I dont know how peoples families afford it tbh
    It's called Debt.

Or getting the grandparents to fork out £30 on each grandchild so the parent doesn't have to (which is what my dad's foolishly doing for my 5 nieces and nephews.) My brother's so skint that his mum is buying his kids an X Box for christmas. :rolleyes:
  • Options
    my mums the same tbh. She always just gives me money instead of a present. Always comes in handy, tbh though, I never spend it on myself, it just goes on groceries, or easing the burden of buying stuff for others.
  • Options
    I don't get how people go crazy at xmas either. There's no need tbh.
  • Options
  • Options
    I buy stuff for myself. :) But usually I don't buy what I've mentioned to other people just in case they end up buying it. Although that's mostly because I rarely give people a lot of suggestions. :P

I've got two gifts under the tree this year that are from myself (although I didn't directly write that on the gifts ;)). It's stuff that won't go on sales, is very specific (horse items) and too expensive for me to believe any of my friends will give it to me.
  • Options
    Shortay wrote:
    :impissed: grr I know how you feel - my dad's exactly the same, his bday is on the 19th

:lol: Third to that, mines is on the 18th :p I had one gift but not the other until just thursday when he called me while I was in the pooper and left a message saying he was in target and saw an air pump for his bike tires that he wanted. I flushed, washed and went out and bought that.

My boyfriend is an absolute bitch to buy for too. About a week ago I finally got an email that said I can get him a pan or an add on to the new cordless phone he bought. Both just wonderful ideas :yeees: I bought him the damn pan.

Anywyas, back on topic... I rarely buy myself stuff anyways so I never really have the problem of buying myself christmas gifts.
  • Options
    double post