Home› Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Social Anxiety pills

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hello, I read on the shyness article that there are pills that can help with social anxiety. Does that mean that I can see my doctor and ask him to prescribe me some?

Comments

• Options
    If you have a really crappy doctor, probably. I have been on pills for that for a loooong time. Alot of the medications that are prescribed for depression are the same ones used in social anxiety. I would skip over the doctor and go right to a psychologist or psychatrist. They can prescribe you medication, but medication should take the backseat. Therapy which can include learning techniques of socalizing, coping and identifying and changing your thought process are very very helpfull.

For personal experience, I saw a head doctor for over a decade for a combination of general, social anxiety and depression. When it came to the social anxiety, nothing was a greater help than learning what was causing the fear and learning to overcome it. I used to avoid going out. I'd tell friends I couldn't, then sit home and mope, I would have panic attacks if I ever were to go into a new public situation. I never went to a graduation party becasue I would hyperventalate and start crying before I even got there. There would be months at a time where I wouldn't leave the house except for school because it was too much. But it is almost 100% different now.

Don't rely on medication. Social anxiety is something that can be treated and overcome, but in my opinion, most effectivly through practice and help.
  • Options
    I suffered from Social Phobia a few years ago (and still do to an extent) but I chose not to go down the medication route.

If you choose to, there are 2 main options. Anti-depressants and Beta Blockers - beta blockers stop the physical aspects of anxiety and therefore you are able to control the mental aspects much easier.

You'd be best speaking to your GP about your anxiety. If he can't/won't help you, ask to be referred to someone who can/will. Goodluck.

ETA: I agree with my_name - pills will only help you so far. The hardest part is the part you control - your mental anxiety and ultimately it's you that will overcome that.
  • Options
    weed - no prescription required :p
  • Options
    otter wrote:
    Yeh, turn yourself into a zombie 24/7. Yep, no need to deal with the problem at hand, let's just get mashed and forget all about it. :yeees:
  • Options
    otter wrote:
    not for people with mental disabilities, in fact it could turn you into a paranoid recluse.
  • Options
    Weed can cause pyschosis in anyone, mental health problems or not. :yes:
  • Options
    TBH Pills will only mask the situation. You need to be trying to resolve it rather than rely on something artificial. Not easy I know.
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,286 Skive's The Limit

Evidence for that please?
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Skive wrote:
    Evidence for that please?
    I can't be arsed... Mum'll have it somewhere. She's a project manager at Turning Point - a substance misuse service.
  • Options
    Mihilz wrote:
    Hello, I read on the shyness article that there are pills that can help with social anxiety. Does that mean that I can see my doctor and ask him to prescribe me some?
    Pills may only mask the problem. I personally feel counselling would be a better option. My mum suffers from it, she is on tablets and they havnt done alot. I bought her hypnosis cd this Christmas in hope that it will work.
  • Options
    HIT wrote:
    I bought her hypnosis cd this Christmas in hope that it will work.
    I had private hypnotherapy to help with my social anxiety and I have to say, the actual sessions didn't work, but the CD he made for me did! I still listen to it occasionally, when I'm feeling wobby.
  • Options
    Well, maybe but people who I know who suffer from this are of either the shy or crazy type and were before taking. Obviously I don't know everyone though and I don't think weed suits everyone.
  • Options
    BarradellBarradell Deactivated Posts: 10 Settling in
    It can be tough sometimes when you feel shy and there are a number of points that are covered in the replies here you might want to consider.

TheSite.org features an article here that talks about shyness, some coping strategies and provides a link to some more information on medication.

Hope this helps, but of course feel free to keep posting on the boards. :)
  • Options
    Barradell wrote:
    It can be tough sometimes when you feel shy and there are a number of points that are covered in the replies here you might want to consider.

TheSite.org features an article here that talks about shyness, some coping strategies and provides a link to some more information on medication.

Hope this helps, but of course feel free to keep posting on the boards. :)
    Just to point out (probably pointlessly) that shyness and social anxiety are on completely different levels, and aren't the same. :yes:
  • Options
    i suffered severe panic attacks at school a while ago, so bad i was either not going in or being sent home 90% of the time. I got put on beta-blockers, so i would be calm enough to go back without going to pieces. And had some councelling. Beta-blockers really were a god send for me, i still have to use them occasionally when i feel a random one coming on.
  • Options

It can, but its very unlikely unless you have the genetic markers.
  • Options
    I'd like to be able to actually get some sort of perscription. It's awesome how children decide to misuse these chemicals so much and their pompous parents blame the doctors so that the doctors are actually more restrictive and invasive with their perscriptions.

It's so awesome that I want to dance, wearing nothing but a badge on my nipple and playing the fiddle backwards.