Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Microsoft Cracking Down on Vista Cracks

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Only Read if you have time [Its very long]
Microsoft went on the offensive today regarding the recent Vista pirating efforts coming out of China and other countries. The WGA blog posted a brief comment, while the PR department issued a wide-ranging press release.
With the exception of products purchased by customers under volume license agreements, users can be confident that 100 percent of the copies of Windows Vista advertised for purchase or download prior to the January 30, 2007 consumer general availability date are counterfeit, and that any new PC purchased and pre-loaded with Windows Vista prior to general availability is improperly licensed or counterfeit software, and carries a risk of hacks, Trojans or other malware.

As part of its ongoing efforts to protect customers, Microsoft will periodically review product keys that appear to have been leaked or stolen, and will thoroughly investigate reports of system file tampering. Because a system file tamper compromises the integrity of the operating system, and puts the user at risk, reinstallation of the operating system may be required. For product keys that have been determined to be illegally obtained or distributed, Microsoft will block these keys, which will eventually result in the system losing access to product enhancements and having certain features disabled. In some cases, the user will be asked to reactivate with a genuine product key. Failure to reactivate will result in that copy of Windows Vista being placed into a reduced functionally mode, as explained in our October “Software Protection Platform” announcement. It is important to note that even in reduced functionality mode users can always gain access to their personal data.

In the event illegal workarounds or other counterfeit Windows Vista code are posted to the Internet or become available through other means, Microsoft will take appropriate action to protect users from the risks of using counterfeit copies and to protect its intellectual property. Microsoft may take additional steps to stop the spread and use of counterfeit versions of Windows Vista by releasing updates to the software, and then distributing the updates using various mechanisms, such as posting them on Microsoft.com and/or through Windows Update.

This week, Microsoft released such an update, which detects tampering of Windows Vista by mixing files from various test and final versions of the software in order to work around licensing mechanisms. When detected, these unauthorized copies will be given a 30-day grace period, after which they will be placed into a reduced functionality mode. This week’s update will only affect systems that are running a specific binary-tampered version of Windows Vista (emphasis mine).

Come on pirates. You thought Microsoft was going to sit on the sidelines this time?

Comments

• Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    Ahaha. That amused me this morning.

I was imformed of one update availible. I looked. It said "Windows Verification Update".

I clicked cancel. :lol:
  • Options
    Psh, they'd be protecting users better if they scrapped WGA altogether :P
  • Options
    noog wrote:
    Psh, they'd be protecting users better if they scrapped WGA altogether :P

True. It's caused no end of annoyance to legitimate users, and the pirates just work around it anyway.
  • Options
    Mist wrote:
    True. It's caused no end of annoyance to legitimate users, and the pirates just work around it anyway.

But at the same time I understand the need to protect their Intellectual property, I dont think Windows 98/ME/2000 were pirated on the same scale as XP, due to lack of broadband/cd writers at the time. I dont like it when they claim WGA is in people's best interests, I dont see how stopping pirated xp from recieving critical updates is in anyones best interest.

Bastards.
  • Options
    Good on them, I say. If you knew how hard the software developers for Microsoft worked on Windows, then you'd be annoyed too when some 1 in 4 copies of the OS is pirated.

I admit to using 'hacked' versions of Windows, but these are merely compilations that have extra features and remove bloat, I have my own licences if need be.

To CTSM: "[Its very long]" :confused: no it's not, are we missing some of it?
  • Options
    To be honest, anyone who wants to pirate a copy of XP probably knows by now that they can go to any public school/university/hospital/auction and take a snap of a licence sticker from a major OEM such as dell/hp and just provide that key to XP and have it activate/update fine. I'm pretty sure this will work with vista too, as I cant see dell employing people to key in the serials for every pc they ship.
  • Options
    To CTSM: "[Its very long]" :confused: no it's not, are we missing some of it?

To TSBITC: Would you like a pair of glasses?

;)
  • Options
    To TSBITC: Would you like a pair of glasses?

;)

I'm still lost.

Unless you're referring to the ellipses. :confused:
  • Options
    littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    I'm still lost.

Unless you're referring to the ellipses. :confused:

Pssst, it wasn't CTSM who made the original post :p
  • Options
    ^Thankyou! :)
  • Options