Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

binge eating

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I dont know why, but recently i seem to be eating everything and anything i can get my hands on!! Ive done it for the last 4 days now and its really starting to get me down because i just cant seem to stop myself!! :(

and whats confusing is that im not unhappy with anything at the moment - life seems to be going well for once! met a nice bloke, uni work isnt too demanding and life at home with friends and family is fine for a change!
but.. regardless of that, i just find myself eating, and eating and eating and i dont know why im doing it :(

its not even as if im hungry most of the time - i just always find myself digging round for more. its making me feel (even more) bad about myself. yesterday i got to the point where i ate until the point where i felt sick and felt SO fat that i just went and made myself sick. .. and i did it on the monday too whilst im thinking about it.

im a size 10-12 and i KNOW that that isnt that big, but i look in the mirror, see how awful and flabby i look, get all sad and annoyed - which results in eatng more. obviously this is NOT the way to go about changing my body but.. i dont know :no: my self discipline has gone down the toilet and i have no idea why.

i dont really know whats wrong with me at the moment or what exactly im asking people on here to tell me.. just wanted to get it off my chest :P my mum would just tut at me and tell me to stop being silly

Comments

• Options
    that sounds just like me at the moment hun, except things aint that hunky dory for me, but i havnt made myself sick! i think you should try buying more healthy snacks - stuff like fruit (you could just grab a bowl of grapes or something), veg (carrot sticks?) and low fat yoghurt.....thats wot im going to start doing as of tomo....bcos ive eaten so much crap recently its unreal!
    also....maybe start going swimming or running or something, then you'll see the benefits of your healthy eating - not nessesarily lost weight, but a more toned body.
  • Options
    i go through these little phases where i just wana eat and eat and eat. i usually just go with the flow until my body doesn't want it anymore. i wouldn't worry about it. its xmas! everyones doing it
  • Options
    lipsy wrote:
    i go through these little phases where i just wana eat and eat and eat. i usually just go with the flow until my body doesn't want it anymore. i wouldn't worry about it. its xmas! everyones doing it
    Not making themsleves sick though and the fact she's not happy with her body is relating to this is bad.
    My mum was bullimic and I dabbled, I just grew out of it. I was lonely as a kid but moved to a place with lots of young people. The weight dropped off me when I got out and did things.
    My mum chnged her pattern to going to the gym and burnt everything off but stilled binged a bit.
    But like Lypsy said, lots of people do have a gorge out every now and then and that's fine. It's when it becomes regular that you have problems.
    How long has it been going on for?
  • Options
    oops i didn't read the whole post! just the first bit about wanting to eat and eat!
  • Options
    lipsy wrote:
    oops i didn't read the whole post! just the first bit about wanting to eat and eat!
    lol I do that sometimes
  • Options
    I binge eat all year around. :(
  • Options
    Boredom? Have you recently gone through a phase of not eating much/not having much of an appetite?
  • Options
    I'm not being belittling, but its the darkest bit of winter and its freezing cold. Your body, and all your natural instincts, are to eat lots of fatty and carby foods to prepare yourself for the winter. The fact that we don't suffer scarcity in winter is not the point for your body.

As for the making yourself sick, I expect quite a bit of that is because you seem to feel guilty and out of control by eating, and that making yourself sick is a good way of re-asserting your control. That's why I used to make myself sick, anyway. I'll be buggered if I know what to say to help you not feel guilty about food, though.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    I'm not being belittling, but its the darkest bit of winter and its freezing cold. Your body, and all your natural instincts, are to eat lots of fatty and carby foods to prepare yourself for the winter. The fact that we don't suffer scarcity in winter is not the point for your body.
    Got there before me :yes:
  • Options
    Oh I just wanted to say, I've been experiencing this too. I just can't stop eating. My jaw actually aches from my teeth grinding at nothing. But as Kermit says it's probably just the winter.

I would so love a big bag of greasy chip shop chips right now. Yum.
  • Options
    Keeping yourself busy is the absolute key factor here.

When it's bloody freezing and dark outside and you don't want to venture anywhere then the fridge light does always look very inviting; and having a full, round tummy is very tempting. I should know :p