Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Nit removal- help!

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I look after 4 kids three times a week and have found out they have nits. I had a shower tonight and have found out that- whoopdi fucking do- so do I. I wouldn't mind so much, but I had them for years and it took me forever to get rid of them, so I'm a little obsessive about getting rid of them again.
So here's my question- does anyone have some nit removal remedies that they've found pretty infallible? Another problem is that my family has a history of reacting to Organic Phosphates- causes cancer- and apparently the majority of nit poison has OPs in them, so if anyone knows of any nit poisons without OPs, thatd be great as well.

I really appreciate any help.
A xxx

Comments

• Options
    My mum always used lavander oil on me when I was a kid and got nits... Seemed to work pretty well. Think you dilute a few drops with water and comb it through the hair.
  • Options
    littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    The only thing that I have ever found that works on nits is to sit down, put lots of conditioner in your hair and patiently comb them out with a metal nit comb. Never really found that any of the remedies work.

Also, for future reference, apparently they don't like tea tree oil so I use a tea tree oil based shampoo / conditioner (original source have a nice one).
  • Options
    i remember my mum using something that had the word 'tar' in its name.....it got rid of them easy.
  • Options
    Ballerina wrote:
    i remember my mum using something that had the word 'tar' in its name.....it got rid of them easy.
    Tar? :eek2:
  • Options
    The only thing that I have ever found that works on nits is to sit down, put lots of conditioner in your hair and patiently comb them out with a metal nit comb. Never really found that any of the remedies work.

Also, for future reference, apparently they don't like tea tree oil so I use a tea tree oil based shampoo / conditioner (original source have a nice one).
    I'm currently doing the conditioner and nit comb thing, but the tea tree oil idea seems a good one, thankee :thumb:
  • Options
    Ballerina wrote:

Polytar?

I'm sure that polytar is a dandruff shampoo.
  • Options
    AmsyBamsy wrote:
    I'm currently doing the conditioner and nit comb thing, but the tea tree oil idea seems a good one, thankee :thumb:
    It may simply be an old wives tale, but I do like the conditioner so am quite happy to believe it :thumb:

The idea of nits really scares me. I work in a school and most of the children are crawling with nits but bar keep my hair clean and completely tied back, there isn't much I can do about it. It is even making me itch thinking about it :yuck:
  • Options
    Polytar?

I'm sure that polytar is a dandruff shampoo.
    can't remember, it was a nit shampoo and it was over the counter - smelt vile but it got rid of the buggers. But my mum also sat me down and combed out the stubborn ones.

One time when i had them she gave up on shampoos and just sat me down and spent 4 hours combing them out!
  • Options
    Ballerina wrote:
    can't remember, it was a nit shampoo and it was over the counter - smelt vile but it got rid of the buggers. But my mum also sat me down and combed out the stubborn ones.

One time when i had them she gave up on shampoos and just sat me down and spent 4 hours combing them out!
    I've been combing them out, but they're all the small buggers, and are a damn sight harder to remove. :grump:
  • Options
    I'm prone to the buggers.

I condition my hair thoroughly (roots included although I know it's not ideal) every time I wash it - stops the eggs sticking. I also use tea tree oil in my shampoo and conditioner - 4/5 drops of the pure stuff and after a week or so of that every other day, they're gone.
  • Options
    When I was young I had nits quite often (my best friend in lower school had hair down to her bum and was permanently infested) and we found an electric nit comb in Boots. It was about £25 but was amazing. It electrocutes the buggers, killing them, it also removes the eggs because of the fine comb - it beeps when it's found a live nit too.

I dunno if they still sell them, it was a few years ago now, but worth a look perhaps.

ETA; http://www.expresschemist.co.uk/product_1732_oris-robi-comb-head-lice-comb.html
  • Options
    The only thing that ever worked for me as a kid was to wash hair, out loads of conditioner in it, stand over the bath and comb them out.
  • Options
    When I was young I had nits quite often (my best friend in lower school had hair down to her bum and was permanently infested) and we found an electric nit comb in Boots. It was about £25 but was amazing. It electrocutes the buggers, killing them, it also removes the eggs because of the fine comb - it beeps when it's found a live nit too.

I dunno if they still sell them, it was a few years ago now, but worth a look perhaps.

ETA; http://www.expresschemist.co.uk/product_1732_oris-robi-comb-head-lice-comb.html
    Yep, that;s the Robi comb. We've got it..somewhere. Mum has got me something called Hedrin which doesn;t have Organophosphates, so I hope it works. If it does I'll let you know!
  • Options
    Absolutely no idea if this it true, but I heard that vinegar is supposed to get rid of them (has anyone else heard that?) but your best bet is probably the conditioner and comb method.
  • Options
    The tea tree thing worked for me, they just kept going round and round my kids school when the older ones were little. I got some leave in conditioner, put 4 or 5 drops of tea tree in a blob of that and combed it through. My kids almost never had them whilst everyone else seemed to get them every five minutes.