Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Non-vegetarian vegetarian party food

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I'm having a get together on new years so I want to do some buffet/snacky foods. Not for a whole meal, just for people to snack on. I don't eat meat or fish and I'm not going to buy meat or fish for the party.
Now I'm quite adventurous with food but I know a lot of people aren't so I don't want to freak them all out with my weird food tastes! Any ideas for simple (and cheap) veggie party foods that every1 will like? Also that can be made in advance and served cold

I'm getting a few pizzas in and chopping them into little slices, chips and dips and of course the classic cheese and pinapple on sticks (even if I eat them all)

Comments

• Options
    mushroom volubloodyvonts however they are spelt!
    sticks of carrots and cucumber for your dips
    cheese straws
    cheese/egg open rolls
    veg samosas
    veg spring rolls
  • Options
    Stuff like veg spring rolls and samosas can be pricey when there's a crowd and we haven't got a lot to spend so I was planning to cook most of it. Tried making samosas before and it didn't turn out too funky
  • Options
    http://www.deliaonline.com/recipes/selections-gallery/vegetarian-party-food,1030,RS.html

Or you could just make a big bowl of veg chilli, some nachos, bit of salad and a few dips. Or veg soup and crusty bread.
  • Options
    Mini bruschettas with tapenade are brill.

Whizz up some black olives with olive oil, lemon juice, a small bit of garlic and some capers, then spread it on bruschettas.
  • Options
    Gazpacho :yum:

I always make it at parties and it goes down well, but most of the people I know have extremely adventurous tastes and would eat pretty much anything, ha. You could even have a bash at vegetarian sushi which I did for my fella's birthday party... didn't turn out too well but it got eaten... I never was the cooking type ;)

Otherwise rice/pasta/bean salad, pickled onions cheese and pineapple on sticks (always a winner!), homemade potato wedges, cheese and oatcakes/crackers, fruit salad. Or you could do "build your own sundae" with basic ice creams and then loads of daft sweets and sauces, I love that (not that I'm coming but I still do :razz:)
  • Options
    I had a look at delia but I can't see people eating brown lentil salad its a bit adventurous. Bruschetta sounds like a plan. I'm doing a pasta salad. Everyone seems to avoid beans like the plague though!

Build your own sundae sounds fucking awesome!
  • Options
    How about vegetarian sausage rolls, (they taste like meat to me), cheese sandwhiches, vol au vents, crisps etc..
  • Options
    As a few have said, bruschetta, and they're so easy to make yourself. Chopped mozarella, tomato and basil is nice. Pesto with a shaving or 2 of parmesan (the sun dried tomato pesto goes down better). Caramelised onion and balsamic vinegar. Cream cheese, lemon and dill. Cream cheese and cracked pepper. Mozarella and sun dried tomatoes. Vegetarian pate.

Stuffed cherry tomatoes, popular at my do's.

Cheese and onion rolls.

Crudites/bread snacks and dips.

Sainsburys' have a 3 for £5 deal on their party food and they do some nice indian/chinese vegetarian packs.
  • Options
    RubberSkin wrote:
    Sainsburys' have a 3 for £5 deal on their party food and they do some nice indian/chinese vegetarian packs.
    I love their party food range!
  • Options
    Just to add a few more suggestions, Peppers stuffed with rice, stuffed portabello mushrooms, stuffed beef tomatoes. Well seeing as its xmas you gotta make sure its all stuffed!!